Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-11-2022, 09:13 PM   #871
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Must have a hipster-beard to purchase.

Well then, it won't be luring me back to Amazon - it takes me 3 days to get a 5 o'clock shadow.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 01:13 AM   #872
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Well then, it won't be luring me back to Amazon - it takes me 3 days to get a 5 o'clock shadow.
You could use a fake beard. I guess that's what women must do too...
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2022, 05:36 AM   #873
Rugbyfan1986
Rugbyfan1986 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
For those of you complaining about fingerprints on your touch screens. I have been using the same solution since I got my first Kobo Glo in december 2012 - a stylus, it clips onto the edge of the case, does not leave a mark and is ready to use at any time.
Rugbyfan1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 05:59 AM   #874
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbyfan1986 View Post
For those of you complaining about fingerprints on your touch screens. I have been using the same solution since I got my first Kobo Glo in december 2012 - a stylus, it clips onto the edge of the case, does not leave a mark and is ready to use at any time.
The reason for the fingerprints is the capacitance touch screen. With my H2O, I didn't have fingerprints because it used IR and I was touching the eInk screen directly. The other advantage with IR is that you get the clearest possible screen as there is no touch layer in front.

While the stylus will work and you won't have fingerprints, it does mean you'll need to use two hands while reading instead of just one hand.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 02:50 PM   #875
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The reason for the fingerprints is the capacitance touch screen. With my H2O, I didn't have fingerprints because it used IR and I was touching the eInk screen directly. The other advantage with IR is that you get the clearest possible screen as there is no touch layer in front.
So you managed to use the IR touch without ever touching the screen? The oil on your fingertips doesn't really care what surface you are touching unless you are touching a screen with an oleophobic layer and even those are not perfect.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2022, 05:46 PM   #876
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
So you managed to use the IR touch without ever touching the screen? The oil on your fingertips doesn't really care what surface you are touching unless you are touching a screen with an oleophobic layer and even those are not perfect.
All I know is I didn't see fingerprints much on my H2O but I see fingerprints more on my Libra 2.
Old 04-17-2022, 11:56 AM   #877
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
The Kobo Libra 2 microsd card turns out to be glued in all around, which makes it difficult to remove or replace.
Much, much later...

I finally managed to remove the microsd card. It's a bit like pulling a tooth with a piece of string tied to the door handle...

So anyway, I used a glue stick and a strip of paper. Put glue on one side of the paper, then squiggle it into the microsd slot (as far as possible in between card and metal cover)... make sure it sticks to the microsd card (wait half hour for glue to dry), then pull slowly.

It didn't work with just a duct tape... even the paper strip method I had to use twice, as first time it only peeled off a thin layer of the water proof coating or whatever it is, instead of sticking to the card itself.

In the end it went out quite easily... not sure if any of my previous attempts helped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	libra2-microsd-paperstrip-1.jpg
Views:	1333
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	193288   Click image for larger version

Name:	libra2-microsd-paperstrip-2.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	193289   Click image for larger version

Name:	libra2-microsd-paperstrip-3.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	193290  

Last edited by frostschutz; 04-17-2022 at 12:22 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 12:20 AM   #878
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Much, much later...

I finally managed to remove the microsd card. It's a bit like pulling a tooth with a piece of string tied to the door handle...

So anyway, I used a glue stick and a strip of paper. Put glue on one side of the paper, then squiggle it into the microsd slot (as far as possible in between card and metal cover)... make sure it sticks to the microsd card (wait half hour for glue to dry), then pull slowly.

It didn't work with just a duct tape... even the paper strip method I had to use twice, as first time it only peeled off a thin layer of the water proof coating or whatever it is, instead of sticking to the card itself.

In the end it went out quite easily... not sure if any of my previous attempts helped.

did anyone try if the glue or whatever coating there is can be somehow melted with heat from a hair dryer or a heat gun?
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 09:05 PM   #879
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had an interesting thing happened to my Libra 2 last night.

I was reading a book and got so sleepy, I pressed the power button to make it sleep and i selpt as well. When i wake up this morning, the device was asleep, so I woke it up, and the battery was at 36%, down from last night's 80+%.

this is the first time that this happened to my device.

The seeting is set at SLEEP after 5 mins without activity and turn off to NEVER. FW 4.33.19611
Old 06-10-2022, 10:29 PM   #880
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post

I was reading a book and got so sleepy, I pressed the power button to make it sleep and i selpt as well. When i wake up this morning, the device was asleep, so I woke it up, and the battery was at 36%, down from last night's 80+%.

The seeting is set at SLEEP after 5 mins without activity and turn off to NEVER. FW 4.33.19611
Maybe in your sleepy state you didn't press the sleep button properly. Might be better to have a sleep cover.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 10:34 PM   #881
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post

Sounds like a process getting stuck running. It happens from time to time.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 11:41 PM   #882
Deobulakenyo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Maybe in your sleepy state you didn't press the sleep button properly. Might be better to have a sleep cover.
No. the screensaver/wallpaper appeared before i went to sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Sounds like a process getting stuck running. It happens from time to time.
This might be what happened.

Next time i will go back to homescreen before putting the device to sleep. I normally put it to sleep on an open book for faster access to it later.

Last edited by Deobulakenyo; 06-10-2022 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-11-2022, 06:29 AM   #883
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've seen a reader go to sleep but leave up the current page. You can tell because the page turns or swlpes don't work, and a 2nd quick press momentarily shows the cover and "sleeping" etc and wakes.

No idea if it happens with the sleep-cover, though I've peeked to see is sleep screen shown. I did consider buying a 2nd cheap cover and making the front into a frame with a polycarbonate window so the book cover is visible. Maybe someone makes such a cover?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 04:53 PM   #884
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I've seen a reader go to sleep but leave up the current page. You can tell because the page turns or swlpes don't work, and a 2nd quick press momentarily shows the cover and "sleeping" etc and wakes.

No idea if it happens with the sleep-cover, though I've peeked to see is sleep screen shown. I did consider buying a 2nd cheap cover and making the front into a frame with a polycarbonate window so the book cover is visible. Maybe someone makes such a cover?
I've never seen a cover with a window. If one exists, it's bound to be pretty rare.
Old 06-18-2022, 06:40 AM   #885
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
Can someone tell me how to hold this thing? Feels like the top button is too high to press while holding and the bottom button is too low to press while holding.

Anyway, got a Kindle PW5 to compare. Found that both the Libra 2 and PW5 have the same amount of RAM (I saw some people earlier here wishing the Libra 2 would have 1GB like the PW5 for manga, but seems like they both have 512).

The PW5 has better battery life. Like a lot better. And that sweet page-turn animation, which is available for it even in KOReader. (It's got like a dedicated hardware module just to enable this animation, which is pretty sweet.) Other than that, the Libra 2 is better in every way... which is sad because I want the amazing battery life of the Kindle. And a stable kernel. Hard to decide
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote