Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
slate
Connoisseur
slate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura about

Device: N/A
Developing on the Kobo Arc

-----

Last edited by slate; 09-06-2013 at 03:12 PM.
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
slate
Connoisseur
slate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura about

-----

Last edited by slate; 02-05-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
ibabob
ibabob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc
Cool ! Did you try to root the Arc yet ?
ibabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
slate
Connoisseur

------

Last edited by slate; 02-02-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:24 AM   #5
xenupuppy
xenupuppy began at the beginning.

Device: kobo arc
Could you outline the steps?

What OS are you running on the computer you use to talk to the arc? I have Windows 8 and I am encountering driver issues. I'm ready to go the vm route and would appreciate suggestions for what OS to load.

EDIT: Duh, I should have read the first post in the thread. Still interested in the steps for rooting though.

Last edited by xenupuppy; 01-27-2013 at 12:29 AM.
xenupuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
universum
universum began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post
yes it can be rooted

I've been struggling with this for weeks, please do elaborate on the details. I can't get the adbd to run with root permissions so I can't push the su binary. I'm running Mac OS X and I had some trouble getting adb to recognize but I went to ~/.android/ and created adb_usb.ini with the Arc's Vendor ID as the content and since then it always seems to recognize it. I still can't get the files over though.

I've tried a few apk's that use certain exploits but I've had no luck.
Did you flash a custom ROM? If so, where did you get it?

I'd greatly appreciate a point in the right direction.
universum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
Arobase40
Arobase40 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by universum View Post
I've been struggling with this for weeks, please do elaborate on the details. I can't get the adbd to run with root permissions so I can't push the su binary. I'm running Mac OS X and I had some trouble getting adb to recognize but I went to ~/.android/ and created adb_usb.ini with the Arc's Vendor ID as the content and since then it always seems to recognize it. I still can't get the files over though.

I've tried a few apk's that use certain exploits but I've had no luck.
Did you flash a custom ROM? If so, where did you get it?

I'd greatly appreciate a point in the right direction.
I guess there is a misunderstanding on Slate's posts... ^^

The application "Root Checker Basic" is not supposed to root any Android devices BUT just to say if it's "rootable"... You have to understand the subtlety...

The whole explanations from Slate doesn't mention how to root the Kobo Arc nor how to use any exploit to get root.

Installing the SDK with adb and trying to push the su binary won't help you to get root either !!!

I was also about to buy a Kobo Arc when I saw this topic, but without getting root, it's "for me" just useless.

Then the second problem with this device is that we don't know if there is a locked bootloader or not (just with Toshiba Excite AT270/AT300 device or with Archos one), so you could flash an alternative ROM.

So unless you want to use it "as is", just forget about it as it seems there is really no support at all from Kobo and no dev teams willing to work on it.

You can also try to write to Kobo to have some explanations...

Good luck !
Arobase40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arobase40 View Post
So unless you want to use it "as is", just forget about it as it seems there is really no support at all from Kobo and no dev teams willing to work on it.
Oh, there are people working on the Arc at Kobo - we just got a 280MB update a few days ago. What they don't have, at the moment, is any communication on the subject...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
universum
universum began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arobase40 View Post
I guess there is a misunderstanding on Slate's posts... ^^

The application "Root Checker Basic" is not supposed to root any Android devices BUT just to say if it's "rootable"... You have to understand the subtlety...

The whole explanations from Slate doesn't mention how to root the Kobo Arc nor how to use any exploit to get root.

Installing the SDK with adb and trying to push the su binary won't help you to get root either !!!

I was also about to buy a Kobo Arc when I saw this topic, but without getting root, it's "for me" just useless.

Then the second problem with this device is that we don't know if there is a locked bootloader or not (just with Toshiba Excite AT270/AT300 device or with Archos one), so you could flash an alternative ROM.

You can also try to write to Kobo to have some explanations...

Good luck !
By "struggling with this for weeks" I mean exactly that. In those weeks I've tried every apk with built in exploits I could find, most are dated and none have worked.

When I try to push, obviously without root privs, it won't let me. Of course chroot isn't available either... what I really want at this moment is to get Debian running.
When trying to boot adb in a root shell, I get the error "adbd cannot run as root on production builds."
There is a recovery script in /dev/ somewhere, I can't make heads or tails of it right now though, and again, the image it points to is probably in the ro filesystem so that's probably a dead end, though I know absolutely nothing about modifying recoveries or flashing ROMs (if they're even related).

What interests me about slate's post is that it says "it can be rooted..." I'd like to know how, at least, so I can attempt the process myself.

I have actually contacted Kobo Tech Help, but it turns out they really only offer help on the reader aspect... perhaps limited to Tapestries. I don't even think the agent understood the word "kernel." I was inquiring as to whether or not USB-OTG would be supported, if I found a means to mod the stream, i.e. a micro-to-A host adapter, would the standard ICS USB support be available... they replied by telling me there is no host port, only a micro. That's when I replied more specifically and then I was told they can only offer help on the reading side of things, the relay was then ended.
I asked what is meant by the "open access" to android advertised on the Kobo.com Arc Tech Specs page, but I got no response :/

Something tells me the devs are not associated with the tech help, at all.

I will not give up until I've unlocked the power of the Arc, haha.

[EDIT] I just saw, now, that slate has edited his post and there is no longer anything but dashes there, now. My heart has sunken and I shake my head at slate. Still.. I will not give up.

Last edited by universum; 02-05-2013 at 11:55 AM. Reason: revelation
universum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:11 AM   #10
Arobase40
Arobase40 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by universum View Post
By "struggling with this for weeks" I mean exactly that. In those weeks I've tried every apk with built in exploits I could find, most are dated and none have worked.

When I try to push, obviously without root privs, it won't let me. Of course chroot isn't available either... what I really want at this moment is to get Debian running.
When trying to boot adb in a root shell, I get the error "adbd cannot run as root on production builds."
There is a recovery script in /dev/ somewhere, I can't make heads or tails of it right now though, and again, the image it points to is probably in the ro filesystem so that's probably a dead end, though I know absolutely nothing about modifying recoveries or flashing ROMs (if they're even related).

What interests me about slate's post is that it says "it can be rooted..." I'd like to know how, at least, so I can attempt the process myself.

I have actually contacted Kobo Tech Help, but it turns out they really only offer help on the reader aspect... perhaps limited to Tapestries. I don't even think the agent understood the word "kernel." I was inquiring as to whether or not USB-OTG would be supported, if I found a means to mod the stream, i.e. a micro-to-A host adapter, would the standard ICS USB support be available... they replied by telling me there is no host port, only a micro. That's when I replied more specifically and then I was told they can only offer help on the reading side of things, the relay was then ended.
I asked what is meant by the "open access" to android advertised on the Kobo.com Arc Tech Specs page, but I got no response :/

Something tells me the devs are not associated with the tech help, at all.

I will not give up until I've unlocked the power of the Arc, haha.

[EDIT] I just saw, now, that slate has edited his post and there is no longer anything but dashes there, now. My heart has sunken and I shake my head at slate. Still.. I will not give up.
Don't even try to argument with the Tech support as they mostly don't know anything about the the inner side of the system.

Just ask them how to get in touch with the kobo dev team !!!

First question you need to ask them is : does this Tablet has a locked Bootloader or NOT ??? This is the most important question ever !!!

Depending of the answer, you will know if you have a chance to root the Kobo Arc or not...

You can try to ask them about the partition data structure or try to guess them from other similar devices...

For OTG, you just need to buy some OTG cables for some bucks and test them by yourself. Buy them from Amazon as with their policy you can easily get a refund if their don't work.

If you want to use USB stick or a SD Card (with a USB card reader), make sure they are formatted as FAT32...

If they work, you can install the Paragon NTFS apps from Google Play, so you can at least have access to the USB stick in read mode (no write mode as you need to have Root)...

Good luck.
Arobase40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc