Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-20-2018, 11:28 PM   #1
Limezy
Limezy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT, Kindle PW8
Kindle as ebike monitoring screen

Hi all!

I’m a long time reader, first time poster here.
I would like to use my old Kindle 4NT as a «*giant*» monitoring screen for my eBike. I came across this impressive DIY video :
https://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/...cycle-computer
It gives a good starting point but there is still a long way to go !

Have any of you tried a similar project ? Or contacted the scientist behind this video ?
I would love to get pieces of software to start with !
I like the fact that he is using the browser and Ajax to update only small portion of the screen.

Indeed, my first idea was to do something based on this project :
https://github.com/mpetroff/kindle-w...isplay?files=1

However, this would have my screen fully blink every time I have an information (speed, remaining time....) updated!

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Limezy; 06-20-2018 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Word missing
Limezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:33 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Have you used the little box in the upper right corner of the page labeled: "Search"?
When logged in here, leave the text box empty, click "Search".
That will give you the "Advanced Search" function page.
Try it.
You should find the original of that article's subject here.

- - - - -

Note: That article's link to a DRM ruling does not apply to anything done here.
DRM is something applied to the contents of an e-book, not to the device that display's it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #3
Limezy

Hi,
Thanks for your answer.
Of course I did use the "little box", as you name it...
Besides, this is how I discovered that browser based "cycle-computer" project !

The suject has been discussed here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0kindle&page=1
But there is nothing more than in the original IEEE article

Several topics here @Mobileread link to other sources for the same subject :
https://hackaday.com/2015/08/21/easy...ycle-computer/
https://the-digital-reader.com/2015/...bike-comupter/
However, it's always the same info and no link to any chunk of code / email adress when I could try to contact the developer

I have also read a lot here about the "WebLaunch" app that could make things cleaner by removing the adress bar, however this is only finishing touch, does not work with my Kindle 4NT, and I'm not even sure it's compatible with Ajax requests.

In a nutshell, I apologize if I've got it wrong, but it seems to me that my questions here have not been answered yet in this forum, hence my new topic.

Any help will be welcome. Otherwise, I will try to build my own copy of that software. Anyone interested tell me so that I update this topic.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #4
lucasmpr
Enthusiast
lucasmpr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limezy View Post
Hi,
Thanks for your answer.
Of course I did use the "little box", as you name it...
Besides, this is how I discovered that browser based "cycle-computer" project !

The suject has been discussed here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0kindle&page=1
But there is nothing more than in the original IEEE article

Several topics here @Mobileread link to other sources for the same subject :
https://hackaday.com/2015/08/21/easy...ycle-computer/
https://the-digital-reader.com/2015/...bike-comupter/
However, it's always the same info and no link to any chunk of code / email adress when I could try to contact the developer

I have also read a lot here about the "WebLaunch" app that could make things cleaner by removing the adress bar, however this is only finishing touch, does not work with my Kindle 4NT, and I'm not even sure it's compatible with Ajax requests.

In a nutshell, I apologize if I've got it wrong, but it seems to me that my questions here have not been answered yet in this forum, hence my new topic.

Any help will be welcome. Otherwise, I will try to build my own copy of that software. Anyone interested tell me so that I update this topic.
I have no idea what is Kindle 4NT. Sorry.

I have somewhat(I didnt manage to hide the statusbar) ported Weblaunch to firware 5.8.1 (Something like that).

WebLaunch works with ajax. You can even use jquery and everything.
lucasmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:17 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmpr View Post
I have no idea what is Kindle 4NT. Sorry.

I have somewhat(I didnt manage to hide the statusbar) ported Weblaunch to firware 5.8.1 (Something like that).

WebLaunch works with ajax. You can even use jquery and everything.
Kindle 4NT is one of the nicknames given to the basic Kindle model released in 2011 (grey) and 2012 (black). It does not have a touchscreen, and runs a 4.x version of the Kindle firmware.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2018, 08:24 AM   #6
Limezy

Hi, Many thanks for your answers.
To keep you or other interested people updated, Dave was great and gave me his full code. I'm waiting for his answer to know what licence he wants to use.
I have now lots of material to get started.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:05 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Kindle 4NT is one of the nicknames given to the basic Kindle model released in 2011 (grey) and 2012 (black). It does not have a touchscreen, and runs a 4.x version of the Kindle firmware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limezy View Post
Hi, Many thanks for your answers.
To keep you or other interested people updated, Dave was great and gave me his full code. I'm waiting for his answer to know what licence he wants to use.
I have now lots of material to get started.
And if your project requires the system to run X11 ...
Keep in mind that on the K4, only the 'diags' system has X11 installed, the 'main' system does not have it installed.

I suppose you could port it from the 'diags' to the 'main' system if you really had to.

Note:
The K4 was a transition device, both hardware and firmware, from the keyboard based devices to the touchscreen based devices.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote