Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-14-2017, 08:41 PM   #1
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
How do you promote multiple versions?

Reflowable vs Fixed; Epub 2.0 vs Epub 3.0; Kindle vs iBooks - factor in the combinations, and you could produce eight different versions of your ebook right there. In fact, I saw an article about people who go to insane lengths to release their ebook in half a dozen flavors, though I can't locate it right now.

My first book will probably be reflowable, though I'm not yet certain if I want to go with Epub 2.0 or 3.0 (or both). I'd like to sell it on Amazon and Apple both. My second book will probably include a fixed version, as it has far more images and tables.

So I was wondering how people who release multiple versions of various titles promote and advertise them.

I assume you don't need to specify "Amazon Kindle" or "Apple iBook," because people just assume that anything sold by Amazon will work on a Kindle. Ditto for iBook.

But do you tell prospective customers that your design is fixed or reflowable? Do you tell them that it's Epub 2.0 or Epub 3.0?

If so, how do you convey this information? Do you include the words "Epub 2.0, Reflowable" on the front cover (which doesn't seem practical, in most cases), or is there a better way of doing it?

On a similar note, do some people sometimes charge more for certain versions? For example, a simple reflowable book that sells for $25 might sell for $30 for a more ambitious fixed version that has bigger pictures or $50 for a deluxe version that includes some embedded audio or video files.

Have you seen people doing similar things?
SigilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I can't answer the advertising questions, but I wanted to mention that, as a customer, I wouldn't spend more for a fixed layout vs reflowable of the same book... If I even noticed there were different versions...

What I would be seriously upset about is if I found out that my reflowable version had inferior image sizes compared to a fixed version. I would probably return the book and ask for my money back. How do you know if I'm reading your reflowable book on my phone or on my 12K uber-iThing??

As I mentioned in a previous post, you don't need to worry about image size. Most devices/apps have the ability to zoom/pan on images if they are natively larger than the display size. (try double-tapping on the image??)

If you reallllly want the customer to see your images in all their glory then link them to your website...
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
If you reallllly want the customer to see your images in all their glory then link them to your website...
Ah, that's one of my next questions. I definitely want some interaction between my ebooks and my websites.
SigilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:38 PM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Yes, that works....but be aware some devices don't have a built-in internet browser or they might need to be connected to wifi to actually display your website.

The good news is that most users with those older style devices are aware of their limitations and won't hold that against you!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:27 AM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I am not understanding your logic here. Having more than one version of the same book and pricing them differently should be avoided if you possibly can. When customers search for your book on Amazon or iTunes and multiple versions of the same come up that is going to create confusion and discourage sales.

If your book can be expressed at all reasonably in reflowable layout then that should be your choice for the best customer experience over a wide range of device types. It adapts to various screen sizes and allows the customer to select the font and font size most readable to them.

Only consider fixed layout for certain specific book types that can't be done well reflowable. Amazon limits fixed layout to children's books, comics/manga, and text books. The Kindle reading software has enhancements to support these book types, such as pop-up panels for comics. All other books should be reflowable on that platform.

How would a customer know whether to choose EPUB 2 or 3 when buying a book? Almost all of the differences between these formats are invisible to the customer. EPUB 3 with the proper EPUB 2 fall-backs should work just about anywhere. It won't matter on Amazon because your book will be converted to their propriety formats as part of the publishing process. I don't think it makes any difference on iTunes either.

The only exception I think makes sense is if you want a separate version with animation and/or audio (not narration) then do a different edition for that because the device support will be more limited and many customers will want to choose whether or not to have that feature.

Just my 2 cents.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2017, 01:14 PM   #6
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I buy many books from O'Reilly Media. The way they promote multiple versions is that once you buy a title, you get all the versions. In O'Reilly's case this is at least Kindle, epub and PDF. If you buy a hard copy, you get all the e-book versions for $5 more.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:42 AM   #7
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
I was recently reading The Digital Reader's article, The Failure of Print and E-Book Bundling, and thought it was relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
So I was wondering how people who release multiple versions of various titles promote and advertise them.

I assume you don't need to specify "Amazon Kindle" or "Apple iBook," because people just assume that anything sold by Amazon will work on a Kindle. Ditto for iBook.
I think Apple specifically has rules against using the term "iBook", and heavily crack down on any books trying to use it.

The few EPUB2 books I have seen that were later rereleased as EPUB3 books with some video were called "Enhanced eBooks". Not too sure on how well they sold compared to the original (probably not well, as I haven't seen them produce any more).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
If your book can be expressed at all reasonably in reflowable layout then that should be your choice for the best customer experience over a wide range of device types. It adapts to various screen sizes and allows the customer to select the font and font size most readable to them.

Only consider fixed layout for certain specific book types that can't be done well reflowable. Amazon limits fixed layout to children's books, comics/manga, and text books. The Kindle reading software has enhancements to support these book types, such as pop-up panels for comics. All other books should be reflowable on that platform.
I agree with the rest of your post as well.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 02-20-2017 at 01:24 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:58 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
I think Apple specifically has rules against using the term "iBook", and heavily crack down on any books trying to use it.
That's funny, considering that their ePUB programs are known for creating iBooks specific code (although it is getting better) and that for some things specific iBook hacks are needed.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:03 AM   #9
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Heh. So I went looking at their Guidelines:

https://www.apple.com/itunes/marketi...uidelines.html

and here it is:

Quote:
iBook: Don’t use this term. Use “book” when referring to the media type or "digital book" when referring to the publishing category.
And I swear I read articles of them actually pulling books down for using the term... but after a quick search I can't find the articles. Am I going insane? Maybe I was confusing it with their draconian crackdowns at the mere mention of other retailers.

Side Note: And back to the Fixed Layout stuff... I ran across this article by AlPe, "(Current) Fixed Layout eBooks Considered Harmful":

http://www.albertopettarin.it/blog/2...d-harmful.html

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 02-20-2017 at 06:14 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Heh. So I went looking at their Guidelines:

https://www.apple.com/itunes/marketi...uidelines.html

and here it is:

And I swear I read articles of them actually pulling books down for using the term... but after a quick search I can't find the articles. Am I going insane? Maybe I was confusing it with their draconian crackdowns at the mere mention of other retailers.

Side Note: And back to the Fixed Layout stuff... I ran across this article by AlPe, "(Current) Fixed Layout eBooks Considered Harmful":

http://www.albertopettarin.it/blog/2...d-harmful.html
Yes, the term iBooks refers to the app not to the books themselves. So far as Apple is concerned the books are ePub 2 or ePub 3 compliant and don't have a special mnemonic for them. They are preserving their copyright and trademarked name.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, versions