Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Oooooh......poor things.....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #32
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Here is a good thread over at Hacker News about all things Xoom.

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2187000
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #33
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Here is a good thread over at Hacker News about all things Xoom.

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2187000
Yes, good thread. I think the point that really stood out was the comment that actually when you look at the hardware the $800 price was perhaps a little high, but not out the ball park, but in the mind of the consumer it was a complete own goal to offer no $500 entry level version to compete with the cheapest iPad.

(If I can mix sporting metaphors.)

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #34
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm just wanting a wi-fi only version...
Old 02-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #35
zorah
Enthusiast
zorah is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad; iPhone; Asus T91MT; Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'm just wanting a wi-fi only version...
$600 for WIFI only.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_824137.html
zorah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 06:05 AM   #36
kennyc

Thanks for that....keeping my eyes open. It may be the one, but I'm not going to pre-order...I'll wait and see the reviews and evaluations etc.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #37
zorah
Enthusiast

Agreed. I have a WIFI only iPad. I'm not going for the Xoom, but as a gadget interested person, I'm following it. BB's Sunday circular has the 3G version advertised for $799 with Verizon and a one month data plan commitment required to activate the WIFI on it. It's in store on 2/24 according to the ad. No word on who will carry the WIFI only. I'm a very happy iPad user enjoying no muss no fuss WIFI only options.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #38
zorah
Enthusiast

Apparently the $600 is not set in stone. Newer article. Sounds like it still will likely be around $600, but not official. Well, anyone wanting WIFI only it seems is going to have to wait. This article is apparently a justification of why the 3G price is $799.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_824473.html
Old 02-25-2011, 07:08 AM   #39
kennyc

Anyone got one? Released Yesterday...
Old 02-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #40
Lawcheehung
Junior Kindler
Lawcheehung began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
I think many people decided to pass on the Xoom because of its price and there are just so many other tablet options for 2011 coming real soon. iPad2, PlayBook, touchpad, plethora of honeycomb tablets. My suggestion is to wait a little longer .
Lawcheehung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #41
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawcheehung View Post
I think many people decided to pass on the Xoom because of its price and there are just so many other tablet options for 2011 coming real soon. iPad2, PlayBook, touchpad, plethora of honeycomb tablets. My suggestion is to wait a little longer .
Wait, wait, wait, wait ... .... for how long? That's like the woman who never marries someone waiting for the perfect man (there is not such thing, lol)

I think that if you like an electronic device, fulfill your current needs or you just like it, get it.

Yeah, something better will arrive in a few months or a year, but that will happen again and again. If we wait for ever, we will never get anything just because next one is better, more powerful, and thinner.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #42
Lawcheehung
Junior Kindler
Lawcheehung began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Wait, wait, wait, wait ... .... for how long? That's like the woman who never marries someone waiting for the perfect man (there is not such thing, lol)

I think that if you like an electronic device, fulfill your current needs or you just like it, get it.

Yeah, something better will arrive in a few months or a year, but that will happen again and again. If we wait for ever, we will never get anything just because next one is better, more powerful, and thinner.
Wait, wait, wait.

Honestly - it's a nice device just a little pricey. Was hoping for something closer to the $500 range.
Lawcheehung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #43
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I'm cautious about overpaying for stuff now. Paid $400 for an eink device (Sony 900) last January. A few months later a much better model (950) is available for $250.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:21 PM   #44
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Didn't I read somewhere that Xoom doesn't do Flash either? I think it's suppose to be coming but not in this released units.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:22 AM   #45
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
Didn't I read somewhere that Xoom doesn't do Flash either? I think it's suppose to be coming but not in this released units.
Yes, they are waiting for an upgrade to Flash 10.2. A lot of things went wrong with this launch, MicroSD still doesn't work either. I, too, advise you to wait about 2 months. Prices should be dropping and firmware upgrades coming. Early adopters will face some difficulties, remember this is totally new operating software.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote