Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-20-2023, 07:45 AM   #1
Olders
Olders began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th Ed.
Amazon conversion adds excessive hyphenation

I posted this a while ago on a different forum but got no responses, so am hoping somebody here may be able to help me!

I am hoping somebody may be able to give me some tips or advice on overcoming this issue:

On some books (but by no means all) when I email the epub file to my kindle (or open it in Kindle Previewer) the conversion process adds a huge amount of hyphens, which makes it very difficult to read.

I have had an extensive play with re-formatting the 'problem' epubs using calibre to add/remove soft hyphens etc and they look perfect in the calibre reader. None of these changes seem to have much effect though as once converted by Amazon, they always end up with masses of hyphens. Sometimes most lines end in a hyphen!

The books use 'enhanced typsetting' are viewed at size 4 in the Bookerly font and are left justified.

I suspect I am beholden to Amazon's 'hyphenation algo' in the main but I just find it strange that some books convert with almost no hyphenation (and still look perfect), whilst others are a total mess!

Is there anything I can do by editing CSS etc in Calibre to try and minimise or improve/lessen the amount of hyphenation amazon implies during conversion?

Any help or suggestions much appreciated!
Olders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 08:00 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
amazon's hyphenation is likely driven by language so change the lang attributes in the HTML.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2023, 12:16 PM   #3
Olders
Olders began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
amazon's hyphenation is likely driven by language so change the lang attributes in the HTML.
Many thanks Kovid.

The lang attribute is set to "en" in the first section of <html> in this particular book (the title page), which is correct, but none of the other root <html> elements for each of the following chapters contain the lang attribute.

Is there an easy way in calibre to automatically add the lang attribute to the <html> element for each chapter or do I have to edit the book and use Find/Replace to add the lang attribute 'manually'?

Many thanks!
Olders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 04:32 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The conversion is not adding hyphenations. The KFX renderer is what's adding the hyphens.

You could try changing the font and see if that helps reduce the number of hyphens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 08:47 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
there's no automated lang adding
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert