Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-18-2019, 12:48 PM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I doubt it.

Most of the people I know with ereaders have Kindles. NOT ONE uses Amazon's Cloud feature.
They only have one ereader (unlike me), so no need to sync. Most save on laptops.

The only things that would make Kobo ereaders more attractive to the mass market:
1) Cheaper than Kindle.
2) Able to use Amazon.

Competition Regulators should insist that all ebook sellers sell epub & dual-Mobi format.
Amazon is building a monopoly. They now have about 90% of ebook sales in USA, though it's a Publisher decision if DRM is used or not.

Also eink is a niche. The majority of commercial ebooks are read using apps on phones & tablets. Personally I prefer eink for reading.

Last edited by Quoth; 09-18-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:20 PM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
The only things that would make Kobo ereaders more attractive to the mass market:
1) Cheaper than Kindle.
2) Able to use Amazon.
Pretty much this. Kobo missed the US boat when they pulled out of the market back when ereaders were competitive.

Their partnership with Walmart seemed like a good chance to get back in the game, but Walmart seems to have put no effort into the partnership.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2019, 02:24 PM   #18
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Pretty much this. Kobo missed the US boat when they pulled out of the market back when ereaders were competitive.

Their partnership with Walmart seemed like a good chance to get back in the game, but Walmart seems to have put no effort into the partnership.
All the more reason I hope the new owner of BN makes a deal with Kobo. Kobo absorbs Nook, BN sells Kobos.

It wouldn’t be a fantastic blow against Amazon right away but it’d at least get Kobo in the door a bit better than Walmart seems to
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:27 PM   #19
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
All the more reason I hope the new owner of BN makes a deal with Kobo. Kobo absorbs Nook, BN sells Kobos.

It wouldn’t be a fantastic blow against Amazon right away but it’d at least get Kobo in the door a bit better than Walmart seems to
Could happen, but B&N would certainly slap the NOOK name on Kobo hardware. I'm fine with that as long as they're not running B&N software!!!
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:29 PM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Could happen, but B&N would certainly slap the NOOK name on Kobo hardware. I'm fine with that as long as they're not running B&N software!!!
I tend to prefer Nook hardware. If they would release a Nook running Kobo software, I'd be happy.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2019, 02:43 PM   #21
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
What I wish Kobo would provide would be the ability to upload personal docs/books to a cloud and sync like Kindle.

Think that would attract more people to Kobo than a trade-in program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I would like the cloud functionality also with the addition of uploading sideloared content from the Kobo device. I don't need the functionality often, but when I do it would be much more convienent to do it from the Kobo.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:32 PM   #22
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
I doubt it.

Most of the people I know with ereaders have Kindles. NOT ONE uses Amazon's Cloud feature.
They only have one ereader (unlike me), so no need to sync. Most save on laptops.

1) Cheaper than Kindle.
2) Able to use Amazon.

Competition Regulators should insist that all ebook sellers sell epub & dual-Mobi format.
Amazon is building a monopoly. They now have about 90% of ebook sales in USA, though it's a Publisher decision if DRM is used or not.

Also eink is a niche. The majority of commercial ebooks are read using apps on phones & tablets. Personally I prefer eink for reading.

In my case, seems the one thing all my friends mention about why they like their Kindles and wouldn't switch, even though they have seen and liked the screen on my Aura ONE is the whole being able to email stuff to Kindle. Honestly, I like the feature myself!

But you are right, it certainly wouldn't drive most to abandon Kindle for Kobo. Nevertheless, it would be a useful feature.

graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:37 PM   #23
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post

I'd like this. I fortunately de-DRM'd my Nook books as I bought them, so I have access, but it'd be great to also have them available to my Kobo from the cloud.

And it would definitely help get more recognition for Kobo. All the Walmart partnership has really done is make it easier for those of us in the U.S. already familiar with Kobo to buy new devices.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:49 PM   #24
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I actually prefer keeping old readers around as a fall back just in case I do something stupid and break my favorite reader. So I'd probably never return it for just a $20 credit or whatever discount they'd give (which I guarantee wouldn't be worth what I'd value the reader at).

As others said, give them to friends or family and get them hooked on ebooks if you really don't want the spares laying around, or donate them possibly to a women's/children's shelter would be a great option as well.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:06 AM   #25
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I actually prefer keeping old readers around as a fall back just in case I do something stupid and break my favorite reader. So I'd probably never return it for just a $20 credit or whatever discount they'd give (which I guarantee wouldn't be worth what I'd value the reader at).

As others said, give them to friends or family and get them hooked on ebooks if you really don't want the spares laying around, or donate them possibly to a women's/children's shelter would be a great option as well.

I kept a few too many readers around. Recently I decided 2-3 is more than enough for backup. Honestly, I now wish I'd sold off my spares sooner. I'd have gotten more cash for them.

I did give a couple away to younger family members back when, got them started on ereading. Meant to give a couple to friends, but turned out the friends weren't at all interested, thus the readers sat about, and I had the extra work of checking them to be sure they got charged as needed.

The shelter idea is not a bad one, tho! But now I'm likely to be smarter and when I upgrade, will sell off the previous device before it becomes ancient. As you say, at that point, is hardly worth the bother of selling.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:25 AM   #26
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Feel your pain! I been trying to sell my Aura since I got my 1st Clara.... about a year! Only bites I had were from people that want me to Ship it to them... Nope not happening. sigh
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote