Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #106
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
How many ereader owners no longer want an iPad?
That's a very good question as well. I know having an eReader doesn't stop me from wanting an iPad.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #107
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I think any such "feud" is mostly imaginary.

Such hostile reactions exist just about every time Apple comes out with a new product that is instantly hyped as the "greatest thing ever". It has nothing to do with EPD, or even eBooks. Same thing happened with the iPhone, iPod... etc. Reactions to the current iPad marketing machine are no different.
That's a pretty funny joke.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #108
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Color is certainly an option with bestselling authors like Danielle Steele, Stephen King, John Grisham, etc., but it's rarely used. Apparently it isn't worth the added expense, minimal though it would be for those print runs. Who needs color chapter titles? The only ones I've seen, on ebooks for PCs, have been a hideous blue that I would pay extra to have in black.

As for "serious reading" I think there's some confusion between "serious reading" and "serious readers." Certainly most fiction reading is for entertainment, and most of it is trivial, but a "serious reader" reads a lot of it. In this sense, the word "serious" doesn't mean "grim and weighty" but "someone who does a lot of something."

Color is much more important in non-fiction, especially textbooks, for graphs and charts and illustrations and such, than in most fiction reading. Any sort of ereading device for the education market has to address that.

I've played a bit with iPads but I've yet to find a single function I want in that form factor, let alone one that I'd pay $500 or more for. I like GPS, but I only need it in my car, where I have it. I prefer typing at a real, not virtual keyboard (and don't even like Apple's "Chiclet" keyboards), which I have on my desktop pc and netbook. Ereading is nice, but I prefer my Kobo. TV...give me a big screen and a kickass sound system, please. Music...my iPod fits in my pocket. Games...don't play 'em. Photos...okay, I need to put a picture of my dog in my wallet, you got me on that one.

I'm glad that people love their iPads and do whatever they do with them, but speaking for myself only, I don't even want one.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #109
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Color is certainly an option with bestselling authors like Danielle Steele, Stephen King, John Grisham, etc., but it's rarely used. Apparently it isn't worth the added expense, minimal though it would be for those print runs. Who needs color chapter titles? The only ones I've seen, on ebooks for PCs, have been a hideous blue that I would pay extra to have in black.

As for "serious reading" I think there's some confusion between "serious reading" and "serious readers." Certainly most fiction reading is for entertainment, and most of it is trivial, but a "serious reader" reads a lot of it. In this sense, the word "serious" doesn't mean "grim and weighty" but "someone who does a lot of something."
I'm clear on the definitions of "serious." I tend to use it mockingly when people dismiss color as not for serious readers.

I happen to be a serious reader who sees the value of color for serious reading, as well as for lighter reading.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #110
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
As a serious traveller, if I ever buy an iPad I suspect my E-ink e-reader will mostly collect dust. I don't want to travel with more devices than necessary. I've got enough crap I have to drag around. If an iPad would be acceptible to my eyes for, say, six hours of reading (TBD) then I see no reason I'd also carry a separate e-reader.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #111
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
As a serious traveller, if I ever buy an iPad I suspect my E-ink e-reader will mostly collect dust. I don't want to travel with more devices than necessary. I've got enough crap I have to drag around. If an iPad would be acceptible to my eyes for, say, six hours of reading (TBD) then I see no reason I'd also carry a separate e-reader.
I ended up selling my kindle the ipad works just fine for me for all of the above. I have read several novels on it and found the experience very pleasing. The only thing for sure is that you can not read in direct sunlight (even a little shade is quite readable though). I live in Phoenix and it is a 111 today so the amount of time I read in direct sunlight is really really small

( I would expect that the same is true for many people even those who do not live in a blast furnace like me)
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #112
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
I ended up selling my kindle the ipad works just fine for me for all of the above. I have read several novels on it and found the experience very pleasing. The only thing for sure is that you can not read in direct sunlight (even a little shade is quite readable though). I live in Phoenix and it is a 111 today so the amount of time I read in direct sunlight is really really small

( I would expect that the same is true for many people even those who do not live in a blast furnace like me)
I travel a lot, too. I used to take my Kindle everywhere, including on trips. iPad meets all my reading needs now, though. I still have my Kindle, in case I accidentally kill my iPad. If that happened, I would get another tablet asap. I'm hoping that competitors will come up with even better tablets soon.

About reading in direct sunlight: I've never cared for it, especially while growing up in the tropics.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #113
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Well, in summer here in Taiwan I wouldn't be caught dead reading out in the sunlight in summer, but late November to early March it sure feels nice.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:50 AM   #114
*reg*
Human
*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo, iPhone
Quote:
How many ereader owners no longer want an iPad?
I'm putting my hand up.

I really only considered the iPad for the e-reading capabilities.

Now between my Kobo, iMac and iPhone, I have no need for the iPad.
*reg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:54 AM   #115
flexnib
flexnib began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-T2, PRS 950, PRS 350
I have both an iPad and a Kobo and actually find that I enjoy reading on the Kobo better.

The eInk is more pleasant on my eyes, especially when I read for hours. (I read a fair bit, 100 or so books a year.)

The Kobo is light and less bulky and doesn't hurt my face if I fall asleep reading in bed
flexnib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:02 AM   #116
*reg*
Human
*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexnib View Post

The Kobo is light and less bulky and doesn't hurt my face if I fall asleep reading in bed
But the question is, does your face hurt the Kobo?
*reg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:41 AM   #117
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Now that I have my iPad, it's pretty sweet as an Internet appliance (I'm writing this on it), but it won't replace my Graphite for reading books. It probably will mostly replace my laptop. But if I were traveling and could only take one, it would be the iPad. The iPad does reading better than the Kindle does Internet.

Last edited by Talldog; 07-13-2010 at 05:44 AM.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:22 AM   #118
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
Now that I have my iPad, it's pretty sweet as an Internet appliance (I'm writing this on it), but it won't replace my Graphite for reading books. It probably will mostly replace my laptop. But if I were traveling and could only take one, it would be the iPad. The iPad does reading better than the Kindle does Internet.
Everyone is different, but give it some time..... You may find the iPad getting more and more of your reading

Also, if you travel by motorhome, there are lots of travel and campground apps....etc....

with about 250,000 applications, there is something for just about anything you can think of.....After 3 months with the iPad it has replace my netbook, Sony reader and Nintendo DS lite. And, except for Photoshop and Music Production it has replaced my desktop as well....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #119
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
There are many people in this world who are convinced you are wrong . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
As for "coolness": It's not something you can buy.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #120
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
There are many people in this world who are convinced you are wrong . . .
Luckily, what they think doesn't affect what I think.