Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #16
Abull
Abull began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yes, every instance of ", fantasy" in the stylesheet, edited out, both inside and outside of Sigil and then the text still goes slanted.
Abull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #17
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
What fonts do you have set in Preferences?
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #18
Abull

The Sigil defaults, I presume - Arial,Times, and Arial for "Book View" and Arial again for "Special Characters".

Last edited by Abull; 04-03-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
Abull

If I save to epub in FR without font embedding, then the text is displayed in the stylesheet specified fonts without slanting in Sigil "Book View" even after I save a copy of the stylesheet. There is a difference in that without the fonts embedded in the epub, text that is designated as small-caps is being displayed in small-caps - that wasn't the case with the fonts embedded. (The small-caps are rendered in normal text with Calibre ebook-viewer.)
Attached Files
File Type: txt main.css.noembed.txt (889 Bytes, 129 views)
File Type: txt main.css.noembed-cleaned.txt (477 Bytes, 125 views)

Last edited by Abull; 04-03-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:35 AM   #20
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wouldn't worry too much about how your book displays in Sigil or Calibre - they are editing tools. How does it perform on a reader program or device? They all have quirks, but if you keep things simple you can write code that displays as intended on most, acceptably on the rest.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #21
Abull

There's no problem with embedded fonts if I substitute different ones in my original and embed them when saving to epub from FR. An epub with embedded fonts from GoogleBooks is problem free in Sigil too, even though it appears to have been created with FR. So I think it's something peculiar about those particular fonts that cause the odd behavior in Sigil "Book View", even though there's no problem in ADE or any other desktop reader with them.

I installed ADE 2.0 on another computer I don't normally use that had room for NETframework, and I found a download link for ADE 1.7 which uses flash and doesn't require NETframework be installed.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #22
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suppose an obsolete version of ADE is better than nothing! Are you running a very old/very small computer? This is beginning to sound like you want to work with eBooks but don't really have tools that are up to the job.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
I suppose an obsolete version of ADE is better than nothing! Are you running a very old/very small computer? This is beginning to sound like you want to work with eBooks but don't really have tools that are up to the job.
Well, what I'm not clear on is where the "slanting" is occurring; in Sigil and Calibre only? I've found neither very good indicators of what will really happen in an actual ePUB.

Vis-a-vis the smallcap comment: Unless there's a small-cap font variant embedded with it, many, many fonts will not work properly as small caps, and the CSS small-cap works almost never at all. And don't even get me started on ligatures, which are a total nightmare.

And in this instance, Wombat is right--using ADE 1.7 won't give you a reliable look at what ePUB readers will now display, you should be using ADE 2.0, or if you can't manage that, try Firefox's free ePUBreader. Or...hell, there are dozens of free e-readers out there that are actual ereaders, not tools like Calibre and Sigil that will help you see what your books will actually look like. If you're going to try to make ePUBs for any consumption other than your own, you'll definitely need the tools.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #24
Abull

The slanting only occurs in Sigil, not in Calibre. And only with those particular fonts.

I installed ADE 2.0 on a different PC than I normally like to work at and I'm not seeing a difference from 1.7 in how it displays any epub I've looked at so far. I've disabled the FF epub reader because I found it a nuisance when I only want to download an epub.

The font has a small cap variant embedded; Calibre's ebook viewer is the only thing that will display them. Simulated small caps work in all the viewers.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abull View Post

I installed ADE 2.0 on a different PC than I normally like to work at and I'm not seeing a difference from 1.7 in how it displays any epub I've looked at so far. I've disabled the FF epub reader because I found it a nuisance when I only want to download an epub.
+1
(and it was a very nice reader. but I tend to mostly download , View occasionally. Maybe the Author will make a preference 'View Only local files' )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #26
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
The slanting only occurs in Sigil, not in Calibre. And only with those particular fonts.

The font has a small cap variant embedded; Calibre's ebook viewer is the only thing that will display them. Simulated small caps work in all the viewers.
Yes, many smallcaps will work on the viewers. Most will not work on the actual reading devices.

Honestly, Mods, I think that this thread should be moved to ePUB or Workshop, as it contains a lot of questions and discussion on issues that are unrelated to Sigil itself, e.g., smallcaps, and how fonts should be embedded in stylesheets.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If an ePub has enough smallcaps, I embed Charis SIL along with the smallcap version and it looks good because the smallcaps are not simulated. I also use Calibre's font subsetting to make the ePub smaller. Looks nice and is not too big.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:51 AM   #28
Abull

With substitution of otf versions of the original embedded ttf fonts, I'm not having the problem of slanting in Sigil 0.7.1 "Book View".

Now that I have properly working fonts Sigil displays small caps where they're called for. Calibre ebook viewer will display the small caps, but it sometimes when small caps are only indicated for the first line of the first paragraph in a chapter, it uses them for the remainder of the paragraph and subsequent paragraphs. ADE 1.72 and 1.8 use the Roman font lowercase for small cap lowercase. Nook Desktop Reader uses its default font to render small caps as smallcaps, and Sony Desktop Reader does the same.

The odd thing is that when I embed a ttf small cap font with all the other embedded fonts being otf, Nook, Sony and ADE 1.7 & 2.0 use a default font instead of the embedded fonts for all of the text. If the small cap font is also an otf version, then all the embedded fonts are used where they're called for including the small caps.

Although I've not seen any differences in the display of epubs I've looked at with ADE 1.7 and 2.0, I do see that according to reports in this thread on font embedding, some embedded fonts fail to be displayed with ADE 1.72.
Quote:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=148412
ADE 1.7.2 is using RMSDK 9.1, ADE 1.8 and most of the Nook devices (but not the original) are using RMSDK 9.2 and above. Font rendering was changed drastically between 9.1 and 9.2 (its using a completely separate engine). So it would seem to make sense that this is failing on 9.1 but not on 9.2. You can force RMSDK 9.2 to use the old engine by adding in 'adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed;' which may help you with troubleshooting.
So do some readers still use ADE 1.72?

Epub reader for FireFox may display using embedded fonts at first, but renders with default font when scrolling back or forwards across chapters. I have read somewhere that FF epub reader won't display using embedded fonts unless thay are installed on the system, but this doesn't seem to be the case as I've tried viewing it on a PC where the embedded fonts are installed on the system and on one where they aren't installed and I see no difference in the behavior on the two different PCs.

Last edited by Abull; 04-20-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #29
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
So do some readers still use ADE 1.72?
Many devices do not / can not get (simple-user installable) updates, so they exist as is.
My PEz is on 2010 (mostly) firmware.

So this will probably also be true for those folk the 'Run them till they drop'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote