Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-20-2023, 12:02 PM   #1
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
How to fix line height change in editor window after upgrade to Calibre 7?

After upgrading Calibre, the text lines in the editor window seem crammed together, making it hard to read. My settings haven't changed, and I'm not sure where to go to fix it.

I've attached a side-by-side example.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CalibreComb.png
Views:	111
Size:	438.4 KB
ID:	204827   Click image for larger version

Name:	CalibreComb2.png
Views:	83
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	204831  

Last edited by MerlinMama; 11-20-2023 at 01:11 PM.
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 12:23 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
see that Choose font family ? I would star there
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2023, 01:10 PM   #3
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
see that Choose font family ? I would star there
Changing the fonts doesn't change the line height. If it is at all possible, that is ALL I would like to change. I mean the space between lines, which I think is the line height, but I could be wrong. The font (default) and font size are identical.

I made sure they’re the same by taking the image of 6.29, decreasing opacity and putting it on top of the image of 7. The two are identical from left to right. It is truly only the distance between one line and the next one down that has decreased in Calibre 7.

I just hope that this is something that can be adjusted in some way, because any font I choose, the lines will still be that close together.
Old 11-20-2023, 01:49 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMama View Post
Changing the fonts doesn't change the line height. If it is at all possible, that is ALL I would like to change. I mean the space between lines, which I think is the line height, but I could be wrong. The font (default) and font size are identical.

I made sure they’re the same by taking the image of 6.29, decreasing opacity and putting it on top of the image of 7. The two are identical from left to right. It is truly only the distance between one line and the next one down that has decreased in Calibre 7.

I just hope that this is something that can be adjusted in some way, because any font I choose, the lines will still be that close together.
Did you try? As I see it, there is none set and Calibre is using whatever
Who knows what metric it is using.

Just to be clear. I am not talking IN THE BOOK fonts.
Old 11-20-2023, 01:54 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try changing the font size to 15. Click OK and then do it again and set the font size back to 13.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2023, 02:31 PM   #6
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Quote:
Did you try? As I see it, there is none set and Calibre is using whatever
Who knows what metric it is using.
Yes, I tried different fonts, and different font sizes. It does not change the space between lines, which is what I'm looking for. And I really do prefer what has been offered as default, so would like to keep it, as I’ve been using that for years. If I find out what the actual font name is, I'll try that, but it doesn't change the line spacing.

Like I said, I overlaid the new and old, and from right to left, the words are identical as to font and font size. Just from one line to the next the space is smaller.

Quote:
Just to be clear. I am not talking IN THE BOOK fonts.
I think we're on the same page. I’m speaking of the editor window, not preview pane, and not what shows up on the ereader.
Old 11-20-2023, 02:31 PM   #7
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try changing the font size to 15. Click OK and then do it again and set the font size back to 13.
I tried and it didn't help, the spacing is back to being too small.
Old 11-20-2023, 02:48 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I am out of ideas. (FWIW I use Consolas)

What is your screen resolution? Might be a stupid QT issue.
Old 11-20-2023, 03:00 PM   #9
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Is there an accessible css file, similar to the Book Details settings in Look & Feel?
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 03:34 PM   #10
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Quote:
I am out of ideas. (FWIW I use Consolas)

What is your screen resolution? Might be a stupid QT issue.
I'll have a look at Consolas next time I'm actually editing. I don't have anything left to work on right now, and that is how I can really judge. I've shut it down for now.

Resolution is 1920x1080. Haven't changed it either, but could be I guess? Don't really want to adjust that if the only thing it will change is Calibre, though. I'm not savvy enough for that.

Thanks, though.
Old 11-20-2023, 03:35 PM   #11
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Is there an accessible css file, similar to the Book Details settings in Look & Feel?
I've wondered, but haven't found one for the editor.
Old 11-20-2023, 08:50 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There's no setting for this. line height is calculated by Qt for whatever font is selected it's not tuneable.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 09:07 PM   #13
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There's no setting for this. line height is calculated by Qt for whatever font is selected it's not tuneable.
Ah, I hadn't noticed that Qt changed between 6.29 and 7. I think I'll revert because my eyes hurt
Old 11-21-2023, 09:57 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMama View Post
Ah, I hadn't noticed that Qt changed between 6.29 and 7. I think I'll revert because my eyes hurt
And you won't get any more fixes and updates.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 10:09 AM   #15
MerlinMama
Evangelist

It caused eye-strain and headache after less than half an hour (I've had surgery for cataracts). Maybe after a while it won't bother as much, so I'll try again in a few months.

I just hoped we could adjust.