Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-30-2022, 11:01 AM   #61
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I added an extra "Date" column to Calibre. When I finish a book, just click on the box and it enters today's date. I prefer using the date because I sometimes like to re-read certain books, and it tells me how long ago I've read it.

The date column also lets you sort by that header, and you can easily see how many books you've read, or read within a certain period, any period.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 02:44 AM   #62
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Almost all books get an entry at Goodreads, including a relatively recent DNF shelf. I always say something besides a star rating, which is for me as much as others. Length ranges from a couple of sentences to a few paragraphs.
I also use Goodreads to track books I've completed and those I did not finish. I also note in Goodreads the physical books that I own, books I did not/will not read but whose screen adaptation I watched instead, books I've reread or intend to reread, comments about some books that are for my eyes only, and occasional reviews or star ratings.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 05:34 AM   #63
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Goodreads & IMDB are owned by Amazon. It's also public and monetised.

I can track my activity, if I want, in Calibre. Secure, private, doesn't need Internet, can be exported and also backed up.

There are countries where it is dangerous to publicise what you read.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 05:30 PM   #64
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I track on Goodreads and participate in a couple of social things on there. My sister has kept a journal since she was in 2nd grade and she is now in her late 50s. Lots of books filled with titles and authors and date read. She did not count a lot of text books because rarely did she read the whole thing.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:59 AM   #65
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by grogu View Post
I'm realizing that I don't remember things like I used to and am considering keeping a reading journal. Not really sure how to go about it or how to integrate it with an e-ink device. These days when people ask me what I thought about a book, I go ummm, it was ... good? I used to be able to recall specific things and actually talk about it.

Do you have a reading journal or log of some sort? What sort of things do you keep in it? Do you do digital or paper or both? Do you find it fun or a bit of a chore?
I do have a note file where I keep track of the books I've read and my "to be read" pile. I don't jot down notes or thoughts
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 04:55 AM   #66
untilyouarrived
Enthusiast
untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Remarkable 2, HiSense Hi Reader
I’ve kept a log since 2012. Just title, author, date read and a rating so that I can remember if I liked it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
untilyouarrived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 08:55 AM   #67
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I do not keep track of what I have read. I read something and if it was a good read, I might read it again later. I have never felt the need to keep track of what I read. It's just more paperwork and being self-employed I have enough paperwork to deal with.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 08:55 AM   #68
Kattermole
Kattermole began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
BookBuddy

I’ll admit it, I’m a bookworm and a book hog, so I find it hard to keep track of what I have and haven’t read and most important, WHERE DID I PUT IT?
After a lot of looking and trying things that almost worked, I found an app called BookBub which seems to do everything I need. Notes, stars, dates, location, (Calibre, shelves in sunroom), format (including hard copy), useful sorting options, ability to extract different lists. I can even write why I DNFd a title.

It’s flexible, it’s private and I’m not letting Amazon get hold of any information about me. I love it.

Kat
Kattermole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:49 AM   #69
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
No. I only check with calibre to avoid to buy the same book twice
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:13 PM   #70
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I do not keep track of what I have read. I read something and if it was a good read, I might read it again later. I have never felt the need to keep track of what I read. It's just more paperwork and being self-employed I have enough paperwork to deal with.
Apache
I do not but the Gods know, I should. I'm at that point where I won't remember, for example, the last Harry Dresden I bought (that's a bad example, because with that series, I do remember, having become so infuriated with the author deciding to take 5 years off from it...), or the like. With longer series, especially super-lightweight popcorn series (for example, that...that faux psychic or medium in the 20's that solves crimes thing? I can't remember the name, it's SUPER-popcorny/cozy mystery-ish?)...I would never remember until I buy and download the thing. Thank heavens for Amazon's return policy.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:43 PM   #71
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I do not but the Gods know, I should. I'm at that point where I won't remember, for example, the last Harry Dresden I bought (that's a bad example, because with that series, I do remember, having become so infuriated with the author deciding to take 5 years off from it...), or the like. With longer series, especially super-lightweight popcorn series (for example, that...that faux psychic or medium in the 20's that solves crimes thing? I can't remember the name, it's SUPER-popcorny/cozy mystery-ish?)...I would never remember until I buy and download the thing. Thank heavens for Amazon's return policy.

Hitch
I'm sure I would have bought dozens of books twice or even thrice if not for Calibre. Particularly as I have so many yet-unread books in my library. Fortunately it takes only a few seconds to check whether I already have the book.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 12:40 AM   #72
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I'm sure I would have bought dozens of books twice or even thrice if not for Calibre. Particularly as I have so many yet-unread books in my library. Fortunately it takes only a few seconds to check whether I already have the book.
I'm sure that's true. It's the entering of them the first time, to get caught up, that I find exceedingly off-putting.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote