Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-14-2021, 01:40 PM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Latest paperwhite's screen vs. voyage's screen

For those who have had both the latest paperwhite, whatever generation that is, and the voyage, is the PW's screen now as good as the voyage's? I think the answer used to be "not quite" because the voyage's lighting is more even and the screen is just a little bit clearer. The text feels closer to the screen somehow. But maybe that has changed?

(I know that even the first gen oasis's screen wasn't quite as good as the voyage's and had a more noticeable gradient because it was horizontal and your eyes scan left to right as you read. The newer oasis is better? At any rate, I don't think the form factor is quite good for me -- I don't have normal hands -- so it's probably out)
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:44 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Really? You do know they Dont Make Voyage any more? So that should tell you something since They Do Make PW Still!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2021, 02:46 PM   #3
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8'', Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
For those who have had both the latest paperwhite, whatever generation that is, and the voyage, is the PW's screen now as good as the voyage's? I think the answer used to be "not quite" because the voyage's lighting is more even and the screen is just a little bit clearer. The text feels closer to the screen somehow. But maybe that has changed?

(I know that even the first gen oasis's screen wasn't quite as good as the voyage's and had a more noticeable gradient because it was horizontal and your eyes scan left to right as you read. The newer oasis is better? At any rate, I don't think the form factor is quite good for me -- I don't have normal hands -- so it's probably out)
I don't have a Paperwhite, but I've heard its screen doesn't even come close to a Voyage's. Certainly even the screen of the latest Oasis is not as good as the screen of the Voyage was. (And the screens of the latest Nook and the Kobo Libra aren't quite on the Voyage level either). Still, I sold my Voyage, because I prefer the larger screen and the form factor of the Oasis and the Libra. But yeah, no ereader screen I've ever seen has been as good as the Voyage.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:55 PM   #4
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
The Voyage's screen is glass and the PW's screen is some kind of plastic. Voyage's text has more contrast. Voyage still wins hands down unless you need the specific features of the PW.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:57 PM   #5
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Really? You do know they Dont Make Voyage any more? So that should tell you something since They Do Make PW Still!
I hear jealousy! It was a stupid marketing move on the part of Amazon - Voyage was competing too well against Oasis so they had to ditch it.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2021, 03:29 PM   #6
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Amazon doesn't make them any more but you can still find them on eBay etc, used or even new. Also the Voyage still gets the latest firmware update

I'm asking specifically about screen quality because I'm considering buying a used Voyage vs a new pw
Old 04-14-2021, 03:51 PM   #7
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Amazon doesn't make them any more but you can still find them on eBay etc, used or even new. Also the Voyage still gets the latest firmware update

I'm asking specifically about screen quality because I'm considering buying a used Voyage vs a new pw
If the screen is important, absolutely buy a Voyage.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:01 PM   #8
Josieb1
Wizard
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis2, LibraH20, Voyage, ClaraHD, PW4,
Quote:

No it’s not. The Voyage screen is still the best screen Amazon has ever put on an e-reader. We have two Voyages, an Oasis 2 and a PW4, the Voyage screens are far superior.

Last edited by Josieb1; 04-14-2021 at 04:04 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:03 PM   #9
Josieb1
Wizard
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis2, LibraH20, Voyage, ClaraHD, PW4,
Quote:
The make the paperwhite as it’s a cheap kindle. I have no idea why they didn’t continue with the Voyage line but the Paperwhite is not an adequate replacement,
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:09 PM   #10
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad mini
Voyage has clearer display but is missing other things (more storage, waterproof, dark mode, Bluetooth audio, Audible support). I have never had one but Oasis should have similar clarity and also has the adjustable ‘warm’ light, in addition to the other ‘missing things’.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:26 PM   #11
Sirtel
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I have never had one but Oasis should have similar clarity and also has the adjustable ‘warm’ light, in addition to the other ‘missing things’.
Nope. The screen of the Oasis is not as good as the Voyage screen. The light is more even and yes, the warm light feature is very nice to have, but the Voyage had better contrast, darker and sharper text and whiter background.

Personally I prefer the Oasis, but for pure screen quality the Voyage is unbeatable.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:03 PM   #12
Barty
doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Nope. The screen of the Oasis is not as good as the Voyage screen. The light is more even and yes, the warm light feature is very nice to have, but the Voyage had better contrast, darker and sharper text and whiter background.

Personally I prefer the Oasis, but for pure screen quality the Voyage is unbeatable.
Okay, thanks. The darker text and higher contrast is more important to me than the warm light. I don't think my voyage is too blue or cool, but I need maximum contrast that can be wrung from eink.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:35 PM   #13
Sirtel
Wizard

Quote:
Okay, thanks. The darker text and higher contrast is more important to me than the warm light. I don't think my voyage is too blue or cool, but I need maximum contrast that can be wrung from eink.
Yeah. For me the Voyage was ergonomically poor, I didn't find it comfortable to hold even with a cover, much less without. I much preferred the irregular shape like the Oasis and newer Kobos have. Still, I was reluctant to sell my Voyage, the screen was so beautiful, and occasionally I still read with it. Until I switched to the Oasis in the middle of a book, because it was much more comfortable for me to hold. And the contrast was good enough for me with custom fonts. Then I sold the Voyage, no point in having it just gather dust on the shelf.

OTOH, many people dislike the shape of the Oasis/Forma/Libra and prefer the regular form. One man's bread and so on.

Last edited by Sirtel; 04-14-2021 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:57 PM   #14
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
Like the voyage screen so much I bought a second one for "just in case". Somethng I rarley do.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:11 PM   #15
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyd View Post
Like the voyage screen so much I bought a second one for "just in case". Somethng I rarley do.
I did this too. Then I gave the spare one to my sister. Then the Voyage I kept bricked itself during an update, and since I have resigned myself to liking my PW4 enough to use it a lot, and enjoying infinitely greater contrast and clarity on my iPad mini, which I use just as much. Seems everything involves some trade off or other.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote