Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
camprunner
camprunner began at the beginning.

Device: none
Should I share a B & N account with 8yo DD?

The worst thing that I usually read are Christian Romance Novels. I could see my self reading something that might not necessarily be for her eyes (it really hurt my feelings when I caught my mom reading "how to deal with the difficult child" or something like that) but probably not that often as I usually just download whatever is free.

She has a concern that she doesn't want my books on her Nook. Is there a way we could delete my books from her nook and not mine if we shared an account?

I only hook up our wireless network when I'm downloading to my Nook so most likely she will not be able to purchase books herself even if she wanted to.

We are planning to use both Nooks as part of our homeschooling (we can both follow while the other reads) so we will share quite a few of the same books but when we do will most likely be on the same page anyway.

So what do you think? Separate accounts or the same? My preference would the same but she really doesn't want to naviage around my books.
camprunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by camprunner View Post
The worst thing that I usually read are Christian Romance Novels. I could see my self reading something that might not necessarily be for her eyes (it really hurt my feelings when I caught my mom reading "how to deal with the difficult child" or something like that) but probably not that often as I usually just download whatever is free.

She has a concern that she doesn't want my books on her Nook. Is there a way we could delete my books from her nook and not mine if we shared an account?

I only hook up our wireless network when I'm downloading to my Nook so most likely she will not be able to purchase books herself even if she wanted to.

We are planning to use both Nooks as part of our homeschooling (we can both follow while the other reads) so we will share quite a few of the same books but when we do will most likely be on the same page anyway.

So what do you think? Separate accounts or the same? My preference would the same but she really doesn't want to naviage around my books.
You do not need to share an account to share books. B&N's DRM allows you to share books by just copying them to another Nook.
You could register your daughter's Nook to her own account, or choose not to register it al all. You than just copy the books you want her to read to her Nook using the USB connection (the easiest way is to copy them from a PC on which you have the Nook PC reader installed registered to your account).

For the first book your daughter's Nook will ask for the credit card number and name the book was bought with (B&N's DRM). The Nook will remember this for all other books and just open them.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
camprunner

Most of the books are free so it's not a huge deal but I would rather not get charged twice for the books. Can I be certain that this won't happen? Also some of the books I've already downloaded to my Nook for her are no longer free so I want to make sure we don't get charged for those either.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Most of the books are free so it's not a huge deal but I would rather not get charged twice for the books. Can I be certain that this won't happen? Also some of the books I've already downloaded to my Nook for her are no longer free so I want to make sure we don't get charged for those either.
All the B&N e-books that you have bought are in your B&N library on the B&N website. You can download those books as many times as you like.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
You won't be charged twice.

If you haven't already, install the nook app for PC and download your library there. Your library is already paid for. Hook up your child's nook by USB. Go into the Documents/My B&N Ebooks directory and copy the books you want your child to have to the my documents folder on the nook. They will show up as "My Documents," not "My B&N Library." The nook will ask for your name and cc number to open the book.

Another thing you could do register both nooks to the account and archive all the books you don't want her to see, Hide Archived Items, and then have her turn off the wifi/3g on her nook. You would then reconnect your nook to wifi/3g and unarchive the stuff you want to read. This would take some ongoing manual syncing to maintain, I'd think. You'd also have to trust your 8-yo not to reconnect the nook to the internet and show archived items.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
camprunner

Due to living in the boonies and only having a cellular connection that works terrible with our wireless router, it's only connected when I'm downloading something for the nook. So I'm sure she wouldn't. However the side loading worked a lot smoother than I thought. She was just disappointed that she can no longer have the option to see the covers of the book.

It was great this morning to sit down this morning and take turns reading the same book. And last night she read some of one of the books that I'd downloaded for her to read for fun. This is working out well!