Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-15-2015, 09:05 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Stagefright again

I installed the latest Stagefright Detector app on my Fire Phone and Fire HD6. Apparently some additional vulnerabilities have been found and the update we got some weeks ago did not patch them all. Got the same results for both, as one might expect:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-10-15-17-56-06.png
Views:	253
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	142877  
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:36 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I installed the latest Stagefright Detector app on my Fire Phone and Fire HD6. Apparently some additional vulnerabilities have been found and the update we got some weeks ago did not patch them all. Got the same results for both, as one might expect:
Have you contacted support letting them know this? I think Amazon is always a step behind other Android so hopefully there may be another update coming.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2015, 12:32 AM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Have you contacted support letting them know this? I think Amazon is always a step behind other Android so hopefully there may be another update coming.
I did that last time (my one and only Mayday call to date), talked to four different people, none of whom knew anything about it. About a week later, an update dropped that fixed the then-known issues. So I think we can assume they pay attention to this stuff. Zimperium seems pretty ethical and probably contacts the affected vendors before publishing their findings publicly so they have had a chance to prepare patches. If I remember it was announced at Black Hat conference, and the patch probably arrived less than 3 weeks later.

The HD6 is getting the 5.x update, which may well have all these fixes in it, but it will be interesting to see if they come through with an update for Fire Phone. At least in its original manifestation phones were more vulnerable as texting provided the easiest exploit.

Meanwhile my Moto G remains unpatched, months after it was reported. The wireless company has stated an update is coming but that was awhile ago. The complication there is that they take Motorola's update and then have to add their customization.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-16-2015 at 12:35 AM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote