Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #16
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
And still Samsung has sold about 1.5m Galaxy Tabs so far. Not so bad for a crippled unit.
thats worldwide here in the state's I wouldn't say it was a flop but this had the potential to be huge. Samsung went with the local carriers and their contracts and not offering a reasonable priced wifi only.

It's too bad, I like it alot, love the form factor of it.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #17
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
what annoyed me most about the Tab is the removal of the phone capabilities in Stateside models. I would have easily switched from my 3 year old dumb phone to the Tab with blue tooth devices for a phone and tablet combined. As soon as they dropped that for here it was off my list.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 11:10 PM   #18
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
Motorola hasn't come out and directly say that there will never be a wi-fi only version, but the initial production will be like that of the Samsung Galaxy Tab - carrier (Verizon) only. That's too bad. Although this has everything I desire in a "just for fun" tablet, I cannot justify having to pay for a data plan for both a Droid AND a tablet. Ugh!
I just bought one from Tmobile WITHOUT contract. ... I do have to pay about 40 but I can cancel anytime without penalty. If that happen, it can be used as wifi device only, without 3G access.

Also, don't go for ATT or Verizon (no, I don't work for Tmobile) but Tmobile one has the Bluetooth option unlocked and it's not bloated with crappy ATT or Verizon apps. Tmobile 3G data connection is unlimited, on Verizon and ATT you pay per Byte.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #19
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
if this post is true, i'll be staying away from all samsung devices.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=913045

had a galaxy tab btw for 28 days, but took it back after seeing CES.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:29 AM   #20
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I have no reason to believe it is NOT true.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #21
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
if this post is true, i'll be staying away from all samsung devices.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=913045

had a galaxy tab btw for 28 days, but took it back after seeing CES.
I would not buy a device for what it can give me in a future, but what it can give me now! I am not saying with this that I do not like Os updates but people should keep expectations clear when buying a computer / tablet instead of thinking in rooting or installing next version of Linux. If you had that in mind before putting your hand in your pocket, fine, otherwise think twice. Typical case is Nook Color. A locked system that people buy with the hope of rooting or finding someone who can provide the hack.

Right now, there is no other tablet with most recent Android version that can fit the bill. It is small, responsive, flash support and full Android Market. Will be the same in 2 or 3 months? maybe not, but that's part of the IT race, every 6 months or so something new comes out.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #22
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/21/m...ng-to-verizon/

rumor now, but $800 freaking dollars! I'd assume sans contract since the price is steep and the fact that they don't sell the galaxy tab with a contract.

I had already made up my mind to not get one after reading motorolas stance on the encrypted boot loaders and how all their devices will now have them.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #23
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
What is it with the no-Wifi versions of these tablets at initial release? People come down on Apple for giving people what they want.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #24
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
800 dollars? Lol, that Asus EP121 Windows 7 tablet looks better every day. Only drawback is the battery life which is reported at about 4 - 4 1/2 hours. You get a powerful computer with full Wacom capabilities for just 200 USD more. Looks like the early Honeycomb adopters will be taken for a ride, as usual.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:12 AM   #25
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post

I had already made up my mind to not get one after reading motorolas stance on the encrypted boot loaders and how all their devices will now have them.
FYI: Motorola has come out and clarified / backtracked / waffled on the boot loaders. (Verb depends on whom you believe.) They posted a statement on Facebook, tech blogs have reported. (I don't use Facebook, so have read the news only on tech blogs.)
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #26
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
Xoom vs iPad vs anyother Android tablet coming out

I keep reading about all the different Android tablets that are due for release... Currently, I like the looks of the ASUS Slide and the Motorola Xoom.... but I still drool over my Sister in Law's iPad.

Have anyone of you seen mention of how much internal memory the Xoom will have? 16 gig, 23 gig, 64 gig??

The Androids will have sd slots for memory expansion/storage which is important but then the iPad 2 is rumored to be coming with an sd slot, now.

When I travel, I usually stay in places that have free wifi and I have a wireless network at home and at work so I don't know how much use I would get out of the 3G network.

Verizon's 3G plans are something like 1 gig of data for $20/month or 5 gig of data for $35/month.

I admit to having a bad case of I WANT IT NOW - itis. But which one to get is the big question. I have an Android phone and love the apps for that but I see the market flooded with accessories for the iPad.... like the bluetooth keyboard portfolio available for the iPad from Brookstone.. keyboard and case all in one. I wonder if it would work with the Xoom or only with the iPad.

And for those of you who already have Android based tablets or even the iPad ones... is there an mIRC like program available??

I read mention of getting the Xoom without a data plan and just using the wifi and/or getting a TMobile account which is unlimited data... but what is the price of that access and will it be available for use with the Xoom or is the Xoom locked into the Verizon network only for 3G?

Shykat
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #27
madsquabbles
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
What is it with the no-Wifi versions of these tablets at initial release? People come down on Apple for giving people what they want.
no crap. i love android, but all these devices tied to contracts are deal breakers. not to mention the price being pretty steep already.

why can't they sell them at $200 + contract (still wouldn't get it as i have tethering)? my phone off contract is $550 - more than a galaxy tab off contract. the tablet costs $400 vs $200 for my phone on contract.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #28
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
MOTOROLA XOOM portal now live.

Starts with SuperBowl commercial.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #29
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I love it! Seems the tables have turned.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #30
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
MOTOROLA XOOM portal now live.

Starts with SuperBowl commercial.
Trouble is the whole site seems to be Flash-based. So iPad users won't find out about it...

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote