Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-10-2022, 01:02 PM   #46
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Cell phones before the iPhone had an easily replaceable battery. Cell phones after the iPhone eventually stopped having an easily replaceable battery. SO you'd buy a cell phone and it would last for a long time because you could replace the battery. Apple decided that once the battery got bad enough the phone would have to be replaced. This meant forced obsolescence. And we've been living with battery powered devices that cannot easily have the battery replaced even though there is nothing wrong other then it needs a new battery.
And yet we have evidence here, at least for ereaders, that people are using devices that are fairly old and have measurable upgrades available from a variety of vendors in a variety of options. Smart phones are similar though you will probably go through more charges in the same period of time, there are folks happily using the iPhone 4 today. So maybe the replaceable battery hysteria is just that hysteria.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 03:14 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
And yet we have evidence here, at least for ereaders, that people are using devices that are fairly old and have measurable upgrades available from a variety of vendors in a variety of options. Smart phones are similar though you will probably go through more charges in the same period of time, there are folks happily using the iPhone 4 today. So maybe the replaceable battery hysteria is just that hysteria.
It's a lot easier to find someplace to get an iPhone battery replaced then it is to get a Kindle/Kobo/Pocketbook/etc. battery replaced.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2022, 03:44 PM   #48
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's a lot easier to find someplace to get an iPhone battery replaced then it is to get a Kindle/Kobo/Pocketbook/etc. battery replaced.
It’s a lot less needed on those devices too. It’s also not terribly more difficult if you can show whoever a tear down of the device since the batteries are not generally custom.

People are using ereaders nearly a decade old with acceptable to them battery life.

Of course people complain when a device that charges to full in 2 hours only lasts them a week, so I suspect we’ll never hear the end of whining about batteries.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:13 PM   #49
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I replaced the battery in a Nook Color a couple of years ago.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:11 AM   #50
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I typically replace a kindle before its useful life is over and either donate the old one or pass on to a family member.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2022, 01:08 PM   #51
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
My first Kindle was a Kindle GDX. Amazon says I registered it July 22, 2010. Don't use it much anymore, but it still accepts a charge.

It's been ages since I've been on Mobileread, and it's nice to see so many familiar faces.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 02:45 PM   #52
Joliet Jake
Zealot
Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I'd like to know how long did your immediate preceding e-reader last while functioning passably.

Whether Kindle, Kobo, or other, it would be useful if I got an inkling about the lifespan of e-readers. That is because so far, only two devices have died on me; my Kindle Keyboard, and my Kobo Glo.

So if you give a brief info about your experiences with your reading and your devices, that would help me figure out roughly how much time my PW4 has got left.
My first device died when I abandoned it (couldn't stand the lack of buttons). The next two were old and used before I got them, and even battery replacement only gave them a year of life.

My Kobo Forma was going to be my forever device, but after four years it developed USB problems (it could charge just fine but couldn't communicate with my computer). I couldn't get to the bottom of it so I bought a USB-C using e-reader. No problems there but I've only had that one for a few months.

I know someone who uses a decade old Sony device. (I think Sony left the e-reader market entirely.) E-readers are comparatively simple vs smartphones and computers, but the screen can die, the memory can die, the buttons can die (if you use them), the USB can die and the battery can die. In my limited experience, the battery is the biggest issue.

Last edited by Joliet Jake; 06-21-2022 at 03:01 PM.
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:04 PM   #53
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I wouldn't buy a Kindle, but reading through people's issues with old readers shows the upside of wireless charging. Many devices 'fail' because the USB port gets screwed up.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:37 AM   #54
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I wouldn't buy a Kindle, but reading through people's issues with old readers shows the upside of wireless charging. Many devices 'fail' because the USB port gets screwed up.
I've never had a faulty USB port on a gadget / peripheral in 20+ years. Maybe some people are rough or some gadgets should fail QA at the factory. Wireless charging is wasteful, usually can't use it while holding the device and creates radio interference, even though it's inductive.

You still need USB to transfer the data!

I've had faulty cables. About €2 to replace. I got a nice 3m long one last week for when power socket is too far away.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:37 AM   #55
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I've never had a faulty USB port on a gadget / peripheral in 20+ years. Maybe some people are rough or some gadgets should fail QA at the factory. Wireless charging is wasteful, usually can't use it while holding the device and creates radio interference, even though it's inductive.

I've had faulty cables. About €2 to replace. I got a nice 3m long one last week for when power socket is too far away.
Some devices have been known to have a faulty usb port. The nook Color was one.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:37 AM   #56
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I've never had a faulty USB port on a gadget / peripheral in 20+ years.
Me neither, on anything actually. But then I'm fairly careful with my electronics.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:50 AM   #57
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Not everyone works in a nice clean office environment. Farm work can be dusty and dirty and open USB ports quickly fill with gunk. Even just driving in rural Australia can be hazardous to your USB ports - bulldust gets in everywhere.

In my own nice (relatively-)clean office I have cans of compressed air especially for cleaning out ports and the like, but I've not met many farmers carrying them in the toolbox (although maybe they should).

USB is not (necessarily) required for data transfer.

I'm not really a fan of wireless charging either, the inefficiencies offend me, but I can see the appeal.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:05 AM   #58
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Whether cord or port, I've definitely had devices that got a bit finicky about charging. Things had to be just so. And while I'm not one who spends a lot of time precisely inserting/removing the charging cord on all of my devices, neither am I rip-ram about it.

I like wireless charging that works (without a lot of fidgety placement issues to get things going). The inefficiencies don't trouble me. It's not like it actually contributes any meaningful waste to the rest of the inefficient technologies in play at home/work.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-22-2022 at 09:12 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:32 PM   #59
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I've never had a faulty USB port on a gadget / peripheral in 20+ years. Maybe some people are rough or some gadgets should fail QA at the factory.
Maybe not every issue is specifically about you and your habits.

Quote:
Sure. But by default using the USB port for one purpose instead of two will reduce the amount of use/abuse it gets.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:47 PM   #60
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Yes, I like the charging and data separate! A decent 3mm power jackplug! Then you can do stuff with I/O while charging.

The huge number of different connectors and revisions suggests USB is not a good design. It's actually poor on many levels.

My son has a tablet that will slow charge on USB, but has the old 5V coax plug (with a USB-A plug for PSU) for fast charging.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote