Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2019, 11:38 AM   #31
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Changes since last version (tested on Touch N905C):
The progress (on epubs) on Header, which is Chapter name if there are chapter names is now Chapter Progress rather than Book Progress (kepubs may have always been correct). I've not checked what this does to Annotations progress on epubs.

Deficiencies still in new Reader GUI not not in earlier FW such as 4.15.x:
1) No WiFi Icon, a search on Wikipedia or Google will turn on WiFi (if you accept), but you can't turn it off until you are at Home screen, at which points it "Syncs" to Kobo, even if Automatic is disabled (likely to update recommendations rather than a complete Sync)
2) No Main menu/Home, only the Back button, so several taps may be needed to reach Home screen on ereaders with no physical Home button (physical Home button still works).

Bugs still on Reader screen in previous versions:
1) you can still "Crash" touch by selecting diagonally left down angle. Putting it to sleep for more than about 20s recovers it. Left on same line works. Right & diagonal works.
2) A deleted Annotation is still highlighted till you exit the book.
I trust you're giving Kobo feedback on these issues, and bugs?
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:56 AM   #32
albare
Connoisseur
albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kobo h2o
Suggestion. The clock in reading mode!!!
Why I need to install other app for this...
The clock could be in footer or header.

Enviado desde mi SM-A705FN mediante Tapatalk
albare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2019, 11:59 AM   #33
djazz
Enthusiast
djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One LE
@albare The clock is in top right corner in this firmware, next to the battery indicator. Just tap in the middle of the screen.

Last edited by djazz; 09-20-2019 at 12:01 PM.
djazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:13 PM   #34
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by albare View Post
Suggestion. The clock in reading mode!!!
Why I need to install other app for this...
The clock could be in footer or header.

There are issues with having a clock on eink, do you have it live and deal with the battery drain that keeping it updated and refreshing it causes. Do you have it only update on a page turn and deal with customers who are confused why it’s not updating while they’re on a page. And just how many people want this feature, is it enough to make it worth Kobos time to implement.

The miniclock mod gets around this because it’s a user created thing and the creator could just walk away from it if people here were rude to him. He’s also under the limitations of what the software will let him do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djazz View Post
@albare The clock is in top right corner in this firmware, next to the battery indicator. Just tap in the middle of the screen.
They mean without tapping anything just having a clock present.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:14 PM   #35
albare
Connoisseur
albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Yes thanks. I know this. But for me (And I say for me) is better the clock without tap nothing. Directly in header or footer.

Advert
Old 09-20-2019, 12:20 PM   #36
albare
Connoisseur

Ok. But in the read settings can exist a check to show clock an the user select it. And refresh it only in the page change... I think all people know that a book page nothing change without user interaction.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:24 PM   #37
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It's enough of a hot potato that the "clock" entry in KOReader's status bar has an extra setting to toggle whether it's updated live or on page turns...

So, yeah, not necessarily straightforward if you want to keep the twists & turns & setting knobs to a minimum AND make everyone happy .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:40 PM   #38
taos
Connoisseur
taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Update: there's a new FeatureSettings::ExcludeSyncFolders, and it seems like it takes a set of regexps that match with /mnt/*/ trimmed off the start. That might do what we want.
Wow, an entry in the configuration file, that's actually what I asked for when I complained at Kobo...
taos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:27 PM   #39
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
I just installed the update on my Kobo Glo HD. So far so good. I thought I had read somewhere in either this thread or the previous one that someone else with a Glo now had access to Overdrive, although now I cannot find the post. I don't see OD on my Glo so I assume that was not included after all? It's the one thing I dislike about my Glo and am considering upgrading to a newer Kobo just for it so I no longer have to side load library books, which are >50% of my reading. Thanks
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #40
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The inclusion of Overdrive support is country related.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:22 PM   #41
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

So, it's not supported in the US on the Glo HD? just want to be sure there's nothing else I can do to have it on this before I get a new Kobo!

Also, looking at several recent models - is the Kobo Clara the same size as the Glo HD? 6 inch screen measured diagonally?
Old 09-20-2019, 08:51 PM   #42
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
So, it's not supported in the US on the Glo HD? just want to be sure there's nothing else I can do to have it on this before I get a new Kobo!
It isn't supported anywhere on the Glo HD. It is only supported on the Aura ONE and devices released after that. And then it is only supported in some countries. From memory, these are, USA, Canada, Australia, the UK, New Zealand and the Scandinavian countries were added earlier in the year.
Quote:
Also, looking at several recent models - is the Kobo Clara the same size as the Glo HD? 6 inch screen measured diagonally?
The Clara HD has the same size and resolution screen as the Glo HD. Overall, it is a little bit smaller, which is more noticeable when they are in their Kobo cases. The Clara HD is an excellent replacement if you break or otherwise need to replace a Glo HD. But, I don't think it is enough of an update if the Glo HD is working perfectly.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-20-2019 at 09:23 PM. Reason: I have no idea why I forgot New Zealand. I mean how could an Aussie forget our Kiwi neighbours?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:17 PM   #43
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It isn't supported anywhere on the Glo HD. It is only supported on the Aura ONE and devices released after that. And then it is only supported in some countries. From memory, these are, USA, Canada, Australia, the UK, and the Scandinavian countries were added earlier in the year.
Some Kiwi Kobo owners I know have mentioned it's available to them too. Making it a clean sweep of ALL the Five Eyes nations, for the conspiratorially-inclined chapeau de tinfoil brigade.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:51 PM   #44
catsknit
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It isn't supported anywhere on the Glo HD. It is only supported on the Aura ONE and devices released after that. And then it is only supported in some countries. From memory, these are, USA, Canada, Australia, the UK, New Zealand and the Scandinavian countries were added earlier in the year.

The Clara HD has the same size and resolution screen as the Glo HD. Overall, it is a little bit smaller, which is more noticeable when they are in their Kobo cases. The Clara HD is an excellent replacement if you break or otherwise need to replace a Glo HD. But, I don't think it is enough of an update if the Glo HD is working perfectly.
It was someone in Sweden I believe who posted it was working after the update, on their Glo HD, but since I can't find it again, either I was mistaken or they meant something else. I knew it was too good to be true.

Funny you should mention breaking..... not long after I posted my Glo slipped off my chair and down next to it where I didn't see it and sat down in the recliner, only to hear a noise. Yep, broke it. I do have a spare but have passed that on to my son, so I think I am going to go for the Libra and give that a try as it will be nice to have a slightly larger one, along with the Overdrive capability.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:09 PM   #45
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
It was someone in Sweden I believe who posted it was working after the update, on their Glo HD, but since I can't find it again, either I was mistaken or they meant something else. I knew it was too good to be true.
I remember the post and checking, it was a Clara HD user from Norway. While there is a minimum firmware version for OD support, it doesn't need an update to enable. Kobo can enable OD support for a country at their end and the next time the devices in that country sync it will be available.
Quote:
Funny you should mention breaking..... not long after I posted my Glo slipped off my chair and down next to it where I didn't see it and sat down in the recliner, only to hear a noise. Yep, broke it. I do have a spare but have passed that on to my son, so I think I am going to go for the Libra and give that a try as it will be nice to have a slightly larger one, along with the Overdrive capability.
Ouch. But that is obviously fate saying that you needed to upgrade.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote