Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2021, 07:24 AM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's nothing to do with my way. It's the Kobo way. Kobo doesn't organize by directory.
Jon, what @rashkae objected to was that you made a dogmatic statement that there is only one way to do this. You state that there is only one way to do it. If you would only prefix your statements with "I believe..." or "I think the best way..." people would have a lot less problems with what you say.

Of courses, What I object to is the errors and irrelevances in your statement.

@olbeggaols: Go ahead and organise the books in the file structure in the best way you think. But, the Kobo software does not use this to organize books in the interface. Many people think that a fixed directory structure does not fit well with books. On the Kobo device, you have multiple filters, sort orders, the series and author list and collections (books can be in multiple collections but only one directory) as ways to view your books. Plus the search uses the title, author, series and subtitle when looking for books. Between these, you should be able to find whichever book it is you want to read.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:18 AM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
... Plus the search uses the title, author, series and subtitle when looking for books. Between these, you should be able to find whichever book it is you want to read.
What is subtitle? Is it synopsis?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2021, 01:01 PM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
What is subtitle? Is it synopsis?
Um, "subtitle" is exactly that. A subtitle. In the library list, the book will be shown as:

Code:
Title
Subtitle
Series
Author
Kobo populates if for some purchased books, though it tends to be some rewording of the series info. If you use calibre, the driver or my Kobo Utilities plugin can set it in the database.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:09 PM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Um, "subtitle" is exactly that. A subtitle. In the library list, the book will be shown as:

Code:
Title
Subtitle
Series
Author
Kobo populates if for some purchased books, though it tends to be some rewording of the series info. If you use calibre, the driver or my Kobo Utilities plugin can set it in the database.
Thanks. I don't purchase many Kobo books, so hadn't recalled seeing subtitle. Is "library" the new name for "My Books", I'm on firmware 4.12?
Old 05-02-2021, 06:37 PM   #20
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Code:
Title
Subtitle
Series
Author
And as far as subtitle and Calibre, could I get calibre to set the subtitle on the Kobo to the published date?
Advert
Old 05-02-2021, 06:53 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
And as far as subtitle and Calibre, could I get calibre to set the subtitle on the Kobo to the published date?
Yes you can as long as you have the published date in a custom column. You can setup the subtitle as that column.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:21 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes you can as long as you have the published date in a custom column. You can setup the subtitle as that column.
Please note however, that subtitle occupies the same line as series when displayed on your Kobo.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:47 PM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Please note however, that subtitle occupies the same line as series when displayed on your Kobo.
No it doesn't. You can have both. The subtitle is in the same font face as the title, but about half the size. Which is the same as the author. The series is the same size as these, but, using a san serif font. What does happens is that if there is no subtitle, longer titles will wrap to the second line.

@John F: I used "library list" because the same list is used for books everywhere in your library on the device. The same details, sorting etc. The only difference I can think of is that for a series, the sort has "Book number" instead of "Series". I could use "book list", but, there is a different book list in the store.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:54 PM   #24
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
What does happens is that if there is no subtitle, longer titles will wrap to the second line.
If there are subtitles but no series, long titles are also wrapped on the second line.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:38 AM   #25
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Code:
Title
Subtitle
Series
Author
I would like to give this a try. I am currently using Calibre 3.34 and don't see an option for it, so I assume I need to update Calibre? Can I get a recommendation for what version of Calibre to upgrade to that will have the subtitle feature. And could I get 2 recommendations please, one for pre 5.x Calibre and one for version 5.x. I'm not looking forward to updating python and the DRM tools and may try the Calibre 5.x version on a separate computer.

Thank you.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:57 AM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I would like to give this a try. I am currently using Calibre 3.34 and don't see an option for it, so I assume I need to update Calibre? Can I get a recommendation for what version of Calibre to upgrade to that will have the subtitle feature. And could I get 2 recommendations please, one for pre 5.x Calibre and one for version 5.x. I'm not looking forward to updating python and the DRM tools and may try the Calibre 5.x version on a separate computer.
I don't remember which was the first version of calibre to have this in it. But, it might actually be 3.35. But, if you don't want to, or can't run the latest, the usual recommendation is the last in each version number. So, 3.48 or 4.23.

But, being able to set the subtitle is in the Metadata Update function in my Kobo Utilities plugin. That should work with any calibre version and you can try it without doing anything else.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:14 AM   #27
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I would like to give this a try.
If you just want to try it out and see what it looks like, it's easier to use NickelSeries. Add subtitle manually to the epub/kepub metadata.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:40 AM   #28
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't remember which was the first version of calibre to have this in it. But, it might actually be 3.35. But, if you don't want to, or can't run the latest, the usual recommendation is the last in each version number. So, 3.48 or 4.23.

But, being able to set the subtitle is in the Metadata Update function in my Kobo Utilities plugin. That should work with any calibre version and you can try it without doing anything else.
I just tried this, and it worked. So I'll put off updating Calibre.

Thank you again Davidfor.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:42 AM   #29
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
If you just want to try it out and see what it looks like, it's easier to use NickelSeries. Add subtitle manually to the epub/kepub metadata.
I'm going to look into this. I'm hoping even though I'm a ways back on my Kobo firmware that I can still use NickelSeries.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:48 AM   #30
olbeggaols
Enthusiast
olbeggaols has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olbeggaols has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olbeggaols has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olbeggaols has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Max Lumi/Kobo Forma/Kindle Paperwhite
Hello Meeera and JS Wolf,

Sorry for the delay in response, I didn't get notice. Thanks to both of you:

I will familiarize myself with the system before messing with it.

I need a file structure because the source library I am thinking of putting into e-books is vast and complex and without the structure which I am familiar with, it will be difficult to find things. On this I may opt to just upload books one at a time and delete them from the Kobo; keep the file structure on my PC.
olbeggaols is offline   Reply With Quote