Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-25-2022, 12:19 PM   #46
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
And yet proprietors of the likes of Joe Blow's Pizza and Aunt Ruth's Craft Barn seem to be mostly exempt from such aggressive moral oversight.
Why do you think that?

1) Upset locals and the local shop go out of business.
2) In UK and EU the giant companies use offshoring and lobbying or claim innovation to avoid tax or local regulations. The local shops are MORE subject to local legal controls.
3) Local shops can be victimised by civil cases brought by international companies that can have special arrangements with a shopping mall owner.
4) Giant multinational companies have power to do deals with suppliers, force down supplier prices, extend payment terms beyond what the small local store has to pay, have their own branded product made by slave labour abroad. The local shop has hardly much more economic or trading power than a private person.
5) A Giant multinational can "phoenix" a national subsidiary (their own or another) and "buy" the stock cheap, but give only a few percent to outstanding creditors. They then make EXTRA profit on the stock and the supplier may meanwhile go bust.
6) Giant multinationals bring civil cases alleging counterfeit to prevent small local operators importing the real product direct. They win. But they import from wherever they want. Too big to be accused of "grey" imports via civil cases.
7) If a small shop is robbed they rely purely on the local police. The big multinational can use facial recognition and block suspects, never prosecuted, from all their stores. Apple proven to have done this. One person did take Apple to court and had never even been in the city where Apple alleged they were robbed.

It's not just moral issues. Many big multinationals actually break local advert rules and just get a "slapped wrist", or in reality break actual laws.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-25-2022 at 12:25 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:10 PM   #47
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I can’t speak for everyone but I suspect the ins and outs of how a business local only to you would have no affect on how others continue to not do business with them.

I’m sure on a local level there are some forums, message boards, or merely word of mouth on local business. But given in this thread we have people from I believe every hemisphere of the planet it’s unlikely that we would all have an ongoing buying relationship with any local business we all have in common.

Put simply, Amazon has more customer reach thus they have more voices calling them out.
In short... that's kind of my whole point. Amazon is targeted by many who want to judge because it's so much easier (and popular) to judge giants (not to mention there's ready-made echo-chambers people can go to to get their fix).

But I tend to respect those who put as much thought (and vocalization) into contemplating the business practices (or morality) of every single entity they do business with, rather than those who only tend to swat at the low-hanging, corporate fruit.

If you (rhetorical you) don't know you're buying pizza from a wife-beater, then why should I take your (again, rhetorical your) opinion of the dangers of doing business with Walmagooglezon seriously?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-25-2022 at 01:14 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2022, 01:48 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I’m not jumping on the cheating train, but I think a more telling statistic would be author retention rather than author acquisition. And more so author retention after those authors have tested to see the difference between exclusivity to Amazon and opting out.
Author retention could be no more then rejections from the publishers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:59 PM   #49
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
In short... that's kind of my whole point. Amazon is targeted by many who want to judge because it's so much easier (and popular) to judge giants (not to mention there's ready-made echo-chambers people can go to to get their fix).

But I tend to respect those who put as much thought (and vocalization) into contemplating the business practices (or morality) of every single entity they do business with, rather than those who only tend to swat at the low-hanging, corporate fruit.

If you (rhetorical you) don't know you're buying pizza from a wife-beater, then why should I take your (again, rhetorical your) opinion of the dangers of doing business with Walmagooglezon seriously?
Let’s bring this back to business practices rather than law violations outside of the business, simply because thus far in this thread no one has accused Amazon of doing anything illegal outside of how it affects either their business directly or indirectly. I’m not dismissing your point, just trying to keep the conversation a bit more focused.

If I find a local retailer is say paying off the delivery services to delay delivery to local competitors I would shop at their competitors. But it’s rather hard to know this because there are less hands in the pot, and while the old saying “two can keep a secret if one of them is dead” is certainly true, 20,000 keep a secret a lot shorter and a lot worse than 5. Which would mean an individual would need to put in more effort to unearth the acts of a local store vs Amazon.

I won’t disagree that local business should be held to the same standards as we hold Amazon to, but I suspect where we differ is I presume if someone is calling Amazon out here they’re calling out their local stores elsewhere. While (again I’m guessing) you take the opposite stance unless there’s some evidence that they do call out local stores.

Since we’re using a forum and I’m rather unlikely to knowingly meet anyone here, the only evidence likely to be offered is that persons word that they do such a thing. Now I’m generally a bit skeptical but at some point I have to accept things at face value.

Again this is all conjecture I may be be wrong, if I am, I’m sorry. Though I don’t think I’ve said anything wounding.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:08 PM   #50
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
If we (hubby & I) didn't do business with every retailer with whom we disagreed about some political/moral/social issues, I fear we'd have no one to do business with.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2022, 02:08 PM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I won’t disagree that local business should be held to the same standards as we hold Amazon to, but I suspect where we differ is I presume if someone is calling Amazon out here they’re calling out their local stores elsewhere. While (again I’m guessing) you take the opposite stance unless there’s some evidence that they do call out local stores.
I'm basing my stance on the fact that none of the many people I know in real life who tend to boycott Amazon for "bad business practices" give the slightest crap about vetting the practices of any of the local businesses they frequent. They don't know and they don't care. They only tend to get all "enlightened" about business practices with businesses like Amagoogle. Maybe everyone here is different, but I'd be willing to bet it's merely some.

And no... you've said nothing wounding.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-25-2022 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:16 PM   #52
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
If we (hubby & I) didn't do business with every retailer with whom we disagreed about some political/moral/social issues, I fear we'd have no one to do business with.
Yep. That's why I tend to disassociate. I'm not giving tacit approval to every bad business practice my favorite pizza shop might engage in (whether tax evasion, or unsafe work environment) by buying a large deluxe every Friday. I'm buying a pizza. Likewise, the junk I buy from Amazon. I'm shopping, not virtuous business seeking.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-25-2022 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:01 PM   #53
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
The main reason I don't use Amazon as much as other sites? Most of my book money comes from online surveys. Those deposit into PayPal, and Amazon doesn't take PayPal.

So if a book is also available on a site that does take my preferred method of payment...

With the exclusives, can't do that. So I'm more likely to look at reviews to decide whether it's something I want to read.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 05-25-2022 at 03:03 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:33 PM   #54
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
The main reason I don't use Amazon as much as other sites? Most of my book money comes from online surveys. Those deposit into PayPal, and Amazon doesn't take PayPal.

So if a book is also available on a site that does take my preferred method of payment...

With the exclusives, can't do that. So I'm more likely to look at reviews to decide whether it's something I want to read.
Or use the PayPal money to buy what you can't get at Amazon, and use your non PayPal money for books. PayPal will transfer to your bank account.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:27 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post

eBooks.com does Paypal and ePub. So it's a win-win. Plus, you can "travel" and use PayPal to pay.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:06 PM   #56
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
And yet proprietors of the likes of Joe Blow's Pizza and Aunt Ruth's Craft Barn seem to be mostly exempt from such aggressive moral oversight.
Joe Blow's Pizza and Aunt Ruth's Craft Barn aren't being subsidized by local taxpayers like Amazon and Walmart (and other huge corporations). Amazon recently built a new warehouse near where I live. It cost the local community a lot of money for the infrastructure additions necessary. Property taxes jumped. Meanwhile Amazon gets 10 years of tax subsidies and other benefits. And, if they're like other corporations, they'll move out when that 10 years is up. So, unlike Joe Blow's Pizza and Aunt Ruth's Craft Barn, I have a financial stake in what Amazon does — therefore the right to complain about their shady practices. And if Joe Blow sells cardboard pizzas or Aunt Ruth sells crappy yarn, they go out of business.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:08 PM   #57
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
eBooks.com does Paypal and ePub. So it's a win-win. Plus, you can "travel" and use PayPal to pay.
eBooks.com is where I usually go first now.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:16 PM   #58
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I go where it's cheapest. While the prices are a lot more uniform now than 5-7 years ago, there can still be some variation. If the difference is negligible, it will be a toss-up. Sometimes it's Kobo, sometimes Google, sometimes Amazon. I don't much care where I buy, as long as I can liberate my purchases.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:22 PM   #59
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Or use the PayPal money to buy what you can't get at Amazon, and use your non PayPal money for books. PayPal will transfer to your bank account.
Yah, that's what I usually do. But transferring the money through is a bit more of a hassle and takes a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's good to know. I've seen the site, but wasn't 100% sure if it was actually legit.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 05-25-2022 at 05:25 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:25 PM   #60
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I go where it's cheapest. While the prices are a lot more uniform now than 5-7 years ago, there can still be some variation. If the difference is negligible, it will be a toss-up. Sometimes it's Kobo, sometimes Google, sometimes Amazon. I don't much care where I buy, as long as I can liberate my purchases.
If something is on sale at Amazon, it's usually on sale at Kobo and sometimes on sale at eBooks.com. But sometimes eBooks.com just has a cheaper standard price. Amazon has a many reprints of old books that aren't easy to find — although they're starting to show on eBooks.com now. I no longer buy anything from Google. That's basically because I despise the corporation.