Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-11-2015, 08:21 PM   #241
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
[...] My voting choice is limited to 3 books (currently) read for the 1901-1910 period - Grahame, Montgomery, and Richardson. So that means that my choice for 'best' will only considered as a children's or young adult book. (I've posted before that I'd read only two books, I miscounted )

That doesn't concern me because I chose my book based on what 'best talked to me about my country, my people and their thoughts and attitudes', and can now, in the final vote, choose to retain my original premise, or consider another premise for this (and ensuing) decade/s. (gmw, you'd be aware that as a nation we don't seem to discuss and seriously consider our own authors works as frequently as we do other authors works, so for this vote I changed the balance. And I guess that some may consider that as a xenophobic attitude - nope!)

For those prospective voters who have read a lot of the list, say half and above, well they seem, to me, to be in a position to identify 'best' according to a more stringent criteria. And I don't necessarily envy that!!
One of the problems I have with the the early decades is lack of recent experience. For example, in the 1901..1910 selection I think I may have read six or seven of the nominations, but most were a very long time ago and so now I'm not completely certain if I actually read them or just read about them. There are a few nominations that came up where it was a matter of "oh, that's right, I remember that one!".

Yes, I did pay particular attention to your list. You had me feeling guilty for not considering a few of them - that memory problem again. I ended up making my nominations mostly from books I've read in the last decade or so, because that's how long I've been keeping a reasonable record of what I have been reading.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:37 AM   #242
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Voting for 1921-1930 is now open.

I don't have time this weekend to get the voting thread for 1931-1940 ready. Next week!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:19 AM   #243
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The 1931-1940 voting thread is up! Voting will open in a week. Nominators, please post in the thread about why people should read/vote for your nomination.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote