Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-12-2015, 09:14 AM   #1
Camelot
Connoisseur
Camelot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Non-breaking space (doubled) bug

When i editing text in Book View and switch in Code View, all Non-breaking space are doubled.
I think this bug is since 0.8.3

Example:
Original
Code:
<p>Text1&nbsp;Text2&nbsp;Text3</p>
after editing any Text in Book View an switch in Code View
Code:
<p>Text1&nbsp;&nbsp;Text2&nbsp;&nbsp;Text3</p>
i attached epub with example.

Sigil 0.8.4 (from DiapDealer)

Edit: here a video https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByD...ew?usp=sharing
Attached Files
File Type: epub Non-breaking space bug.epub (2.3 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by Camelot; 02-13-2015 at 10:34 AM. Reason: edit video
Camelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:08 AM   #2
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
An earlier iteration of Sigil inserted a nbsp whenever you were in Page View and hit the space bar. Perhaps it's a feature (bug?) that has now returned.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2015, 10:09 AM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Well that's not good. Did you say this bug was introduced in 0.8.3 and did not exist in 0.8.2 or 0.8.1? Knowing that will help track it down.

Thanks,

Kevin
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:19 AM   #4
Camelot
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Well that's not good. Did you say this bug was introduced in 0.8.3 and did not exist in 0.8.2 or 0.8.1? Knowing that will help track it down.
in version 0.8.2 I didn't noticed, only from 0.8.3.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:21 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I tested this issue with the current 32/64bit 0.8.4 Windows and Linux builds and was only able to reproduce it with the 32/64bit Linux builds.

As a workaround, Linux users can do the following:

1. Select Edit > Preferences > Preserve Entities and add &#xa0;.
2. Replace all occurrences of &nbsp; with &#xa0;.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I tested this issue with the current 32/64bit 0.8.4 Windows and Linux builds and was only able to reproduce it with the 32/64bit Linux builds.
Well that stinks.
Out of curiosity, are both of you Linux users using my unofficial binary builds? Or have you built Sigil on your systems from source? I'd like to think it shouldn't make a difference, but you never can tell.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #7
Camelot
Connoisseur

Quote:
As a workaround, Linux users can do the following:

1. Select Edit > Preferences > Preserve Entities and add &#xa0;.
2. Replace all occurrences of &nbsp; with &#xa0;.
result:
Code:
<p>&#xa0;&#xa0;</p>
Old 02-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #8
Camelot
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Well that stinks.
Out of curiosity, are both of you Linux users using my unofficial binary builds? Or have you built Sigil on your systems from source? I'd like to think it shouldn't make a difference, but you never can tell.
My unofficial Sigil version is from the greatest member DiapDealer
Old 02-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
My unofficial Sigil version is from the greatest member DiapDealer
Well after such praise; lets hope this isn't my fault!

This doesn't sound like something that a specific gcc version or a Linux build process change would affect, but I'll try to eliminate that possibility a bit later on this day.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #10
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
result:
Code:
<p>&#xa0;&#xa0;</p>
On my Linux machines &#xa0; is not repeated.

Quote:
Well that stinks.
I tested your unofficial Linux and Windows legacy builds and only the 32/64 bit Linux builds had this problem.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I tested your unofficial Linux and Windows legacy builds and only the 32/64 bit Linux builds had this problem.
Maybe not this exact problem, but I'm seeing some flakiness with regard to &nbsp; and editing in Book view with the official Windows release, too.

Add the following in Code View:
Code:
<p>Hey&nbsp;</p>
Then switch to Book View and put the cursor after the space and type another word (such as "there"):
Code:
Hey there
When I switch back to Code View, the &nbsp; entity has been changed to a normal space.
Code:
<p>Hey there</p>
Doesn't seem to make a difference whether or not &nbsp; is listed in the entities to preserve preferences.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #12
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Maybe not this exact problem, but I'm seeing some flakiness with regard to &nbsp; and editing in Book view with the official Windows release, too.
I was able to reproduce your test case with the official 64bit 0.8.4 Windows build (and your Linux build).

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Sigil will automatically replace non-braking spaces in clipboard text with regular spaces. (At least, I was never able to copy and paste text that contained non-breaking spaces via the Windows clipboard.)

@KevinH: Were you able to reproduce the OP's issue and DiapDealer's test case on your OSX machine?
Old 02-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #13
Camelot
Connoisseur

I can reproduce with unoffizial sigil 64-bit versions 0.8.2 and 0.7.4 from DiapDealer.

Edit:
No bug with 0.6.2 self compiled version.

It's a QT 5 bug?

Last edited by Camelot; 02-12-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:03 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I was able to reproduce your test case with the official 64bit 0.8.4 Windows build (and your Linux build).
Yep. Linux and Windows; I'm getting the same behavior (the disappearing &nbsp; when adding characters immediately following the space in Book View).

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to reproduce the &nbsp; (or the &#xa0;) doubling issue on my Linux box (using the same binary build as doitsu and Camelot are).

No matter what is in my Preserve Entities list, the named & hex non-breaking entities do not get doubled. They only get converted to normal spaces under the aforementioned situation (adding characters immediately following the space represented by the entity in Book View).
Old 02-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #15
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No matter what is in my Preserve Entities list, the named & hex non-breaking entities do not get doubled. They only get converted to normal spaces under the aforementioned situation (adding characters immediately following the space represented by the entity in Book View).
Maybe its a Linux-specific issue. I'm using a Debian "Wheezy" based Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64 distro with OpenBox as the window manager. "Wheezy" is stable, but doesn't come with latest system libraries that most Ubuntu based distros come with.
IIRC, you're using an Ubuntu-based distro, which might have more recent system libraries.