Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #286
mobichuck
mobichuck began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks, Andrew, for all of your time and work on this.

It is so close - yet so far away - from being useful to me.

The single feature this lacks that would take this from a "great effort!" to "great program!" is the ability to drag more than one book at a time into collections. Only being able to drag one book really kills the usefulness for very large libraries.

For instance, it would be really really cool if I could drag all of my Charles Dickens novels at once to the "Genre/Classics" collection or ("Author/Dickens, Charles").

Nonetheless, I know how hard it is to find time and thank you again for your work.
mobichuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #287
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I'd, too, like the idea of Control-clicking on multiple items and dragging the multiple files into collections. You can drag entire folders or, I believe, right-click on a folder and make it a collection. So if you have files in folders on the kindle, they can be "collectively" collectivized.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #288
asher
asher began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
I seem to have a problem with the "make a collection out of a folder" option. After I did this I have like all of my books on the home screen and additionally some collection folder with the same books in them.

I would like to have the books just shown in the collection, because lets assume I have 500 pdf files and each is shown on the home screen. That makes ~50 pages of home screen. But If they all would be in 5 collections... great i could navigate 1 home screen and choose which of the 5 times 100 pdf collections i want to work with.

Is that a general bump in the book management or am I doing something wrong?
asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #289
OzzyKindle
OzzyKindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I downloaded and used V 0.4.1 last night, with a Kindle 3 Software 3.0.3 UK Serial No.

Works well, but, 2 small things.

After using it, the collections folders on the home page seem to sort by the collection that contains the item most recently accessed. Is this what was intended?

And

When you change the sort order within a collection, it applies that sort order to all collections, where as previously each collection could have a different sort order.

Thanks for the great software though!

Last edited by OzzyKindle; 11-11-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Addition
OzzyKindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:17 AM   #290
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by asher View Post
I seem to have a problem with the "make a collection out of a folder" option. After I did this I have like all of my books on the home screen and additionally some collection folder with the same books in them.

I would like to have the books just shown in the collection, because lets assume I have 500 pdf files and each is shown on the home screen. That makes ~50 pages of home screen. But If they all would be in 5 collections... great i could navigate 1 home screen and choose which of the 5 times 100 pdf collections i want to work with.

Is that a general bump in the book management or am I doing something wrong?
It's important to realise that collections are tags; they are not folders. When you tag a book as being a member of a particular collection, it doesn't make it "disappear" from anywhere else. Hence, a book will always appear both in the main title/author list and in any collections that it's a member of.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #291
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
It would be beneficial, at least, to me if the HOME/WHOLE list somehow reflected what collections a book is already in. I don't even have that many books but the long list does not help me decide if a book is already part of some collection until I attempt to add it and I get the warning message. Or have I missed some key?
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #292
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
sort by collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
It would be beneficial, at least, to me if the HOME/WHOLE list somehow reflected what collections a book is already in. I don't even have that many books but the long list does not help me decide if a book is already part of some collection until I attempt to add it and I get the warning message. Or have I missed some key?
If you choose Sort by Collection on your HOME page, only books NOT in collections are shown
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:15 PM   #293
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by galeforce99 View Post
Just installed V 0.4.1 and found a problem.

The program shows duplication of titles in Kindle collections, when the Kindle itself does not show duplication and there is no physical duplication of books on the device. This occurrs in 3 different collections

To test - I deleted all of the duplicated books from a single collection [there were 2 books, each duplicated], then restarted the Kindle, checked to see that the books were no longer in the collection, then put the 2 books back into the empty collection - then when I started the KCM program again, both books were duplicated again.

The Kindle is showing the books correctly, but KCM isn't.
I too am experiencing this with a K2i 2.5.6.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:10 PM   #294
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
whoa! this sounds good.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:31 AM   #295
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyKindle View Post
I downloaded and used V 0.4.1 last night, with a Kindle 3 Software 3.0.3 UK Serial No.

After using it, the collections folders on the home page seem to sort by the collection that contains the item most recently accessed. Is this what was intended?
This is a Kindle function not something that is as a result of using KCM. Most recent first is the sorting option of the Kindle.

The only way to alter this would require you to have a search of some previous forums which utilise characters like comma, hash, full stop and space.

You prefix your collection with one of these (you'll have to do some research to find out which has priority) and then DO NOT sort by collection. By default your colelctions will appear first and in order of the character you used priority.

There have been a number of threads that discuss this som I'm confident you'll be able to work it out.

Brewjono
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:55 PM   #296
RichardD
RichardD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Hello folks

I just downloaded, installed and tried the latest version of the KCM. So far it works great with my K3. Most, if not all, of my comments have already been mentioned in this thread but I'll mention them anyway.

I'd would like to

* be able to sort the Kindle Files (left pane) (or default being sort alphabetically)
* see to which collections a book belongs
* see which books are _not_ yet in a collection
* have the ability to drag multiple books to a collection

Issues:
* I see some books duplicated in collections.

Richard
RichardD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:06 AM   #297
NeoMorph
ethicalGamer
NeoMorph began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi Andrew. This app sounds wonderful tbh... but could you add one thing?

Edit Metadata for titles!

One thing I really HATE about the collections is that you cannot sort on series name. So what I have to do is edit the name in Calibre and then send the title to the Kindle 3 and then add it into a collection.

For example Jim Butcher's Dresden Files book. I copy the ebook "Storm Front" to my PC via usb, rename the metadata title to "Dresden 01 Storm Front" and then send it back to the Kindle. Even though the book is DRM'd it lets you change the metadata in Calibre.

Now I add the book to my Dresden Files collection and when I sort via title I get a fully sorted series list. Voila!

Bit of a kerfuffle, don't you agree? But at least I can tell which is the next book in the series I have to read. I tend to download a lot of series. I've been putting off doing the rest of my ebook library until I re-read them (having a lousy memory actually is great for re-reading books).
NeoMorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:44 AM   #298
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjono View Post
This is a Kindle function not something that is as a result of using KCM. Most recent first is the sorting option of the Kindle.

The only way to alter this would require you to have a search of some previous forums which utilise characters like comma, hash, full stop and space.

You prefix your collection with one of these (you'll have to do some research to find out which has priority) and then DO NOT sort by collection. By default your colelctions will appear first and in order of the character you used priority.

There have been a number of threads that discuss this som I'm confident you'll be able to work it out.

Brewjono
This is one of these threads
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=collections

I use un underscore _ and than a space. The space is important.
If you sort by 'title' it will give you the collections first. Named like this they'll survive reboots.
The Kindle can than also sort within the collection name:
_ A. Novel A-L
_ A. Novel M-Z
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:52 AM   #299
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
NeoMorph,

Have a look at this link from the Calibre forum

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=series+order

In it you will see how to use Calibre plugboards to do this for you automatically.

I had the same problem but setup the plugboard and now when I send a book to my K3 it gives it the series name, series number and title with an abbreviated author name using initial and surname. (I specifically requested the shortened author name because the K3 can only display 2 lines of text per book entry and with the long series name, # and title and the authors full name it became too long. Initial and surname works well)

example of how it appears on my K3

Harry Bosch - 16 - The Reversal M Connelly
Maximum Ride - 04 - The Final Warning J Patterson
Twice Shy D Francis

NB: By using the templates provided in the above link you can see that if the book does not belong to a series it doesn't get numbered, as per the Dick Francis novel.

Originally I setup my collections using the Series name and then dropped that series in it. So far Michael Connelly I had 3 Collections setup, 1 for each series I was reading.

Once I was able to setup the title names as above I then used KCM to tidy things up. As I have the common complaint of not being able to select more than 1 file at a time using KCM I followed another posters advice and jsut used the author name.

I went in and removed all my collections and then I just dragged the entire left hand column into the right hand column. This made 1 collection per author and solved the dragging and dropping of individual files. In one click and drag I established 30 collections, by author, containing over 700 books, that once opened had each series separated off.

Hope this helps,

Brewjono.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #300
ducks
ducks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 and Kindle 2 and Kindle 3
brewjono -
How do you drag the entire left hand column to the right column? I'm maybe missing something obvious, but I can't find a way to move all at once.
thanks
ducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collection manager, collections, kindle, kindle 2, kindle 3, kindle dx, manager