Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-16-2010, 10:20 PM   #151
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Whatever ereader works for you and makes you happy is the right one.
Same with spouses, lol.

Agreed on mutual respect. Lots of laughter helps, too.

My husband and I are closing in on 17 years.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:27 PM   #152
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
It might be right to ask if the request decreases the financial assets of the partner (buying a house, car, ... on credit) but despite these exceptions I see no reason to ask if you buy a tiny hardware device like an iPad (with your own money).
If an iPad is a tiny expenditure for you, feel free to buy me one. For me, buying an iPad would mean that we don't go out for a few months or that I have to get afterschool work for a few weeks., so forgive me if I don't have the same attitude as you do...
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 05:00 AM   #153
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I could easily afford an iPad, but since it is too big and heavy as a reading device, too underpowered as a computer substitute I really consider it to be a needless waste of money at this time.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:07 AM   #154
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I could easily afford an iPad, but since it is too big and heavy as a reading device, too underpowered as a computer substitute I really consider it to be a needless waste of money at this time.
That's how I see it as well... Yes, it's a good looking device, and yes, it's "cool" to have one. But I just can't justify the cost of it. Not to myself, not to my husband.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #155
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
That's how I see it as well... Yes, it's a good looking device, and yes, it's "cool" to have one. But I just can't justify the cost of it. Not to myself, not to my husband.
Along the same lines, it might be easier for some people to justify the cost of an iPad, because it does many things. Personal preference and finances vary, is all.

I can easily afford an iPad and a Kindle. I bought the Kindle at $359 and got lots of use out of it over 15 months. All the same, if iPad had come out first, it would've been wasteful for me to buy a Kindle (or other e-reader), too, because I can read on iPad without problem, as well as do other things on it.
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #156
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Indeed ...

Do not put your faith in what statistics say until you have carefully considered what they do not say. -William W. Watt
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #157
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
It makes a great Internet appliance, though. I hardly touch my laptop since I got this.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:24 PM   #158
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
It makes a great Internet appliance, though. I hardly touch my laptop since I got this.
Not for many. Not without Flash.

That's why I don't have one.

On the other hand, I've been playing with the iPads of various friends quite a bit lately, and slowly realized that in my case, a tablet may be a fairly useless device:

*I am next to a large screen computer both at home and at the office. Even if it had Flash capabilities (as the upcoming Androids will), I'd rather browse the web on a larger screen. Or type emails with a real keyboard.

*When I am out, I carry my smart phone (until recently a 3.5" iPhone 3Gs, now a 4" Super AMOLED Galaxy S). I can look up something on the web in a pinch (and it does Flash), or can check email. And it is much more portable than the iPad.

*When I travel, I always do so with a Mac Book Pro. Which I like better for email and the web, and I can work on it as well. Plus, the 10h battery life is not even enough for many overseas flights, while the Kindle can last a whole vacation without recharge.

*I can read on the iPad, but really prefer to read on e-ink. I would have considered a tablet for magazines, but the iPad's screen is too small for regular-sized PDFs, so it offers no benefit here either.

Finally, I do notice that for most of my friends, the iPad slowly becomes a less used device. They all seem to be going back to doing more on their smart phones or computers. I guess this is why I got to play with their iPads so much...
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:01 PM   #159
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And that is the way it will stay for me until:

1.)We will get a tablet with full computer functionality and at least 6 hours of battery life that doesn't run hot to replace my current laptop -- or

2.)We will get new screen technology like Mirasol or similar in a form factor like the Irex 800 but around 10" (super thin and light with almost no bezel and weeks of battery life).

But why buy a tablet that can do less than my phone and less than my laptop just to have an additional toy to play around with? It really only makes sense for those who are fully satisfied using it as their main reader.

Last edited by HansTWN; 07-19-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:14 PM   #160
Maggie Leung
Wizard

I can understand why an iPad might not appeal to many people. I'm puzzled why people will go on about why they don't need one, though. I don't need a lot of devices, but I don't spend time thinking and posting about them.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #161
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I can understand why an iPad might not appeal to many people. I'm puzzled why people will go on about why they don't need one, though. I don't need a lot of devices, but I don't spend time thinking and posting about them.
That would take forever, just with the devices in the forums here
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #162
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Because we are interested in gadgets and were contemplating the ipad. Sort of a public brainstorming that helps us and others to make up their minds. Also because we want to use a public forum to tell manufacturers what we really want and how current devices are lacking. I don't see anything wrong with that.

No need to take it personal, enjoy your Ipad.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #163
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Because we are interested in gadgets and were contemplating the ipad. Sort of a public brainstorming that helps us and others to make up their minds. Also because we want to use a public forum to tell manufacturers what we really want and how current devices are lacking. I don't see anything wrong with that.

No need to take it personal, enjoy your Ipad.
Not personal. I'm very interested in behavior, buying patterns and such. I'm strange that way, lol. It's one reason I love forums; I get to watch people.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:49 AM   #164
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
... I'm puzzled why people will go on about why they don't need one, though. I don't need a lot of devices, but I don't spend time thinking and posting about them.
Dunno, Maggie.

Perhaps it's similar to some people spending time thinking and posting about how they don't understand why some other people go on about something....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:56 AM   #165
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Dunno, Maggie.

Perhaps it's similar to some people spending time thinking and posting about how they don't understand why some other people go on about something....
Lol.