Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-06-2019, 01:19 PM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Question I clicked "Update cached metadata on device" but Kobo's metadata hasn't changed

I have a Kobo Forma. I add books onto it with Calibre (currently 3.47.1) on Linux.

On my Kobo Forma, there are some books with info I want to fix. For example, in my Forma's listings of authors, where it should be listed as FirstName LastName, there is a book that shows up as

LastName, FirstName.

So, while the Forma and laptop are not connected, I open Calibre and find that book. I then change it from

LastName FirstName
to
FirstName Lastname

I then connect the Kobo Forma to the laptop. Then, in Calibre, I click on the Device dropdown arrow, and choose Update cached metadata on device. I eject the device. I disconnect the USB cable from the Forma.

But it still appears as
Lastname, Firstname.

What am I doing wrong?

------

UPDATE: I've tried updating the metadata while the device is connected to Calibre, and still the same failure.

Last edited by droopy; 09-06-2019 at 03:28 PM.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Kobos are different, they add the metadata to the database upon adding the book. You may need Kobo utilities, to force a DB update
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:37 PM   #3
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

theducks,
thanks for your reply. I see you have a Kobo Aura2. What do you when you edit metadata after adding the book?
Old 09-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I mostly have my ducks in a row before I first send a book (and rarely choose to read 'by Author'. Title is King )

But the Kobo Utilities Icon has a right-click: Update Device Metadata
Note that Kobos mus disconnect after adding books (or updating) for it to read the changes.. To that end, It takes a second connection-disconnect to get Series to show. So this may be for ANY DB entry (The first disconnect BUILDS the base entry. The later ones can then update it)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:50 PM   #5
droopy
Guru

Ha ha (quack quack!).

Where do you get Kobo Utilities? How do you install it?
Old 09-06-2019, 04:09 PM   #6
droopy
Guru

Found it. In Calibre>Preferences>Plugins>Add New Plugins, I searched for "Kobo Utilities".
I realized that I don't have to right-click on Devices>"Update cached metadata on device". In fact, that does nothing.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:55 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@droopy,

You can use the Kobo Utilities option 'Update metadata in device library' if you prefer. However, there is a more convenient option if you configure your calibre Kobo driver.

In Kobo Utils > Driver > Configure current driver go to the 3rd tab 'Metadata, on device & advanced' and check the box called 'Update metadata on the device'. You might like to make sure the next 2 boxes below it ('Set series info', 'Update metadata on Book Details pages') are also checked.

If you do this your Kobo device metadata (collections, author, title, series, synopsis etc...) will be kept in sync with your calibre library metadata every time you connect without you having to remember to do anything else.

Last edited by jackie_w; 09-06-2019 at 04:59 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:41 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
I realized that I don't have to right-click on Devices>"Update cached metadata on device". In fact, that does nothing.
That has nothing to do with what you are talking about. That is for calibre to cache some information it uses when matching books on the device to the library.

The answer from @jackie_w covers it. You need to set the appropriate option in the driver to have the updated done when the device is connected. Or, right-click the button for the Kobo Utilities plugin and choose the option to update the metadata in the device database.

And my answer to your post in the Kobo forum is still valid. But, you will need to set the driver option for the metadata updates to happen when the device is connected.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:38 PM   #9
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@droopy,

You can use the Kobo Utilities option 'Update metadata in device library' if you prefer. However, there is a more convenient option if you configure your calibre Kobo driver.

In Kobo Utils > Driver > Configure current driver go to the 3rd tab 'Metadata, on device & advanced' and check the box called 'Update metadata on the device'. You might like to make sure the next 2 boxes below it ('Set series info', 'Update metadata on Book Details pages') are also checked.

If you do this your Kobo device metadata (collections, author, title, series, synopsis etc...) will be kept in sync with your calibre library metadata every time you connect without you having to remember to do anything else.
(Changing of color to red for emphasis is by me, Droopy)

Hi Jackie,
You write with precision. I was figuring out why, after I had made edits to Collections (a special shelf) or changed author name while my Kobo was connected, why my Forma did not have these changes after I disconnected. I then reviewed what your wrote and see tha you did say that the changes happen when I connect, not after I disconnect. So thank you for that.

I wish though, that changes would be pushed to the Kobo not just when we connect, but also before we disconnect (just like books you "Send to Device" while connected have their finish time soon after you disconnect).
Old 09-20-2019, 10:52 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wish though, that changes would be pushed to the Kobo not just when we connect, but also before we disconnect (just like books you "Send to Device" while connected have their finish time soon after you disconnect).
To do that, you would have to intercept the disconnect, do the updates and then eject. That takes time, and it is only useful for books whose metadata has been changed while the device is connected and was already on the device when it was connected.

If you want to update the metadata before disconnecting, you can use the update metadata function in the Kobo Utilities. It should produce the same result, but, I probably should add an option to use the same setting as in the driver.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:12 PM   #11
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I probably should add an option to use the same setting as in the driver.
what does this mean? What difference would there be if you added that option as opposed to now?
Old 09-21-2019, 01:12 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
what does this mean? What difference would there be if you added that option as opposed to now?
The plugins update metadata function has a list of what can be updated. And some of them have options on how to do it. Right now, I'm not sure if you could get exactly the same result from both the plugin and the driver.