Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #46
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigredo View Post
Well, I tried... In the 5.4.4.2 source tree I found a boardid.h, clearly lacking the last models Ids, but this could be managed. Soon after faking the missing ids more errors appeared due to missing files.

Now I'm thinking in buy a PW3, now in offer, to continue with experiments, and leave the voyage for reading.

knc1, did you complete the mod with internal USB rs232 adapter ? Is there room for the fdti micro board ? If so I'll try too, maybe with the help of a friend of mine that do have proper tools and better sight.
I have not finished (yet) - "life" sucked up all of my time.

The board looks like it will fit in the PW-3 (but not the KT-2).
The PW-3 has some framing across the top that is not part of the screen support (I think I can cut away enough to make the board fit).

This is the very top item on my to-do list - -
Maybe tomorrow . . . .
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:38 AM   #47
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PW-3, fw-5.6.1.1, Diags Kernel and File system

Finally - I have the time to get copies of the (still) missing files needed to finish restoring MadMAXXX's Kindle.

My 'troubles' with the jim.ftx adapter - really, really stupid :
The 1.8 volt reference on the MB I was using was only "on" when the Kindle was running (I think it is power to the screen lights) -
The adapter **requires** that the interface reference must be applied before or at the same time as the board power.

Phooey!
All I had to do to fix my serial port interface problem was turn on the Kindle before plugging in the USB cord (which powers the adapter).

= = = = =

I need some time to QA the file copies I made, but will post them somewhere people who need them can get them later today.

Note:
The Diags Filesystem copy I made does not require a password for the user named: 'root'.
I removed the requirement for a password, so at the login: prompt, just enter: root, press enter, your in.
Advert
Old 01-08-2016, 12:33 PM   #48
nigredo
nigredo began at the beginning.

Device: k4nt, voyage
Hi knc1,

I picked some photos on the net about the PW3 and really it seems that the microFTX will fit inside.

My only doubt is how much easy will be to cut the metal frame. The voyage's frame should be made of magnesium, the PW3 too ?
nigredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:33 PM   #49
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Hi knc1,

I picked some photos on the net about the PW3 and really it seems that the microFTX will fit inside.

My only doubt is how much easy will be to cut the metal frame. The voyage's frame should be made of magnesium, the PW3 too ?
The size difference of the board and the spaces between the ribs is so close that you would not be able to see it in photos.

But the board **is** a bit wider than the space.
You will have to cut down one of the webs.

I'll take pictures of mine as I do it, and post them if I can make it work out.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:23 AM   #50
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
- - - -
I need some time to QA the file copies I made, but will post them somewhere people who need them can get them later today.

Note:
The Diags Filesystem copy I made does not require a password for the user named: 'root'.
I removed the requirement for a password, so at the login: prompt, just enter: root, press enter, your in.
Now tested by MadMAXXX using fastboot to flash both files (kernel and filesystem), who reports: "working fine".
Note:
The Geekmaster "getkernels-1.4" script is copying too much data, but the excess is the same value as erased data (which is probably why he didn't notice it).
The kernels extracted by "getkernels-1.4" will not verify with mkimage due to the excess.

Copy made available to NiLuJe so that the various snapshots of things can be updated as supporting PW-3 (some don't, not yet).
Although JB, KUAL, MrPI, KUAL+ and USBnetworking did not complain about being installed on my PW-3.

= = = =

I'll finish out my thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=262358

With the additional details and photos of an internally mounted adapter board (if I can do it) (and if I can get my camera working - it quit for the Holidays).

Last edited by knc1; 01-09-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Advert
Old 01-10-2016, 06:47 AM   #51
nigredo

Good news,

I insisted and got u-boot compiled, the size is ~ 85k.

So far I discovered the boards id for :

Code:
BOARD_ID_ICEWINE_WARIO_512     - KV wifi Europe  Serial B01309xx id 0480
BOARD_ID_ICEWINE_WFO_WARIO_512 - KV wifi + 3G US Serial B05409xx id 0470

Missing:

BOARD_ID_ICEWINE
BOARD_ID_ICEWINE_WFO
BOARD_ID_WARIO_4_256M_CFG_C   
BOARD_ID_WARIO_4_512M_CFG_B   
BOARD_ID_WARIO_4_1G_CFG_A     
BOARD_ID_ICEWINE_WARIO        
BOARD_ID_ICEWINE_WFO_WARIO    
BOARD_ID_ICEWINE_WFO_WARIO_EVT1_2 
BOARD_ID_ICEWINE_WARIO_EVT1_2 
BOARD_ID_BOURBON                    
BOARD_ID_BOURBON_PREEVT2            
BOARD_ID_BOURBON_WFO                
BOARD_ID_BOURBON_WFO_PREEVT2        
BOARD_ID_BOURBON_WFO_EVT1           
BOARD_ID_MUSCAT_WAN                 
BOARD_ID_MUSCAT_WFO
Now I'll see what I can do with it.

Last edited by nigredo; 01-10-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:46 AM   #52
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Code:
BOARD_ID_MUSCAT_WAN                 
BOARD_ID_MUSCAT_WFO
The PW-3 is a "MUSCAT" board, I expect the other newest models are also.

(On your 'home' screen of Voyage, enter: ;dm in the search bar. New text documents with log files will appear. The ';' is part of the command.)
Old 01-10-2016, 08:16 AM   #53
nigredo

Yup, I got these ids in the all_system_logs...

Code:
151219:230602 [    0.000000] Machine: Freescale i.MX 6SoloLite based Wario Board

151219:230602 [    0.000000] Memory: 512MB = 512MB total

151219:230602 [    0.076001] LAB126 Board id - 048090115182005S

151220:152717 system: I loginfo:devhw:boardID=0480:icewine device - rev 9
151220:152717 system: I loginfo:devsworig::Original System Software Version: 038-juno_605_icewine_wario-273030 Fri Jul 31 15:36:28 PDT 2015 com.lab126.eink.icewine.os
151220:152717 system: I loginfo:devswota::OTA  Kindle 5.6.5 (~~otaVersion~~)

Last edited by nigredo; 01-10-2016 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #54
knc1
Going Viral

So the Voyage is codename: icewine_wario

My KT2 isn't running now, but perhaps someone can do the colon-dump-messages command for us.

I can check a PW-1 and a K5 later today. (Those are i.MX5).

Ah, looking at the u-boot image/mkimage code, I see that it does have an image type for i.mxboot (at least in the repo. version of the code).
http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=b...f7664e;hb=HEAD

The 5.6.x kernels are based on (3.0.35):
http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cg...x-2.6-imx.git/
Ignore the 2.6 in the name, that is also the 3.0 repo.

I am not sure if lab126 is basing on:
http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cg...uboot-imx.git/
but most likely they are.
or not.

You might want to make (and keep current) local clones of those, in case the freescale repos disappear with the take-over by NXP.

Last edited by knc1; 01-10-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:42 PM   #55
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Hi knc1,

It is a soft, light metal alloy for certain.

It is going to be a very close fit:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=14

Last edited by knc1; 01-10-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #56
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I *think* the boardids are listed somewhere on the rootfs, but I forgot a key part in the kernel config of my new box to investigate further...

EDIT: Meeh. Maybe not.

Code:
zgrep LOOP /proc/config.gz
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP is not set
Ooops.

For a mostly-accurate chronological listing of board codenames, see KindleTool.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-10-2016 at 01:58 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #57
nigredo

Quote:
knc1

It is a soft, light metal alloy for certain.
My friend cannot do this work for me, but I've contacted a laboratory.
Eventually I'll find somebody.

Quote:
NiLuJe
I *think* the boardids are listed somewhere on the rootfs,

For a mostly-accurate chronological listing of board codenames, see KindleTool.
Thanks... it is /etc/upstart/functions. Not the whole codes but should do.

There are 3 boards: imx50_yoshime, imx50_yoshi and imx60_wario,
each one with variant bist and mfgtools.

It seems we can cover the models from k4nt onward.

Last edited by nigredo; 01-10-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:45 AM   #58
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
My friend cannot do this work for me, but I've contacted a laboratory.
Eventually I'll find somebody.

Thanks... it is /etc/upstart/functions. Not the whole codes but should do.

There are 3 boards: imx50_yoshime, imx50_yoshi and imx60_wario,
each one with variant bist and mfgtools.

It seems we can cover the models from k4nt onward.
A set of tool files and careful work could do the same.
But those pictures show how close the fit is - the card is 1/2 of a web thickness shorter than the space from the battery to the edge of the frame.

The 'main' and 'diags' kernels are different.
I think that the 'main u-boot' and the 'diags u-boot' are different also.
I can't guess why there are Wifi and Wifi+3G configurations (there are) because Amazon only ships Wifi+3G (and lets it fail at finding the 3G module).
Plus, there might be a third kernel configuration for the initramfs kernel (where the 'recovery menu' lives).

Note that the K4 is 'different' (it was a transition model for firmware layouts) - for instance, 'diags' runs X11 but 'main' does not.

Last edited by knc1; 01-11-2016 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:07 PM   #59
nigredo

Hi,

I was busy in the last days, but I had the time for buy some tools, a desk lamp with lens, awg30 wires and tin alloy of 0.3 mm.

In the week end I hope to give a try and, if satisfied, will order the PW3.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:09 AM   #60
dmilanov
dmilanov began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3
Can you please share the PW3 diags image somehow (e-mail/url/etc.). I have a device that was giving battery errors and thinking it's a PW2 and not PW3 flashed PW2's diags. Now both the diags and the main partitions won't boot. And I can't find PW3 diags partition anywhere.

Last edited by dmilanov; 05-13-2016 at 04:30 AM.
dmilanov is offline   Reply With Quote