Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 08-02-2019, 07:36 AM   #1
HeikoS
HeikoS began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note
KoReader slow and unresponsive

Hi,
I am using the KoReader app on an Onyx Boox Note device (Android 6).
Since a while KoReader gets more and more unresponsive for me. Out of professional reasons, I have to read a lot - so my Book folders are relatively big. Since a while it is taking ages, when I start to browse my folders or want to see my highlights in a book I already did read.
Is there any way to make the reader responsive again?
HeikoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:16 AM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
If an old version works better then I would like to know which version. If not then is just that Onyx devices are almost broken to run KOReader.

See https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/5073 and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320865
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:04 AM   #3
Norbi24
Connoisseur
Norbi24 doesn't litterNorbi24 doesn't litter

Device: Tolino Vision HD4, BOOX Poke2
Hola Pazos,

I am facing similar perf. problem on my Tolino Vision HD4 (Android 4.0.4).

Previously I had KoReader 2019.04, and it was working fine (except for the long delay during its startup, but this is probably due to pretty slow device).

BUt now I installed 2019.07, and this version is much slower - especially:

1. Once being on a ebook page, if I wish down or up to show the menus,
it takes about 4 seconds until they appear
2. Also it looks like that paging in the book is a little slower than before

With 2019.04, the menus were almost immediately there, I verified also with 2019.06, and there it was also Ok

So for me the problem seems to start with 2019.07

If you are interested in, I can make any logs or tests you would wish

Hope this helps
Thanks, Norbert
Norbi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:45 AM   #4
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
Problem with August version

wrong message

Last edited by fbrzvnrnd; 08-10-2019 at 06:04 AM.
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:04 AM   #5
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Edit: moved response to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...23#post3877223

Last edited by Frenzie; 08-10-2019 at 06:07 AM.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:18 AM   #6
Norbi24
Connoisseur

What was wrong in my message ??
Old 08-11-2019, 07:41 AM   #7
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
sorry, *mine* message was wrong, not your!
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:23 PM   #8
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbi24 View Post
Hola Pazos,

I am facing similar perf. problem on my Tolino Vision HD4 (Android 4.0.4).

Previously I had KoReader 2019.04, and it was working fine (except for the long delay during its startup, but this is probably due to pretty slow device).

BUt now I installed 2019.07, and this version is much slower - especially:

1. Once being on a ebook page, if I wish down or up to show the menus,
it takes about 4 seconds until they appear
2. Also it looks like that paging in the book is a little slower than before

With 2019.04, the menus were almost immediately there, I verified also with 2019.06, and there it was also Ok

So for me the problem seems to start with 2019.07

If you are interested in, I can make any logs or tests you would wish

Hope this helps
Thanks, Norbert
Hola Norbi24!

I guess your are on fw10, because tolinos with fw11 didn't work until 2019.6.
AFAICT there is nothing between 2019.6 and 2019.7 that could explain that behaviour.

Your best bet is downgrade to the last version that worked for you.

Your other option is to try all nightlies between 2019.4 and 2019.07 and find the last one that works fine for you. Once we have that identified we can try to understand what is the cause of your issue.

BTW, on devices with fw11 we have full control over the eink screen, so KOReader should work better -faster, I mean- and I think the version of android bumped to 4.2?. This is nice because ICS is a real pain to support - we can't test even on emulator).
Old 08-12-2019, 03:50 AM   #9
Norbi24
Connoisseur

Smile

Hola Pazos,
Yes, I am still using FW10 on Tolino, due to refresh issues with Coolreader,
and now I saw you added support for external dictionaries and I thought, I could try to integrate my spanisch-slovak dict with koreader like I did for coolreader as I think it has better rendering due to further development of crengine ...

I could upgrade my test Tolino for later FW with Android 4.4.2, but curently I am facing similar issue you referenced here and wrote in github comment that was solved (I described my behaviour also there ... )

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=24

Gracias, Norbert
Old 08-12-2019, 09:07 AM   #10
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Hola Pazos,
Yes, I am still using FW10 on Tolino, due to refresh issues with Coolreader,
Ok, can't help you with that

Quote:
Hola Pazos,
I saw you added support for external dictionaries and I thought, I could try to integrate my spanisch-slovak dict with koreader like I did for coolreader as I think it has better rendering due to further development of crengine ...
Support for user defined dictionaries is available on Android from the start. (You need to put them in /sdcard/koreader/data/dict). Which is new is the option to start a 3rd party android application to do dictionary lookups (a few are supported: Colordict, Quickdic, Aard2, GoldenDict..)

Quote:

I could upgrade my test Tolino for later FW with Android 4.4.2, but curently I am facing similar issue you referenced here and wrote in github comment that was solved
Solved in that context means that the error that this user faced was not related with changes on the build system but with his specific device and a specific out-of-memory condition while uncompressing assets.

The problem while uncompressing assets is still present for both of you (both running Ice Scream Sandwitch on a 512mb device)

In any case you'll need to go to settings->apps->koreader and delete app data. Then run KOReader again (making sure that you killed other background tasks first) and it will uncompress the assets again. This time, hopefully, without errors.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #11
Norbi24
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Which is new is the option to start a 3rd party android application to do dictionary lookups (a few are supported: Colordict, Quickdic, Aard2, GoldenDict..)
Yes, I have seen you implementation and would attemptto add two more dictionary apps I am using, but hope Frenzie would decrease somehow the mem. consumption after the setup, perhaps there would be at least a workaround to uncompress the assets manually ?
Old 08-12-2019, 02:58 PM   #12
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Yes, I have seen you implementation and would attemptto add two more dictionary apps I am using, but hope Frenzie would decrease somehow the mem. consumption after the setup, perhaps there would be at least a workaround to uncompress the assets manually ?
No workaround at runtime, it needs to be done at build time (ie: copying KOReader libs in platform/android/luajit-launcher/assets/libs and include them in platform/android/luajit-launcher/launcher/build.gradle).

Even then we still need to uncompress some assets (mainly lua files and some small elf executables). So the 7z uncompress step is unavoidable for the moment, but can be reduced from uncompressing 30mb to uncompress 3mb, so it might help.