Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 10-09-2022, 10:15 PM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Structure detection & splitting in ebook-edit?

When converting files, the "structure detection" option will split apart long files. Is there an option like this in ebook-edit aside from doing it manually?

ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:35 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You mean you want to split on file size? No there is no automated tool to do that in the editor.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 10-10-2022 at 12:08 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2022, 05:28 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Way misusing
Preferences Output Options :EPUB Output: Split files larger than...

260K is the normal (for older reader devices), but you could make it smaller...I guess
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 10:55 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
When converting files, the "structure detection" option will split apart long files. Is there an option like this in ebook-edit aside from doing it manually?

No option in ebook-edit but my personal opinion is that it is better to split on chapter boundaries than to do a random split.

My process is to use Sigil, insert split markers at the chapter boundaries using regex to locate the boundaries and then split the file at those markers, then finish off with some manual splitting if needed.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 10:59 AM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I noticed that structure detection will split at the chapter marks as long as you have the right XPath expression.
Advert
Old 10-10-2022, 11:05 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I noticed that structure detection will split at the chapter marks as long as you have the right XPath expression.
The fun is in finding that XPath expression. I often end up merging all the text files into a single file since bleepin' Gutenberg has a love for placing multiple chapters in a single file with the starting and ending chapters being split between different files.

That is, file 1 is chapters 1,2,3 and part of 4, file 2 is the rest of chapter 4, 5, 6 and part of 7, etc. A very annoying workflow.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 11:36 AM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

In my specific case, I have a book that the author decided to publish the book in a single HTML file even though the chapters are clearly marked. It causes ebook-viewer to freeze for a few seconds trying to open it and I don't even want to try it on my Kobo. I was hoping to fix it without doing an epub>epub conversion.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-10-2022 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-10-2022, 01:22 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
In my specific case, I have a book that the author decided to publish the book in a single HTML file even though the chapters are clearly marked. It causes ebook-viewer to freeze for a few seconds trying to open it and I don't even want to try it on my Kobo. I was hoping to fix it without doing an epub>epub conversion.
If it doesn't have too many chapters, you can manually split the file at the chapters/sections.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 03:21 PM   #9
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
In the editor there is a "split at multiple locations" tool. Just right-click on the big file, in the text, to see it. Again it wants an x-path expression, but here it is usually pretty simple, and there is a wizard. If you have, or can easily make, well-defined chapter boundaries (like H1, class = chapter), it's dead simple.

I often merge all the chapter files (yeah, thanks Gutenberg) and then use this.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 03:57 PM   #10
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbiker View Post
In the editor there is a "split at multiple locations" tool. Just right-click on the big file, in the text, to see it.
Where? My screenshot below does not have that as an option.

I have been using the "Split file at selected location" button in the file preview screen, and sometimes that gets a bit annoying when there are 100+ chapters.

I know I could reconvert and use the split option in the settings, but when the chapters and paragraphs use the same tags, I haven't figured out a way to differentiate the two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	splithtml.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	197083  
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 04:15 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
On the CODE of any HTML file
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 04:27 PM   #12
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Great. Thanks!! I didn't know that was there.
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 10:39 PM   #13
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I'll give that a try. Thank you.
Old 12-19-2023, 09:39 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. I have missed this simple right click for years. I simply merged the files in the editor, then split via an epub to epub conversion. This simple click is much easier.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 07:59 PM   #15
Brett Merkey
Not Quite Dead
Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4; Galaxy Tab
"Is there an option like this in ebook-edit"

Are you looking for new files based on html structure, like chapters? Right-click within the code of the large file and select "Split at multiple locations."

Last edited by Brett Merkey; 12-20-2023 at 08:08 PM.
Brett Merkey is offline   Reply With Quote