Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-01-2018, 07:35 AM   #1
Chaim.Bar-Ilan
Chaim.Bar-Ilan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Keep footnotes in the chapters during conversion.

Compiling a number of articles into an ebook all individual articles' footnotes Calibre moves into one file mixing them together and re-numbering the footnotes into a new list. Re-appending the footnotes back to individual articles (which are chapters in epub) and restoring the correct numbering takes a lot of time. Can this behaviour of Calibre's conversion be modified to to keep the footnotes by the corresponding article/chapter? It involves the creation of an ebook version of a science journal, and the footnotes must be kept by the corresponding article, otherwise the structure of the article is destroyed.
Chaim.Bar-Ilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:34 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186697
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:40 PM   #3
Chaim.Bar-Ilan
Chaim.Bar-Ilan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Though separating each section's endnotes, when stripping them off articles and appending them at the end as separate files, Calibre performs a renumbering of the endnotes into single list - although in the source file the endnotes are numbered separately to each article (as per "Restart numbering each section" in the endnotes menu).
The re-appending of the endnotes back to individual articles can be done manually quite easily, but can Calibre be instructed to leave the existing endnotes in place and not re-number them into one list?
Attached Files
File Type: docx Doc.docx (265.5 KB, 570 views)
Chaim.Bar-Ilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:08 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Chaim.Bar-Ilan - I don't think it's possible to retain chapter notes in place, which is what your DOCX appears to have; this is from the DOCX sample:

Quote:
Footnotes and endnotes are automatically recognized and both are converted to endnotes, with backlinks for maximum ease of use in ebook devices.
Aside : I think your document has a typo, graphane

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:55 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah as BR said all those footnotes will become end notes at the end of the book. The endnotes however function like footnotes, because clicking on the footnote reference in a modern ebook viewer will popup the individual footnote instead of going to the end of the book to read it.

ebooks dont really have a concept of footnotes because they dont have a concept of a page. One could of course use individual html files as "pages" or "sections" but that does not map well to docx which is internallya single fileso automated conversion is not going to do it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:13 PM   #6
James Granger
James Granger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Has the calibre converter been updated yet?

I understand that all notes in the document will become endnotes, but in Word there is a function that with each section break it is possible to restart the numbers every section. In calibre it is possible to put all notes in just one HTML page and also separate sections of Word by pages, is it possible to reset the note number that will be referenced as it is in word?

I am sending an example.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Example Section Separated.docx (19.0 KB, 180 views)
James Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 11:25 AM   #7
Liudprand
Zealot
Liudprand began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
This was ages ago, I realise - but I'm just wondering if you ever figured it out? Because I'm having exactly this problem.

I know it's possible in principle for epub files to restart numbering with each section or chapter, because that format is preserved by, for example, this addon to Word:

https://daisy.org/activities/software/wordtoepub/

Unfortunately it messes up various other things - indented paras with no line-breaks into line-breaks with no indention; adding a space before note cues in the text. Basically, it's a mess, except for this one piece of functionality that I want!

Anyway, if you ever got to the bottom of it, and happen to see this message, I'd be very grateful to hear how you did it.
Liudprand is offline   Reply With Quote