Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-20-2023, 02:39 PM   #1
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
[Request] Additional reports

Hello @kovidgoyal

Often I find spurious code scattered throughout the ebook and these elements can be overlooked during clean up. Only by stumbling across them by accident, or reading the book in editor view, are you able to find them. For example, finding a single <tt></tt> element in a 150,000 word book will be quite difficult. (assume that you don't know it is there)

The reports component of the Editor is a very useful feature, but I find it a bit lacking and does not provide a complete overview of the coding, so the spurious codes can be overlooked during cleanup. For this reason I would like to request additional reports to give a complete view of the coding in the ebook.

In particular, I am referring to the two reports "Style rules" and "Style classes"

"Style Rules" simply lists the complete css file and applies a usage counter.
I find this misleading because the report is locked to the css file, and if a tag is not in the css file, it is not displayed, yet there could be many instances of its use in the ebook.
This should be renamed to CSS rules to avoid the misinterpretation that it will show all elements.
See image 1

"Style Classes" lists the classes in the css file that are used in the document, which duplicates part of the "Style rules" report. Though, of greater benefit is that it will also list classes used in the ebook that are not in the css file.
This is a very useful report in tracking down some spurious code.
See image 2

What you can see in both images, is that the ebook can be infested with code, yet neither report shows any of it.

What is additionally needed is one report to show all tags in use (image 3) and another report to list inline styling - maybe a report named "Inline styles" or maybe a report showing all attributes in use. This would make it much easier to track down coding that needs attention.

What are your thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HTMLElements1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	204832   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTMLElements2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	204833   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTMLElements3.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	204834  

Last edited by Karellen; 11-20-2023 at 07:55 PM.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 09:22 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
style rules is not linked to a particular css file its for all css files and even inline <style> tags. I'm not particularly keen on reports for tags used or style attributes, there's too little use fo the former and too much variation in the latter.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2023, 09:02 PM   #3
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi @kovidgoyal

I am surprised that you think there is too little use for a tag report, as users can very quickly spot tags that need investigating. Personally, I have been caught out so many times- that tag which is used once, and makes you wonder why it is even there.

Yep, I did think the style attributes might get a bit confusing, considering all the possibilities. Maybe list only the style="" occurrances? Anything with class="" will be captured in the style classes report anyway.

Maybe a report that also lists all id="" used in the ebook?

I know many members will think, "geez, just bloody search for them". Sure, but if you don't know they are there, then you don't know what to search for, or even consider searching.

Oh well, maybe one day but thanks for the response.
Old 11-22-2023, 10:48 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
@karellen Who codes that way?
If I need a placeholder, I make it obvious. "TBD", "xxxxx" < I see this one a lot in links of some self pub books that I got from Amazon. it passes the syntax check
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 01:09 PM   #5
Karellen
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
@karellen Who codes that way?
No idea. I guess some self published authors or other editors that don't have a good grasp of epub design?
Advert