Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-16-2017, 11:35 AM   #1
AlanD
AlanD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Separate 'Eject device' icon wanted

Is there an easy way to put an 'eject this device' icon into the 'main toolbar when device is connected'? This would save having to pull down the sub-menu from the 'device' or 'send to device' icons.

(Sorry if there's a better place to raise this question.)
AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD View Post
Is there an easy way to put an 'eject this device' icon into the 'main toolbar when device is connected'? This would save having to pull down the sub-menu from the 'device' or 'send to device' icons.

(Sorry if there's a better place to raise this question.)
You could try the SmartEject calibre plugin.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #3
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I always go a step further after ejecting a device from Calibre. I drop to the command line and run the "mount" command to make sure it was cleanly unmounted (this is in Linux).

I have never seen Calibre fail to successfully eject a device, or for that matter have never seen Linux have any problems either (assuming the device is not currently in use). But I do this check out of habit, from back in the old days when I used to use Windows over a decade ago. Ejecting devices (called "unmounting in Linux") has always been hit-or-miss in Windows. You often times get an error saying "Windows cannot eject this device right now, try again later". And then later, sometimes, you still can't eject it. One of those weird Windows failures that pop up fairly regularly.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:20 AM   #4
AlanD
AlanD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
SmartEject plugin is just what I needed - problem solved. I've initially configured it not to do any checking but I'll experiment.

As for Windows failing to eject/unmount devices this can still be a problem. It's generally on large capacity devices where I suspect there's background virus-checking which keeps it locked.
AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote