Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-23-2022, 01:32 PM   #1
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Question Why do some authors only offer their ebooks on Amazon?

This happens fairly often: Someone mentions a book that seems interesting. I search a bit, and find that the ebook is only sold on Amazon. I've only seen it with self-published books, but I've seen it both with established authors who sell most of their books in many places, established authors who sell all of their books only on Amazon, and starting authors who have just one or two books for sale.

Does anyone know why this happens?
  • Is the hassle of adding the book to more booksellers so big, and the sales outside Amazon so small, that for many authors it's just not worth it?
  • Or does Amazon offer some significant advantages if they get a monopoly on specific books?

I have a huge list of books I'd like to buy, and look at it whenever I need something new to read. But if I can't buy a book outside of Amazon, it's not going on my list. This is partly practical (the last time I got a freebie from Amazon, I wasn't able to remove the DRM and convert it to a usable format, so now I don't trust that I'll be able to do it for books I buy), and partly principled (I think Amazon's market dominance is bad for both readers and authors, and I don't want to give Bezos another cent if I can help it).
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 01:49 PM   #2
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Amazon has a program where books have to be exclusive in order to get the highest royalty rate (KDP Select?) Since Amazon has by far the largest customer base that means going exclusive makes sense for many people. The additional money they make from being exclusive more than offsets the money they lose from alienating some readers. Doesn't work for everyone or for every book but it works for enough apparently.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2022, 02:50 PM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
In addition to the above, Amazon also occasionally runs promotions for its exclusive authors. One author whose works I first saw when I switched to Kobo 4 years ago recently put out 2 new series on Amazon only and when I asked why she said that she had done it as a condition of entry in some sort of prize draw
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:04 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
A sort of bribery. Amazon does more marketing and gives better terms if you give them exclusivity. KDP Select.

Amazon's size and marketing practices results in about 92% of English language ebooks being sold via Amazon. Yet less than half our sales are via Amazon.

It stinks and we won't sign up to Amazon exclusivity. Our ebooks breakdown:
1. Smashwords
2. Amazon
3. Apple, Kobo, Barnes & Noble: All similar sales. (Dist to them by Smashwords)
4. A couple of other sellers. (Dist to them by Smashwords)

Oddly Google are rubbish. Zero Playstore/Playbooks sales. We upload direct only to Amazon, Smashwords and Google.

Smashwords has become part of Draft2Digital.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-23-2022 at 03:12 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:59 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
It's still possible to remove the DRM from Kindle books, but it requires a bit of jumping through hoops. Amazon tries to make it difficult. Nevertheless, so far I've managed to liberate every Kindle purchase I've made.

There is a detailed thread about this in the Calibre forum.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2022, 05:34 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
It's still possible to remove the DRM from Kindle books, but it requires a bit of jumping through hoops. Amazon tries to make it difficult. Nevertheless, so far I've managed to liberate every Kindle purchase I've made.

There is a detailed thread about this in the Calibre forum.
Sorry, but it does not require jumping through hoops once setup with either KindleforPC or MAC or a Kindle.

Steps to remove DRM if there is DRM (sames steps if there is no DRM).
1. Buy the eBook
2. Download the eBook with Firefox
3. Load the eBook into my Calibre library

That's it. No hoops involved. My next steps...
1. Convert to ePub using the KindleUnpack plugin.
2. Load the ePub into he Calibre editor and run epubcheck and fix any errors.
3. Once the errors are fixed, fix the formatting to my liking.

Sometimes you can find that Kindle eBooks can be not all that good. Self-published can be the worst. For example, all the chapters in one HTML file.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:51 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sorry, but it does not require jumping through hoops once setup with either KindleforPC or MAC or a Kindle.

Steps to remove DRM if there is DRM (sames steps if there is no DRM).
1. Buy the eBook
2. Download the eBook with Firefox
3. Load the eBook into my Calibre library

That's it. No hoops involved. My next steps...
1. Convert to ePub using the KindleUnpack plugin.
2. Load the ePub into he Calibre editor and run epubcheck and fix any errors.
3. Once the errors are fixed, fix the formatting to my liking.

Sometimes you can find that Kindle eBooks can be not all that good. Self-published can be the worst. For example, all the chapters in one HTML file.
You need a physical Kindle to download a book via the browser, and as to the Kindle for PC, you need an older version of that. Which you'll have to search for, locate, install and disable updates. If all this isn't jumping through hoops, I don't know what is. It used to be that you could just install the current version of the Kindle for PC and that was it. Not for a long while now.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:08 PM   #8
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You need a physical Kindle to download a book via the browser.
Does that mean you need a Kindle connected to the PC at the time of download, or you need to have a Kindle registered on your account?
Because you can select the Download option and save the file locally, then sideload at a later time.

Maybe that option is only there because I own a Kindle?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	193942  
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:11 PM   #9
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Does that mean you need a Kindle connected to the PC at the time of download, or you need to have a Kindle registered on your account?
The latter. I download via the Amazon account I setup for my Dad a few years ago when I gifted him my PW3. It's with him several hundred kilometers away
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:13 PM   #10
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
The latter.
Thanks

Obviously I could not see what the menu options are for non-kindle owners.
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:28 PM   #11
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Honestly if I can buy from somewhere other than Amazon I do it. Strictly because of how they make it difficult to strip the DRM. It’s also among the reasons I ditched Nook years ago and went with Kobo, and not looked back in regret once.

The barriers a company puts between me and deciding what to do with an ebook are barriers they put between them and my wallet.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:54 AM   #12
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Also if the book is in KU (exclusive), people who subscribe to Kindle Unlimited can borrow the book for "free" and every borrow counts as a sale when it comes to rankings (which helps with visibility, the higher a book is ranked the more Amazon's algorithm will suggest it) .

And when the customer reads the book, the author is given money per page read. (They have to read past 10% or something like that).
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:20 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Honestly if I can buy from somewhere other than Amazon I do it. Strictly because of how they make it difficult to strip the DRM. It’s also among the reasons I ditched Nook years ago and went with Kobo, and not looked back in regret once.

The barriers a company puts between me and deciding what to do with an ebook are barriers they put between them and my wallet.
You can buy from eBooks.com, Kobo, and Google. They all serve ePub that can have the DRM removed.
Old 05-24-2022, 05:22 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Also if the book is in KU (exclusive), people who subscribe to Kindle Unlimited can borrow the book for "free" and every borrow counts as a sale when it comes to rankings (which helps with visibility, the higher a book is ranked the more Amazon's algorithm will suggest it) .

And when the customer reads the book, the author is given money per page read. (They have to read past 10% or something like that).
That only works if you have a Kindle and read it on the Kindle with WiFi on. If you have a Kobo or Pocketbook, you'd have to strip the DRM, convert to ePub and read that way. The author then gets nothing from your read.

KU is a really bad implementation given it's requirements. I have a PW3 and if I was to read a KU eBook, I'd not be giving them any money per page as WiFi is off.
Old 05-24-2022, 05:26 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post

The KU cheats Authors compared to sales.

An Amazon subscription Library to cheat authors, lock in readers and build a monopoly.

Cheats readers of privacy too.

The rankings thing shows how Amazon games the system to build its monopoly.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote