Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #31
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Thank you for testing. Maybe we should also insert a warm up phase after returning from nickel.
That sounds like a good idea!

There is some other minor annoyance. I don't know what is responsible for that, but when you exit koreader with the front light on, the light stays on and you can't turn it off with the light button.
When you exit vlasovsoftlauncher, the light is automatically turned off. I'd prefer that
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:31 AM   #32
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
There is some other minor annoyance. I don't know what is responsible for that, but when you exit koreader with the front light on, the light stays on and you can't turn it off with the light button.
When you exit vlasovsoftlauncher, the light is automatically turned off. I'd prefer that
Light control, this is something I didn't give much attention until now. Right now that is beyond me, but maybe we can try to address this problem at a later point.
Could you give me some information about the light? I guess on power on, the light is off (when you use the menu). Is it possible to toggle the light at this time with the light button? What happens when you exit nickel with the light on? If you press "sleep" in the menu when the light is on, does the light stay on? This would be a major annoyance.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:03 AM   #33
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I upload here an update file that addresses the display orientation problem with Aura HD after boot and when returning from nickel.

If I get confirmation that it actually works, I will include it in the main package.
Attached Files
File Type: zip changesForAuraHD.zip (77.4 KB, 308 views)
Old 02-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #34
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I installed the update over my already working menu, from the earlier testing. It seems to work fine but the font used is much smaller. It might be nice if there were more space between lines to make selection easier.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #35
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I installed the update over my already working menu, from the earlier testing. It seems to work fine but the font used is much smaller. It might be nice if there were more space between lines to make selection easier.

Luck;
Ken
Thank your for testing. The update replaced (among other things) your usersettings.txt in order to remove a line of code that was needed only during our test. Unfortunately, I inserted my font size values, which are fine on the Touch. Please edit yours manually. I will set larger font size in the main package. Thank you for the information.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #36
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Could you give me some information about the light?

tshering: I guess on power on, the light is off (when you use the menu).
trekk: Yes, it is.

tshering: Is it possible to toggle the light at this time with the light button?
trekk: No, not possible.

tshering: What happens when you exit nickel with the light on?
trekk: The light is still on in the menu. On the Aura HD the screen also flips 180°.

tshering: Hmmm...

trekk: You didn't ask, but I tell you anyway, at this point it is not possible to turn the light off with the light button.

thsering: If you press "sleep" in the menu when the light is on, does the light stay on?
trekk: Sadly, it does... Can I go reading now?

Sorry, I just had to do this
Old 02-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #37
tshering
Wizard

Sorry, if I keep you from reading, but

Quote:
tshering: What happens when you exit nickel with the light on?
trekk: SKIP On the Aura HD the screen also flips 180°.
Even after applying the patch from post #33. If yes, is this only when the light is on, or always?
Old 02-12-2014, 07:28 AM   #38
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
I wonder if its possible to include a basic file manager in this menu.

I was thinking about a scenario like this:
You are on vacations, away from computers with your reader, and somehow it gets into a "software trouble".
You can fix this with a factory reset, but then you lose all the patches that you've made.

But if you had somewhere a folder with the last "KoboRoot.tgz" firmware and all your patches unpacked, you could copy them to the .kobo folder and perform the updates one at the time.
I know that an update is not the same with a factory reset, but it it something ...

This also takes for granted that the menu and your backup folder will survive the installations.
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #39
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by embryo View Post
I was thinking about a scenario like this:
You are on vacations, away from computers with your reader, and somehow it gets into a "software trouble".
You can fix this with a factory reset, but then you lose all the patches that you've made.

But if you had somewhere a folder with the last "KoboRoot.tgz" firmware and all your patches unpacked, you could copy them to the .kobo folder and perform the updates one at the time.
I know that an update is not the same with a factory reset, but it it something ...

This also takes for granted that the menu and your backup folder will survive the installations.
I was also thinking of this scenario. If you look at the "scripts > restore" menu, you will find some "restore ..." scripts. One of those scripts is "restore KoboRoot.tgz.sh," it assumes that there is a KoboRoot.tgz in .kobo\kbmenu\copyrepos and copies it to .kobo. "restore" is of course a misnomer in this case.

The second solution is this. Go to "scripts > external sd." There, you find "list sh on sd.msh." This lets you browse the external sd for script files, and lets you execute them. You can for instance put KoboRoot.tgz somewhere on your external sd, and a script file that copies KoboRoot.tgz to .kobo.

Last edited by tshering; 02-12-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #40
trekk
Terraner

Quote:
Sorry, if I keep you from reading...
You didn't. My previous post was supposed to be funny. I hope, there has been no misunderstanding, as English is not my native language and I always struggle with it.

Quote:
Even after applying the patch from post #33. If yes, is this only when the light is on, or always?
May fault, after applying the patch the orientation of the screen is correct, only the light is still on.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:59 PM   #41
trekk
Terraner

I played a bit with the patch from #33. At first the orientation in the menu and the submenus is correct. When I start nickel and close it with nickel_exit, the orientation still is ok.

Any menu entry I choose after that is flipped again. With every other tap the screen flips again 180°.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #42
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
My previous post was supposed to be funny.
That is exactly how I understood it to be meant.
Quote:
I hope, there has been no misunderstanding,
Not at all!
Quote:
as English is not my native language and I always struggle with it.
Same here!

Quote:
I played a bit with the patch from #33. At first the orientation in the menu and the submenus is correct. When I start nickel and close it with nickel_exit, the orientation still is ok.

Any menu entry I choose after that is flipped again. With every other tap the screen flips again 180°.
It seems we have to give up --- or find another way.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #43
tshering
Wizard

Controlling the front light

Quote:
Quote:
Light control, this is something I didn't give much attention until now. Right now that is beyond me, but maybe we can try to address this problem at a later point.
Fortunately, KevinShort wrote a "frontlight" program. Put this program into .kobo/kbmenu/tools, and put the following script (frontlight.msh) into .kobo/kbmenu/scripts:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

frontlightprg=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/kbmenu/tools/frontlight
kbmenudir=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/kbmenu

lightlevels="0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12"
moptions="$lightlevels return:arrowup.png return_home:arrowup.png"
while [ "$selection" != "EXIT" ]; do
  selection=$(sh $kbmenudir/kobomenu.sh $moptions)
  case $selection in
    return)  selection="EXIT";;
    return_home)
      selection="EXIT"
      echo "return_home"
      ;;
    *)
     $frontlightprg "$selection"
      ;;
  esac
done
If you already have the program at another folder, edit the line frontlightprg=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/kbmenu/tools/frontlight accordingly.
I don't know how many light levels there actually are. I took them to go up to 12. If you have more information, edit the line lightlevels="0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12" accordingly.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #44
trekk
Terraner

Excellent! This works on the Aura HD as well as on the Glo.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #45
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Excellent! This works on the Aura HD as well as on the Glo.
Thank you for the feedback! I think, I will include this in the next package.