Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-02-2016, 07:48 PM   #166
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I like the Gap books, though it is a bit dark-- nearly all the main characters are bad people who do very bad things to one-another (rape, murder, etc.), so if you don't want to read that kind of stuff, then definitely avoid it.

Otherwise, it's well-written, the characters are complete, and the plot is far from predictable.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:49 PM   #167
OverHaze
Connoisseur
OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2
I'm getting stick to do death of reading variations on the "space US/Space UN vs the colonists" theme in contemporary Sci-fi. I want some cool aliens damn it! Wide vistas, unimaginable strangeness.
OverHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:00 PM   #168
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
I'm getting stick to do death of reading variations on the "space US/Space UN vs the colonists" theme in contemporary Sci-fi. I want some cool aliens damn it! Wide vistas, unimaginable strangeness.
Go back and read Niven.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #169
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
The Three-Body Problem / Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy by Cixin Liu is very good and has some very strange and in some cases completely mysterious aliens. These books are very different from normal military sci-fi or space opera, not particularly fast paced though if that makes a difference.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:43 PM   #170
OverHaze
Connoisseur
OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
The Three-Body Problem / Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy by Cixin Liu is very good and has some very strange and in some cases completely mysterious aliens. These books are very different from normal military sci-fi or space opera, not particularly fast paced though if that makes a difference.
Funny you should bring that up. I was already eyeballing the first book as my Christmas read. It has to be asked, does the book have any censorship issues? From the descriptions I've read it seems to tackle subjects that could cause difficulties in China.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:08 AM   #171
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
As someone mentioned, Larry Niven.

Also, C.J. Cherryh. The Chanur series are a favorite, though the Foreigner books are also excellent.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:18 AM   #172
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Funny you should bring that up. I was already eyeballing the first book as my Christmas read. It has to be asked, does the book have any censorship issues? From the descriptions I've read it seems to tackle subjects that could cause difficulties in China.
I can't say one way or another on whether or not it was censored. I can say that the final product is excellent whether the original was censored or not.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:05 AM   #173
OverHaze
Connoisseur

Is there any Lovecraftian Space Operas out there? Ancient unknowable terrors lurking in the darkness of space type thing. Off the top of my head I can't think of any.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:06 PM   #174
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Is there any Lovecraftian Space Operas out there? Ancient unknowable terrors lurking in the darkness of space type thing. Off the top of my head I can't think of any.
Vernor Vinge A Fire Upon the Deep is the only thing I can think of that comes close.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #175
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
Vernor Vinge A Fire Upon the Deep is the only thing I can think of that comes close.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #176
OverHaze
Connoisseur

Thinking about it Revelation Space sort of fits the bill. Though its more 40k than Lovecraft.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:29 AM   #177
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I just realized you mentioned it in your first post.

If you don't mind jumping genres to fantasy, I highly recommend Perdido Street Station by China Miéville. A completely different and new world without the swords and sorcery motif.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:31 PM   #178
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I just realized you mentioned it in your first post.

If you don't mind jumping genres to fantasy, I highly recommend Perdido Street Station by China Miéville. A completely different and new world without the swords and sorcery motif.
I've read Perdido Street Station. It's a bit odd and not for everyone. If you find yourself not liking it buy the time you reach 1/3rd in, just stop reading. It won't get better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #179
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've read Perdido Street Station. It's a bit odd and not for everyone. If you find yourself not liking it buy the time you reach 1/3rd in, just stop reading. It won't get better.
I've felt that way about all of Mieville's work.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:07 AM   #180
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I've felt that way about all of Mieville's work.
Curiously, I read his Bas-Lag series out of order. I began with The Scar (not realising it was second in a trilogy) and really enjoyed it. I then went back and read Perdido Street Station but was quite disappointed with it. Unperturbed, I moved on to The Iron Council and really disliked both it and his writing style.

Mind you, I did enjoy The City and The City - his writing seemed to be a bit more precise and less obfuscatory.

I have been wary of buying anything else by him, but am happy to consider recommendations.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote