Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-21-2012, 05:12 AM   #91
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
My thought exactly! Can't do near as much on a tablet as a nice laptop, so I would never pay more for a tablet!
I have to concur....I am interested in the windows Talet pro as my first tablet....if the battery life is good...ie.. better than 5 hours that i get on my ultra portable....But the windows Pro tablet with the keyboard is just under 1kilo...

My Acer 11.6 notebook V5-171 with i5 cpu, Ivory Bridge, 500gigs of space, 6 gigs of RAM, VGA, HDMI, earthnet, and USB 3.0 is only 1.35kgs.... Which I take on my bike 4 days a week to teach at several Unis.....no problem with the weight and already has a built in keyboard....

Give me double the battery life and I might look at a windows Surface....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #92
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Two words for you; ASUS Padfone.
Saw it at the airport just two days ago. Mediocre phone and mediocre tablet. Very unfortunate, I do love the concept.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #93
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
I've been waiting for years for a device like the one suggested. The ultimate device for me will be a phone that I can carry with me all the time, but still allows me to easily connect to a docking/charging station with large display and my usual external keyboard. So just one device for all my needs.
You can *almost* do this now with any good Android phone or iPhone 4 up. You need a monitor or TV with HDMI input, a bluetooth keyboard and whatever HDMI adapter or cable your phone needs. When you need to do more serious work, plug the HDMI adapter in (most adapters require power, so the phone charges as you work), and connect to the bluetooth KB. The phone become the trackpad. I do this with my A100 tablet, and am planning to get an HDMI adapter for my Galaxy Note. The productivity boost with this setup is amazing.

What you don't get is any boost in computing power, so Wizwor's dream (which I also share) remains unfulfilled.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #94
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
What you don't get is any boost in computing power, so Wizwor's dream (which I also share) remains unfulfilled.
That would take putting a second tablet into the docking station, running in headless mode, with a distributed processing setup between the two. It can be done, just isn't very likely because of the expense involved.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #95
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Cheaper models at $399, that are 2x what the original rumored prices were. That's not a bad price for a full-sized tablet, but if the Asus prices are typical, or even close, then Win8 tablets are DOA.
I still don't see why that is. At the same price as the iPad, the corresponding win8 tablet has better specs. With specs as low as the iPad's it is easy to lower the price. And there will be low end win8 tablets on the market.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #96
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
That would take putting a second tablet into the docking station, running in headless mode, with a distributed processing setup between the two. It can be done, just isn't very likely because of the expense involved.
I used to do something similar in a industrial setting with a machine vision system back in the Pentium days using QNX and Qnet. Multiple systems linked via ethernet, totally transparent. Need more power? Add another node. Nodes could be taken on and off line at will with no interruption (except the originating node).

RIM now owns QNX, and has pretty much done nothing with it.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #97
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Saw it at the airport just two days ago. Mediocre phone and mediocre tablet. Very unfortunate, I do love the concept.
2 is coming any day now.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #98
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
I still don't see why that is. At the same price as the iPad, the corresponding win8 tablet has better specs.
The two cheaper ASUS tablets have resolution that is half that of the iPad 3 in each direction.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #99
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I still don't see why that is. At the same price as the iPad, the corresponding win8 tablet has better specs. With specs as low as the iPad's it is easy to lower the price. And there will be low end win8 tablets on the market.
Microsoft is unlikely to compete with Apple head-to-head on polish, features, app ecosystem, and consumer mind share. Taking on the iPad straight up is likely to fail, as much as I'd hope otherwise. Amazon realized this so they went for a different slice of the market with the Fire.

If Manufacturers don't beat Apple on price then I don't think they're going to get enough market attention to succeed. I mean MS could have owned the tablet market years ago, but they let it languish with high-priced models with poor useability. Consumers stayed away in droves. I'm hoping they don't make the same mistakes with Win8. We'll see.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #100
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
The two cheaper ASUS tablets have resolution that is half that of the iPad 3 in each direction.
Which is important for media consumption, but I find completely unnecessary when it comes to anything that I do that is work related, it just drains the battery faster. On the other hand, the better processor and double the memory are very useful.

The monitor of my desktop at work has a resolution of 1280x1024. If I would be using it to play HD games or watch movies in HD, the resolution of the iPad would be a great improvement. For work it would be only a pointless waste of energy and processing power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Microsoft is unlikely to compete with Apple head-to-head on polish, features, app ecosystem, and consumer mind share. Taking on the iPad straight up is likely to fail, as much as I'd hope otherwise. Amazon realized this so they went for a different slice of the market with the Fire.
It looks like MS is going after a different slice of the market as well: high performance.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #101
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Which is important for media consumption, but I find completely unnecessary when it comes to anything that I do that is work related, it just drains the battery faster. On the other hand, the better processor and double the memory are very useful.
Seriously?
Try coding on a screen with only 768 vertically, then on one with 1080 or more, and then say there is no difference.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #102
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Seriously?
Try coding on a screen with only 768 vertically, then on one with 1080 or more, and then say there is no difference.
I would prefer a bigger screen size to a higher pixel density.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #103
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Seriously?
I have coded a lot with different number of lines in my Emacs and I adapt to what I have and do not notice any disadvantages with respect to efficiency. For testing you sometimes need more screen area.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #104
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
It looks like MS is going after a different slice of the market as well: high performance.
If they're going after the consumer market then that's a strategy destined to crash and burn in spectacular fashion. That's too bad. I had hopes MS might have learned something this time around.

And if they're going after the techie/hobbysist market then someone deserves to be fired for that strategy.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #105
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
2 is coming any day now.
Interesting concept, but the price won't be cheap, I guess.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote