Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-31-2023, 03:24 PM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Is it worth getting the Oasis 3 refurb over a new paper white for the screen only?

I'm hoping those who've seen/used both can give me some input. I'm all about the screen. Is the Oasis 3 screen still better than the latest paper white in terms of clarity, contrast (actual, not spec), evenness of front light and warm light? Or has the paper white surpassed it or is so close that there's no reason to deal with the micro USB and poor battery if I don't care about buttons and the asymmetrical design

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 01:52 AM   #2
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Not a very helpful answer as I haven’t seen the PW5 in real life and can’t vouch for it, but I don’t think the Oasis’ screen was ever considered as particularly remarkable. If screen quality is the most important factor to you, you may want to consider getting a used Voyage instead, there are still some floating around. As you mentioned, the Oasis 3 is getting long in the tooth from a technology standpoint anyway.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2023, 04:05 AM   #3
hanakomisa
Neon, she/her
hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2,3,5, Fire HDX 7"
I haven't had the chance of seeing the Oasis 3 in person, but personally I quite like the screen on my PW5, it's ever just so slightly less contrasted than my PW3 but you wouldn't really notice it in most cases unless if you're nitpicking. The front light on the PW5 is also very even on my unit.
hanakomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 06:56 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
Not a very helpful answer as I haven’t seen the PW5 in real life and can’t vouch for it, but I don’t think the Oasis’ screen was ever considered as particularly remarkable. If screen quality is the most important factor to you, you may want to consider getting a used Voyage instead, there are still some floating around. As you mentioned, the Oasis 3 is getting long in the tooth from a technology standpoint anyway.
The Voyage has no warm light, though.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 07:38 AM   #5
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Voyage has no warm light, though.
Indeed, and no dark mode either, which could possibly be a deal breaker; thank you Sirtel for pointing it out!
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2023, 09:10 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I think oasis 3 screen is the same as oasis 2 which I had. The only advantage over a PW3 was larger area. The Oasis 2 screen is OK, but not any better than any other similar type. The PW4 (only) seems slightly poorer than PW3 or Oasis 2, but I've not seen later kindles. The later kindles sound OK from reading about them.

Edit:
The Voyage is only 6"? It's quite old.
Likely a PW5 is a better buy than Oasis or Voyage, but I prefer my Libra, Libra2 and Sage to my PW3 or Oasis 2 (3G /WiFi / 32G).

Last edited by Quoth; 11-02-2023 at 09:22 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 09:22 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I think oasis 3 screen is the same as oasis 2 which I had.
The contrast was better on my Oasis 3 and the frontlight was more even. The difference was not that big, but still noticeable. Of course the screen quality often varies even between devices of the same model, so I don't know if my experience was common or not.

Last edited by Sirtel; 11-02-2023 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-02-2023, 09:51 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I wouldn’t. You have no idea how good the screen on the refurb is and I feel it’s only a matter of time now before the Oasis 3 is considered a retired device. As long as you have no intention of jail breaking a kindle I think you are better off with a more up to date device.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 09:54 AM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I wouldn’t. You have no idea how good the screen on the refurb is and I feel it’s only a matter of time now before the Oasis 3 is considered a retired device. As long as you have no intention of jail breaking a kindle I think you are better off with a more up to date device.
I agree. Moreover, is there a specific reason you want to get a new Kindle? The screen of the Oasis 3 is not as good as that of the Kobo Libra 2, so if the screen quality is a high priority for you, I'd stick with the Libra.
Old 11-02-2023, 05:18 PM   #10
Flaneurette
Enthusiast
Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle oasis3/Kobo sage/nook4&4+/Kindle Scribe
I own both and the screens are equally great. I only prefer my oasis 3 because I really like buttons. If you don't care about buttons definitely go for the paperwhite!
Flaneurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 01:17 PM   #11
klieber
klieber began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have both as well and find myself using the Paperwhite significantly more. The screens are close enough, though the Oasis is noticeably better if you put them side by side. That said, the Paperwhite is perfectly suitable for reading.

The Paperwhite, however, has vastly superior battery life to the Oasis. It's not even close. I read 2-4 hours per day and get weeks out of my PW compared to days w/ the Oasis. (wifi left on all the time for both devices)

If they released a new Oasis with battery life comparable to the current PW,I might upgrade. until then, the PW is the best for the way I use them.
klieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 01:58 PM   #12
Canis_lupus
Enthusiast
Canis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmos

Device: K2, K3, Touch, K5B, Voyage, PW4, Oasis 1, 2 & 3, PW5
I own both. They are very close in terms of font darkness and evenness of lighting. I prefer the glass screen on the Oasis 3 for the peace of mind it gives me. Before using the Paperwhite 5, I always trim my nails to reduce the chance of accidentally scratching the plastic screen. I reach for my Oasis without thinking about the length of my nails and I don’t worry about accidentally scratching the screen.

As for the differences, it comes down to personal preference. I constantly choose my Oasis 3 instead of my Paperwhite 5 because I find it more comfortable to hold.
Canis_lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 10:12 PM   #13
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
There's no such thing as an Oasis three. Amazon stopped making them a long time ago. In my opinion, it's a waste of money because it's basically discontinued, you should get a scribe
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 11:02 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
There's no such thing as an Oasis three.
Of course there is. Oasis 1 was released in 2016, Oasis 2 at the end of 2017 and Oasis 3 in 2019.
Old 11-07-2023, 01:00 AM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
There's no such thing as an Oasis three.
You might want to consider doing a little fact checking before making posts like that.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote