Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-13-2015, 07:33 AM   #1
roz9
roz9 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How do you create a cover page?

I've imported my ebook into Sigil, including the cover image. Then, when I look at it using Kindle Previewer, there is no cover page. The only thing that appears before the text of the ebook itself is the cover image.

I would like a page incorporating my cover image, title and author name but I don't know how to generate this. I had a look in the user guide but I couldn't find an answer.

Sorry if this is an obvious question but this is the first time I've used Sigil!

Any help would be most appreciated!
roz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:00 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Hi Roz! Welcome to the Forum!

I'm not sure of the intricacies of the Kindle Previewer - it's been awhile since I used it. Hopefully someone else with more experience there can jump in. However setting up a "cover" and a "title" page I can help with.

If you go into the menu bar in Sigil and select "Tools/Add Cover" it will open a popup and allow you to select which image you'd like to use then click OK. That's it! Sigil will create a page (or update one if it is already there).

Creating a Title page is just like any other chapter in the book. Right click on a file in your "Book Browser" window and select "Add Blank HTML File". Then use HTML and CSS to style it however you want. Something along the lines of:

Code:
  <h1>Title</h1>

<p class="series">Series<br />
  Book Num</p>

<p class="auth">Author</p>

with CSS:
.auth, .series, .subtit {text-align:center; text-indent:0; margin:0; font-weight:bold; font-size:1.1em}
.subtit {margin:1em 2em; font-size:.8em}
.series {margin-bottom:1em}
.auth   {margin-top:1em; font-size:1.4em}
I keep the two pages separate from each other, but you mentioned you wanted them combined. You can do that by wrapping your image with SVG tags, but that is a more involved process. The easier method is to use your image editor of choice (photoshop, powerpoint, etc.) Add your Title and Author, then save that as a new image which you would use as the cover image as above.

I hope that helps some!

Last edited by Turtle91; 07-14-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:56 AM   #3
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roz9 View Post
I've imported my ebook into Sigil, including the cover image. Then, when I look at it using Kindle Previewer, there is no cover page. The only thing that appears before the text of the ebook itself is the cover image.

I would like a page incorporating my cover image, title and author name but I don't know how to generate this. I had a look in the user guide but I couldn't find an answer.
Well, the cover page by definition includes only the cover. The title and author name should be included in that image. Indeed, in theory Amazon requires this, though I have certainly seen covers (product images) on the Amazon store that don't have them.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #4
roz9
roz9 began at the beginning.

Thanks ever so much for your help! I've just created a title page in Powerpoint, uploaded it in Sigil and checked it in Kindle Previewier. Everything looks fine!

Thanks again!
roz9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author name, cover page, ebook covers, title