Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2019, 07:15 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I look forward to the patches. I do plan on installing 4.17. I'm currently on some version 4.8. Can someone please post a list of what patches there are that should work with 4.17? If the patches I want the most are available, I'll give it a go sometime this week. Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I like it. Installed it on my newly inherited Touch 2.0 (newest Kobo I own) and it seems to be more responsive. Turned off the header, footer and progress bar and have a full screen. With the Georgia font it looks a lot like my Sony T2 now.

EDIT: Now installed on my N905B Touch. May just go ahead and install it on the N905 and be done with it. I think I'll leave the Minis as are (at 3.19). The N905B is still not as responsive as I would like it to be (hardware?), but I like the features better (and probably won't patch 4.17 at all).

Last edited by rcentros; 09-16-2019 at 07:59 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2019, 07:38 PM   #18
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Me likey! Already, as is, it's a big step forward. So much so that it's dulling the edge of my "should I get a Libra?" urge. Which could save me some money
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:08 PM   #19
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
I like the existing header and footer arrangement (i.e., book title at the top and page number at the bottom) because it replicates better what I experience with a real book. Is that option still available with this update, or is my choice now relegated to header on (chapter progress) and off and footer on (book progress) and off?
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:10 PM   #20
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Davidfor said it would be so, but I had my doubts.. finally, the day has come that Kobo can count pages without needing special TOC modifications!
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2019, 09:16 PM   #21
Libri
Libri began at the beginning.

Device: none
Could Use An Assist Here ...

I'm new to Kobo - bought a Forma about two weeks ago. Stupid question maybe but I have no clue. How do I upgrade? Do I wait for it to do it's own? Or, if I download it, where can I find directions on how to load an upgrade??? I certainly would like to upgrade it right away!
Libri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:21 PM   #22
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Make sure your WiFi is ON and click on the sync icon.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:26 PM   #23
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libri View Post
I'm new to Kobo - bought a Forma about two weeks ago. Stupid question maybe but I have no clue. How do I upgrade? Do I wait for it to do it's own? Or, if I download it, where can I find directions on how to load an upgrade??? I certainly would like to upgrade it right away!
The risks are pretty small, but disclaimer ahead, know that it *is* possible to brick a device by manually updating firmware, in which case, you get to keep both halves.

Also know that Kobo is infamous for introducing new and exotic bugs in their firmware releases... The first to rush to install will be the first to discover these. The Kobo will update itself over time depending on how Kobo is staggering the release.

All that being said, if you want to be first in line, make sure you download the right version from the links in the first post. (in your case, Mark 7.). Unzip the .zip file. you should have 2 files and an update folder. Copy all 3 of those into the .kobo direcotry of your reader. Cleanly unmount / eject the Kobo, and it will begin the updating in less than 20 seconds.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:36 PM   #24
Libri
Libri began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The risks are pretty small, but disclaimer ahead, know that it *is* possible to brick a device by manually updating firmware, in which case, you get to keep both halves.
THANKS for the info!!!
Libri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:59 PM   #25
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I manually installed the firmware on my first generation Aura, and everything appears to work as expected. I like the new interface for the most part; however, the overall performance seems a little slower compared to the previous version, but not intolerably so.

Things that bug me: The full settings menu is no longer accessible from within a book. You have to exit to the main screen to access it.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:18 PM   #26
rashkae
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Things that bug me: The full settings menu is no longer accessible from within a book. You have to exit to the main screen to access it.
Aye, that triggered me a bit as well... On the plus side, if you open a book from a collection or search, you can now go back right to that point, which is nice. Still, there's enough space for a hamburger menu button, as well as a portrait/landcape button.. we *could* have had our cake and eat it.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:35 PM   #27
rashkae
Wizard

Okay, now I don't know whether to laugh or cry.. I thought I would try searching in a Epub book that does not have 1 Toc entry per file, (the bug supposedly fixed in 4.15.),, the Kobo can not go to the search result... it spits out a DRM error!

If that wasn't enough, the bug that causes the Kobo to forget what page your on when you exit the epub is still there.. so now *both* Epub bugs are in effect!
Old 09-16-2019, 10:38 PM   #28
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post

I was thinking about this since someone mentioned it in the 4.16 firmware thread.

How often are people going into the full settings menu when reading a book? I know several of us requested a patch to move the developer option to invert the screen to reading settings replacing adobe page numbers specifically because we didn't want to exit that far out. Though I'll grant the dev settings are rather far into the settings.

I could see wanting to get to 'My Books' or 'My Collections/Articles' quickly, but 'My Books' is three taps away still (bring up menu > 'back to home' > my books, on 4.15 it was bring up menubars > tap three lines > my books I think. I'll grant it's annoying for collections and articles at an extra tap.

Store, Recommended, and Wishlist are all things people generally have asked to hide away as much as possible here. And I have to imagine the need to use any of the three mid book would be minimal.

Now in the actually settings menu on 4.17

Accounts - I can't believe people would need to access this quickly from within a book routinely.

Overdrive - same thing

Date and Time - Unless you're a frequent flier, or live on the border of a time zone and don't like using wifi and need your Kobo to tell you the current time well...

Language and Dictionaries - you can switch between installed dictionaries in the in-book word look up which you can access without leaving the book. I think Language only changes the systems UI language not the text of a book (if I'm wrong I'll be amazed). How often are you going to be managing files which only counting the official Kobo offered ones take up 161MB (mind this is for all 22 dictionaries I doubt most people are going to use all 22 anyway so the file size used would be smaller).

Wifi settings - personally unless I'm shopping or syncing I leave mine off. If I'm reading I don't want them on.

Syncing and Updates - the only thing you can do here is enable auto sync and set day or night.

Energy And Privacy - I think the majority of people set these and then forget this settings group exists

Reading settings - I only list this so this list is complete everything in this reading settings is available from the reading settings menu in-book

Manage Downloads - You'd need a reason to need to add or remove downloads, generally I can't imagine this being something you need to do directly on a regular basis

Beta Features - for my Forma this is just the browser and large print mode, ok I can see maybe wanting to have quick access to these but the browser is well... it leaves a lot to be desired. IMO better to grab a phone and use that.

Device information and About this Kobo "product name" you're not gonna tell me you're going into these on a regular basis while reading. Save for that dev mode thing which has a patch for arguably the one feature in dev mode that is used by a large group.

Those are just my thoughts, I can see some of the above being handy to have quicker access to, but for the most part if I'm reading those are settings I don't need to have at my fingertips.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:57 PM   #29
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I was thinking about this since someone mentioned it in the 4.16 firmware thread.

How often are people going into the full settings menu when reading a book?
I look forward to reading the replies, as I was a bit puzzled that this change "triggered" some.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:05 PM   #30
rashkae
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I look forward to reading the replies, as I was a bit puzzled that this change "triggered" some.
I'm getting old,, I don't like it when someone moves my cheese