Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
ppan76
ppan76 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
Exclamation What is wrong? Freezes when opening book.

I got the PRS500 a few days ago and I tried reading some books I downloaded from this website. But the e-reader always freezes after I select the book.

What could be causing this?

Sorry I deleted all the original contents when I first connected to my computer. I tried hard resetting, soft resetting, etc. All the books I tried can be read by the Sony Connect Software.

I download the "Son of Monte Cristo" from the Books upload section.

Did I get a piece of crap?
ppan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ppan76 have you tried a different book just to double check?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #3
ppan76

same thing happends to PDF

I tried a few PDFs from the web and the same thing happended. Can somebody post a sony book that's 100% proven to work?

Thanks
Old 08-12-2007, 03:37 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppan76 View Post

Hey that's OK, man. I spend hours creating these books, but you just go ahead and call them "pieces of crap" - that's fine. No need to be considerate for the feelings of those who spend all that time creating them, is there?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:05 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When my wife got her reader, I tried ABC AMBER LIT converter to conver a LIT into PDF & RTF. The PDF was not good as we all know. But, the RTF it generated humg the reader so the reset button had to be pressed. The way to fix it was to load the resulting RTF into Word and resave. Seems ABC's RTF routines leave a lot to be desired.
Advert
Old 08-12-2007, 08:14 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When my wife got her reader, I tried ABC AMBER LIT converter to conver a LIT into PDF & RTF. The PDF was not good as we all know. But, the RTF it generated humg the reader so the reset button had to be pressed. The way to fix it was to load the resulting RTF into Word and resave. Seems ABC's RTF routines leave a lot to be desired.
There were quite a few RTF files that the Reader wouldn't handle with the original firmware, but that's an area that the initial firmware update improved drastically. Must admit that I haven't come across one that the Reader won't handle since then!
Old 08-12-2007, 08:16 AM   #7
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hey that's OK, man. I spend hours creating these books, but you just go ahead and call them "pieces of crap" - that's fine. No need to be considerate for the feelings of those who spend all that time creating them, is there?
Isn't he talking about his Reader?
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:31 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Hmmm. I thought he was talking about the book. Sure sounded that way to me!
Old 08-12-2007, 08:34 AM   #9
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Maybe he did but I understood otherwise. But hey, I'm Dutch and no speeking Inglish very goot.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:02 AM   #10
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
Isn't he talking about his Reader?
I also took this as meaning the reader and not the content that he was putting on it.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:23 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Well if that was the meaning, I apologise to the original poster, but I certainly got the impression that he was saying that the books we've worked so hard to produce here were "pieces of crap". If that's not what he meant, that I happily stand corrected and apologise.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:17 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I tried a few PDFs from the web and the same thing happended. Can somebody post a sony book that's 100% proven to work?

Thanks
Democracy by Henry Adams works without a hitch. I've read about 1/2 of it so far.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11479
Old 08-13-2007, 06:49 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I got the PRS500 a few days ago and I tried reading some books I downloaded from this website. But the e-reader always freezes after I select the book.

What could be causing this?

Sorry I deleted all the original contents when I first connected to my computer. I tried hard resetting, soft resetting, etc. All the books I tried can be read by the Sony Connect Software.

I'm going to try to offer some helpful suggestions about the Reader and about Language.

Here's what I would do:

1.) When something doesn't work as planned on your Reader, there is a possibility (however slim), that rather than the software (the books that so many people who work so hard on these to assemble) may NOT be problem.

2) I would suggest - as a possibilitiy, mind you - that maybe (just maybe), something is not quite right with your Reader.

3) Connect your Reader to the Connect store to see if you have the current software version. Go to "Help" and find out.

4) Do a soft and/or hard reset on your Reader.

5) Make certain your battery is fully charged on your Reader.

6) If you have an SD card in your Reader (or other card), make certain that it is situated firmly in the Reader and working correctly. (Are your books on the Reader's memory or on the Card? ....if it's on the card and the card isn't working properly....?

And last:

7) Please remember: I would suggest to you that words have the potential to injure, the ability to hurt. How we use language in communication reveals a lot about who we are as individuals and how we percieive and interact in the world around us.

8) Yes, your Reader may not be working properly. That's a possibility. These things happen. However, if you're referring to your Reader as "a piece of crap," I would suggest that you not give up on Sony. As a last resort, give them a call get authorization to reurn it and get a new one. There are many testimonials here about the efficacy of this product as a real and viable way to read books.

9) Please let us know if these suggestions have been helpful. Perhaps other members here can offer further suggestions.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #14
ppan76

Quote:
No!!! I didn't mean your books.

I meant the sony reader. I am extremely disappointed and unsatisfied with the reader. I have been using PocketPCs to read books for over 7 years and I never had so much problems.

I soft/hard resetted the thing so many times.. and in fact I have a paper clip attached to the case as I have been using it so many times.

Last edited by ppan76; 08-17-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:34 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've been using my Reader quite a lot with books that I have either converted, or downloaded from MobileRead. And I've not had a problem reading any of them. The only time I've needed to reset the Reader is when I first tried ABC Amber RTF converter and converted something in LIT to RTF. The converter does one hell of a piss poor job at writing RTF. I fixed the RTF by loading it into word and resaving it. But it was just one hell of a mess. This was before I got to using Book Designer and the libprs500 suite.