Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-17-2018, 12:18 AM   #1
FITR
FITR began at the beginning.

Device: Andriod Tablet
epub link to excel

Hi

I am a noob at eBook writing. I am trying to write an eBook about excel tricks and tips.

I have managed thing like videos and images etc, but the issue that I am struggling with how can I get a a link to open an excel file with examples to work on.
  • Is it possible in Sigil?
  • Is there a different tool to use?
    How can I do it in Sigil?

Many thanks
FITR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:45 AM   #2
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by FITR View Post
I have managed thing like videos and images etc, but the issue that I am struggling with how can I get a a link to open an excel file with examples to work on.
Your best bet would have to link to an external source, like an Excel spreadsheet hosted on your website:

Code:
Download <a href="www.example.com/spreadsheet1.1.xslx">Spreadsheet 1.1</a> and try the samples.
Then someone using a computer could click the link, download the spreadsheet, and work from there.

Note: While there are ways to insert "Miscellaneous" files (DOCX, XSLX, [...]) into an EPUB, I have no idea how stores/validators would treat such an EPUB.

I know iBooks has support for embedding a PDF into an EPUB (see PDFs heading):

https://help.apple.com/itc/booksasse...oj/static.html

How reliable this would be on all the other EPUB readers... And I doubt it would handle any non-PDF formats.

Note #2: Back in 2011, there was some discussion of embedding PDFs into an EPUB.

And phyllisj9 linked to the actual section of the EPUB2 specs dealing with this:

http://www.idpf.org/epub/20/spec/OPF...Section2.3.1.1

Again, any actual readers out there or stores that support this for spreadsheets... I doubt it.

Note #3: What you are more likely looking for is attaching documents to a PDF:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1121417

PDF is more of the "make it possible to do everything under the kitchen sink and be a security nightmare" format. And even there, many spam filters might try to protect from malicious PDFs with embedded attachments in them.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 08-17-2018 at 03:29 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2018, 07:00 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
How reliable this would be on all the other EPUB readers... And I doubt it would handle any non-PDF formats.
Some ADE versions also support embedded .pdf files. For more information and an epub2 test file, see my 2015 post. (Since my test file contains a fallback declaration, it'll pass epubcheck.)

Theoretically, it'd possible to embed Excel files, too. However, since there are no epub readers with built-in Excel support, it'd be rather pointless.

As Tex2002ans has already suggested, the best method would be to add download links.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:49 AM   #4
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Some ADE versions also support embedded .pdf files. For more information and an epub2 test file, see my 2015 post. (Since my test file contains a fallback declaration, it'll pass epubcheck.)
Thanks, can't say I ever ran across one in the wild (and didn't recall that topic when it was posted).

Just tested your example in ADE 4.5. The internal PDF doesn't even scale to screen size. Yuck, talk about atrocious usability.

Readium 2.30.0, after clicking on the link, just got stuck in an infinite loop. Couldn't even make the pages go back/forward. Had to use the TOC to jump back to the initial page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
As Tex2002ans has already suggested, the best method would be to add download links.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 08-17-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Thanks, can't say I ever ran across one in the wild (and didn't recall that topic when it was posted).

Just tested your example in ADE 4.5. The internal PDF doesn't even scale to screen size. Yuck, talk about atrocious usability.

Readium 2.30.0, after clicking on the link, just got stuck in an infinite loop. Couldn't even make the pages go back/forward. Had to use the TOC to jump back to the initial page.

I can absolutely, positively state that nothing we have EVER tried, to embed Excel, Word, etc., (other than PDFs for iBooks, ONLY) has ever worked, period. Not on Nooks, Kobos, iBooks (other than pdf), etc. And certainly NOT in a MOBI.

Not to mention...I mean, if you think about it, as silly as it sounds, the computing power required to run an Excel sheet, with all the various options, is FAR greater than that which is required to run an eReader. That's just the reality. If you've ever power-used Excel, it can do some pretty remarkable things. (After all...spreadsheets are pretty much responsible for the explosion in home computing, as we called it then, in the early 80's, so it's not surprising...)

So, as Tex suggested...embed links, BUT...you should put in a comment or advisory that they'll need to open the file on a desktop reader, because otherwise, you'll end up with someone with a downloaded file on a device that can't run it, or worse, you'll have Jane Doe with her no-browser eReader hopelessly clicking a link that cannot go anyplace, because--no browser. I realize that nobody ever thinks about this (it's a conversation I have daily), but half of all devices out there still don't have built-in browsers, so what good will a simple link do? You need to tell them--"here's a link, open the file on your desktop or a device that has a browser so that you can download it easily."

Given how many times each day I have to have this discussion, I'm painfully aware that the word "links" just pops out of everyone's mind and mouth--but the reality is, not everyone reads on a device that can make use of them. I once read a friend's book on my K2 Kindle...and quickly realized that his myriad "how to" documents parked at links were inaccessible to me. Worse, they were all embedded links, so I couldn't even replicate them at a browser. I had to load the thing to a desktop reader and start clicking. The lesson stuck with me, and I remind clients of it daily.

TL/DR: make your links visible, preferably shortlinks, so that people can easily type them into a browser window, thereby obtaining your Excel files on a device where they can actually be used.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2018, 10:33 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
If you've ever power-used Excel, it can do some pretty remarkable things. (After all...spreadsheets are pretty much responsible for the explosion in home computing, as we called it then, in the early 80's, so it's not surprising...)
The only "power-using" of Excel (or any spreadsheet software) I've ever done was to massage the data from people's personal, pet-monstrosities into something that could be imported into a database where it belonged all along.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:49 AM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The only "power-using" of Excel (or any spreadsheet software) I've ever done was to massage the data from people's personal, pet-monstrosities into something that could be imported into a database where it belonged all along.
Now, now, Diap, don't be cranky. ;-)

Not everything in a spreadsheet belongs in a db, you know that. Hell, for the typical spreadsheet user, it would be an egregious waste of time to manipulate a database just to add up a column of figures, or even create a pivot table.

A long time ago and far far away, I had a world in which spreadsheets were a relatively new thing. I had this massive project underway, a RE Development deal, and it had iterating mathemathical needs, based on a series of "what ifs." I can't tell you how laborious this was, before the advent of spreadsheet "computing," for lack of a better word, but once I could do it with 123, life was dramatically easier--and my biggest issue became printing out sheets on dot-matrix printers and figuring out how to tape them together in such a way as to be usable and presentable in a boardroom, to explain internal rates of return, etc., along with various other things, to brain-dead accountants who would fight me for every penny expended, on a project running hundreds of millions of dollars. ;-) Lotus 123 was my FRIEND, lol!

Hitch
Old 08-17-2018, 11:11 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Not everything in a spreadsheet belongs in a db, you know that. Hell, for the typical spreadsheet user, it would be an egregious waste of time to manipulate a database just to add up a column of figures, or even create a pivot table.
Oh, I know. But sure as shootin' ... a typical spreadsheet user's first mistake is to start blurring that line between db and spreadsheet as soon as they gain a little confidence in their skills. That and asking IT how to best set it up so 14 different people can use (and edit) said spreadsheet simultaneously.

Quote:
Lotus 123 was my FRIEND, lol!
As a former Notes server admin and Notes application developer, I've still got a soft-spot for Lotus Formula Language and Lotus Script.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-20-2018 at 06:10 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

A long time ago and far far away, I had a world in which spreadsheets were a relatively new thing. I had this massive project underway, a RE Development deal, and it had iterating mathemathical needs, based on a series of "what ifs." I can't tell you how laborious this was, before the advent of spreadsheet "computing," for lack of a better word, but once I could do it with 123, life was dramatically easier--and my biggest issue became printing out sheets on dot-matrix printers and figuring out how to tape them together in such a way as to be usable and presentable in a boardroom, to explain internal rates of return, etc., along with various other things, to brain-dead accountants who would fight me for every penny expended, on a project running hundreds of millions of dollars. ;-) Lotus 123 was my FRIEND, lol!

Hitch
I remember those days:
Sideways to the rescue. Start the print job and block access to the printer (so no one bumped the fanfold) and go to lunch
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:23 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I remember those days:
Sideways to the rescue. Start the print job and block access to the printer (so no one bumped the fanfold) and go to lunch
Go to lunch? YeGods, No! I stood guard over the printer, to protect it from secretaries who would push my stuff out of the way to print a letter or whatever. I was notorious for my ferocity over timesharing the printer, LOL!

Hitch
Old 08-17-2018, 11:34 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Couldn't your Sidekick guard the printer

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:05 AM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Couldn't your Sidekick guard the printer

BR

Nah, he was cleaning guano outta the Batcave.

Hitch
Old 08-19-2018, 08:01 PM   #13
FITR
FITR began at the beginning.

Device: Andriod Tablet
Many thanks to all.

Sorry for the slow reply I was out of computer range for the weekend.

Thanks Tex, what you suggested worked well.

epub is great because I can add images, gifs, videos and links to the spreadsheets. In word cant work with gifs.

Once again thanks
FITR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:15 PM   #14
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:

Hitch
But Diap enjoys being cranky, just like me.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
excel