Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-10-2023, 12:14 AM   #1
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Question PW 11th gen won't accept charge cable

I've got an 11th gen PW thankfully with warranty thru 12/7. I tried to plug it in to charge today and it won't accept the cable. I tried 4 different cables and none would work. It hasn't been dropped or otherwise abused. It was fine through the last charging a few weeks ago. No clue what caused this. Anyone else have any variety Kindle that quit accepting the charge cable? Any thoughts/ideas? I think I initiated a return/exchange but no confirmation yet so I may be trying again tomorrow. Thanks for any input.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 07:01 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you tried a different charger or plugged the PW5 into the computer to test?

Are these cables just for charging or are they also data cables? Some devices won't charge if you are giving it too much power. For example, if you are using a 100W charger, don't use a USB-C port. Use the USB-A port.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2023, 12:20 PM   #3
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Do the cables click and seat firmly when inserted into the PW? Is there lint or debris in the port?
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 03:33 PM   #4
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The cable is one I've used to charge the PW and my Oasis for years. It is dedicated to only that and connects to a USB socket on a power strip. I just this minute plugged my Oasis in with no problem and got the orange "I'm charging" light. I also tried two other cable I have and they wouldn't insert into the PW either.

There's something wrong with the connector port of the PW. I stood directly beneath the light and looked into it and there is some metal bar across the center. It reminds me of the spade on the iPhone charging cable. I got sidetracked this morning but am going to go back to Amazon site and pursue the return/exchange now.
Old 11-10-2023, 03:47 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I find it fascinating that you were able to use the same cable to charge a Paperwhite 11th gen and an Oasis especially with a years old cable considering the Oasis uses an USB Micro-B connector while the PW 11th gen uses an USB-C connector. Is this one of those odd cables that come with an adapter for micro-B to USB-C though I seem to remember that they are a relatively recent innovation and the few I tested were flaky on a good day when the adapter was used.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2023, 04:07 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
That's why the cable that works on Oasis won't even plug into the PW. It's needing a USB-C cable that LDB must have misplaced.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 04:34 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For what it may be worth, I've attached an image for the USB Micro-B and USB-C connectors. I just hope that @LDB has not been trying to force a USB Micro-B connector into the Paperwhite's USB-C port.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USB_Micro-B_vs_USB-C.png
Views:	33
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	204649  
Old 11-10-2023, 07:43 PM   #8
LDB
Baker Street Irregular

I just took it to the other room and plugged it in with my Scribe charger and that works. I thought I'd been using this same Oasis cable but I only charge the PW a few times a year and guess I forgot since last time.
Old 11-10-2023, 09:38 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist

I think this image is perfect for the occasion (we've all been there!):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doh!.png
Views:	21
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	204652