Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-05-2023, 07:08 AM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Also many local shops in this small city of 90k have cables plus adaptors that let you copy phone/tablet files to a USB HDD (may need own power splitter) or to a Kobo, or to a Kindle (not Scribe).

It's nothing to do with the Kindle and nothing special from a dodgy online seller is needed.

The OTG feature needed is NOT on the Kindle*. The Kindle (or Kobo) is working just the same as on a Mac, Windows, Linux box. It's a "host" feature on most Android phones and tablets since about 2011 (12 years ago) that simply needs a less than €/$/£ passive adaptor from Micro/Mini/USB-C to USB-A for a regular cable. Though "direct" cables exist, they are dearer and a less good idea as it might not be well marked which is the "host" end. The adaptor on the phone / tablet will let you connect many USB devices (and anything using USB Mass Storage) including a hub, mouse, USB memory stick, USB Keyboard and maybe even a USB CD/DVD drive, USB to Serial adaptor, USB Audio, USB TV stick. Since Android 4.0 and up. Additional apps may be needed. The iOS even supports 6 channel USB Zoom H6 as a mixing desk.

Later Android versions may need a USB setting changed for OTG to work. My Oppo phone needed that, then the €2 USB-C to USB-A OTG adaptor worked with regular USB-A devices and cables to gadgets.

[* Some Kindles, such as PW3, do have an OTG mode, but it's for only USB Audio. A cheap generic USB audio stick will work with the micoUSB to USB-A OTG adaptor]

Last edited by Quoth; 11-05-2023 at 07:58 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 09:07 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kos25k View Post
Ohh! 🤣Not even close..I just make a collection from pdf and doc files that regard survival guides in general.Yeah,we live in weird times of history!!But even if someone did this,its clearly his own issue what to do with these files. Otherwise amazon just wouldn't this otg feature on her e-readers or these otg cables wouldn't be legal etc..
Sorry but it is not "his own issue". The authors of many of the survival guides I've seen are selling their work to make money. Copying that work without paying the author is theft. That a device can be used to violate copyright does not make it legal. USB OTG has many legitimate uses other than copyright violation. By your logic, since a gun can used to shoot and kill a person, that makes it legal to do so. Truly the kind of logic that makes you go WTF!

To quote your message:

Quote:
Thanks.I am only just interested on inserting other people's microSD's or their phones directly to copy files.(i use koreader) So is this possible?
Unless you can demonstrate that all the files you are copying are public domain either by being released to the PD or meeting "Life+70" or have a disclaimer allowing copying, what you are advocating is plain and simple piracy. MobileRead does not support or condone piracy.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 05:51 AM   #18
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Ohh! ��Not even close..I just make a collection from pdf and doc files that regard survival guides in general.Yeah,we live in weird times of history!!But even if someone did this,its clearly his own issue what to do with these files. Otherwise amazon just wouldn't this otg feature on her e-readers or these otg cables wouldn't be legal etc..
What a weird reasoning... There are legitimate uses of scalpels (not to name firearms which is a controversial topic). That does not mean that you are allowed to use them to stab people, or to talk about it in a forum, just to make an example... and vice-versa, the fact that a scalpel can be used to stab people does not make it illegal tout-court.

It's not "his own issue" what to do with pirated content. Responsible forum like MR do not support criminal acts (as sharing copyrighted content, by law is) and that's the reason why such kind of discussions are not allowed.

Finally, regarding "Amazon wouldn't [missing word... was it "implement"?] this on its e-readers or these otg cables wouldn't be legal": first, there are a lot of legit uses for otg cables, not all data transfer is illegal (or any data cable would be banned), secondarily: Amazon didn't do anything on its Kindles.

As many have already explained, OTG has nothing to do with the Kindle. OTG is on the phone. Kindle don't even notice, it "thinks" it is connected to a computer, and like it happens for a computer, it simply exports its public filesystem, that's it.
Why it does so? For users to be able to sideload content that they have previously legitimately downloaded from their store, that's it; Amazon allows this because (historically) not everybody and everywhere had easy access to a wireless connection to transfer directly (first Kindle models didn't even have wifi).

(By the way, rumours are that now that wifi is much much more generally available Amazon is going to remove the option to sideload content... only rumours for now)
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 06:40 AM   #19
kos25k
Connoisseur
kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Amazon Kindle basic
Guys i really don't understand why this issue is being exaggerated with this cruel way!.If something was illegal, is the thread itself and not me!Noone also talked about privacy or sharing illegal content.And this is my own issue and i just stop it here.The only think i initially said,was that i posted the link with the working cable just to help other dudes here..Have a nice gentlemen.
kos25k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 06:50 AM   #20
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Guys i really don't understand why this issue is being exaggerated with this cruel way!.If something was illegal, is the thread itself and not me!Noone also talked about privacy or sharing illegal content.And this is my own issue and i just stop it here.The only think i initially said,was that i posted the link with the working cable just to help other dudes here..Have a nice gentlemen.
Oh no, me personally I'm not at all being cruel, sorry for the misunderstanding.
I'm just talking "for fun". My original intention was actually to reinforce a concept you seemed to have missed, and that is that "Kindle has no OTG", and does not need to, if you want to put files on it from a phone. In that case, it's the phone that has to have (or better: support) OTG.

To put it on another way: when you connect a Kindle to the pc you see it as an external drive, right? Like a USB pen, for example.
When you connect it to a phone, it is exactly the same, so Kindle "does not do anything more"... It's the phone that needs to support OTG in order to be able to see the Kindle (or any other usb storage) when it is plugged into its charging port.

The other discussion is just commenting your words, and maybe they have been misunderstood (yet, there is this weird thing about your message being deleted), but it was just casual discussion, nothing more
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 06:57 AM   #21
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Hey,who deleted my comment about the working cable and what is the reason of this?
Are you sure it was deleted. Usually, at least a green post is included saying "don't do that (for whatever guideline wasn't followed)".
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 07:57 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You can use a browser on a phone or tablet and download an ebook, either bought from Amazon or PD, like from Gutenberg.org

Then you can use the phone's OTG (has to be enabled on some USB-C models) with an dumb adaptor or dumb cable to transfer to a Kindle, just the same as if it was on a PC/Mac etc, assuming the phone/tablet has a file browser.

There is no secret, mystery or difficulty.

Copying copyright content that someone else bought is copyright infringement (civil or criminal depending on country) and is nothing whatsoever to do with OTG or cables etc.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote