Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-03-2021, 02:19 PM   #166
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Oh, sure, disagree with me. See if I snark with you again, pal!
This too shall pass.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:21 PM   #167
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Spielberg is currently doing a remake of West Side Story. Will it be any good? Who knows? Spielberg is a talented man.
There’s some obvious opportunity off the top to cast actors who can do their own singing and fit the ethnicity of the characters and also to do a grittier take on it, as the original WSS film was sanitized to meet the moral code still operating in Hollywood.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2021, 03:46 PM   #168
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
There’s some obvious opportunity off the top to cast actors who can do their own singing and fit the ethnicity of the characters and also to do a grittier take on it, as the original WSS film was sanitized to meet the moral code still operating in Hollywood.
Hmmm... from what I've seen, the Sharks will be Latinx (Puerto Rican by preference) while the Jets will be no longer be white but have mixed ethnicity à la Van Hove's 2020 Broadway remake.

As one reviewer commented considering how often WSS has been performed in high schools, community theatre, etc., if you haven't seen WSS, it's because you were in it.

Personally, I think they should have reverted to the original East Side Story version with Jews and Catholics battling it out in the streets.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:58 PM   #169
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2, Paperwhite 2019
It's been years since I last saw WSS, but I always thought Natalie Wood was dreadful in that role. She was beautiful, but I never thought she was a good actress.

Speaking of remakes...I'd like to see The Good Earth remade as a mini series, with actual Asian actors, and the characters made to follow the book. Especially the uncle, who was laughable in the 1937 version.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:15 PM   #170
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I think that believing that RoboCop could be remade wasn't a stupid idea either.
I think improving on the first RoboCop would be a tall order, e.g.

The cop Taurii scraping bottom entering and leaving driveways

The Kafkaesqe scene where the ED-209 kills the junior executive for not dropping the pistol that in fact had been dropped

The following restroom scene where the OCP Vice President complained that the customer was being unreasonably picky about a prototype having a little malfunction.

The background newscast stating that a former US President had been killed by a malfunctioning defense satellite.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2021, 07:39 PM   #171
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I think improving on the first RoboCop would be a tall order, e.g.

The cop Taurii scraping bottom entering and leaving driveways

The Kafkaesqe scene where the ED-209 kills the junior executive for not dropping the pistol that in fact had been dropped

The following restroom scene where the OCP Vice President complained that the customer was being unreasonably picky about a prototype having a little malfunction.

The background newscast stating that a former US President had been killed by a malfunctioning defense satellite.
Oh, yes, I agree absolutely that as it was, for what it was intended to be, Robocop was great--as high camp. As it happens, I just watched Robocop (87), within...hmmm...the last two weeks. I think it was one of our mid-afternoon matinees, at the house, on a rare day off and I was reminded of Verhoeven's wicked, wicked sense of humor, along with Edward Neumeir (also the pen behind Starship Troopers, which is hilarious) and Mike Miner, who apparently dined out on Robocop, and still does. (Hey, if it pays....)

It has classic lines, scenes and throwaways: the various advertisements and the newscasts; "I'd buy that for a dollar," or "Can you fly, Bobby?" Boddicker. "Dead or Alive, you're coming with me." (LOL).

It has a lot of setup and payoff. Even down to the OCP exec being killed, both in the beginning and the end. Symmetry.

What I was thinking about, mostly, though, was that if someone wanted to do Robocop as a serious movie, darker/grittier, it could have worked. I mean, no reason it couldn't have, but the remake that was made, even though I really like that Swedish actor, didn't work at all. Not sure why. I've only seen it once and I can't bring up anything about it in my noggin. Whereas, as I said, I do think that the Dredd movie, the new one, worked fairly well.

Maybe somebody here remembers the Robocop remake better than I do. I know that it's virtually (ha) disappeared, can't even find it on streaming anywhere. I'm sure the usual suspects have it for some silly fee, but...I mean, in the usual course of things.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:45 PM   #172
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Spielberg is finished. His BFG movie was terrible.
We'll have to agree to disagree here. I really enjoyed The BFG. And the two movies he did before BFG were Lincoln and Bridge of Spies. He followed it up with The Post. Spielberg's doing okay.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:55 PM   #173
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
No comments on 300?
I hated 300. Technically impressive again, but...

I can't dump on 300 too much though. A few months before it was released I had read Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire and it's likely not a fair comparison. And I haven't read the Frank Miller series the movie is based on, so I can't say how it worked as an adaptation.

Give me Sin City over 300 though.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:26 PM   #174
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Spielberg is finished. His BFG movie was terrible. He will go down in history as one of the greats, but he no longer knows how to put together good scenes like he did in Saving Private Ryan, and Schindler's List.
Oh, c'mon Luffy....are you saying that a director can't have one lousy movie? In what reality? Every director in the universe has at least one crap movie, if not more. Personally, I hated his War of the Worlds remake a LOT more. (I thought if I had to hear that kid scream one. more. time. I'd stand up and shoot the screen--or gouge my own ears out. Anything to make it stop.)

Even Hitchcock had failures. And look, Hollyweird is still giving whats-is-name money--M. Night Shymalan (sp?) and sweet Moses, that guy has had failure after failure.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:52 AM   #175
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Oh, c'mon Luffy....are you saying that a director can't have one lousy movie? In what reality? Every director in the universe has at least one crap movie, if not more. Personally, I hated his War of the Worlds remake a LOT more. (I thought if I had to hear that kid scream one. more. time. I'd stand up and shoot the screen--or gouge my own ears out. Anything to make it stop.)

Even Hitchcock had failures. And look, Hollyweird is still giving whats-is-name money--M. Night Shymalan (sp?) and sweet Moses, that guy has had failure after failure.

Hitch
IMHO, his last good to great film was Munich. I watched all of his successive films apart from War Horse. I tried to watch Lincoln but DNFed it. Films that he should have aced, E.g. Tintin, were woefully written and were directed without the exceptional vision that characterised his meteoric rise in the mid 70's. Saying Spielberg is as good as ever is like saying Paul McCartney is as good as his Beatles days. Though all of this is mostly my personal opinion, of course.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:58 AM   #176
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I hated 300. Technically impressive again, but...

I can't dump on 300 too much though. A few months before it was released I had read Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire and it's likely not a fair comparison. And I haven't read the Frank Miller series the movie is based on, so I can't say how it worked as an adaptation.

Give me Sin City over 300 though.
Actually, I was expecting Hitch to comment on the male eye candy.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:53 AM   #177
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Oh, I knew what you were going for. I was just being a pain
Old 05-04-2021, 10:13 AM   #178
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Movies like 300 and the HBO series Spartacus make me a lot more sympathetic to complaints about gratuitous T&A. I actually liked both (well, the first season of Spartacus, the second season was terrible), in part because ancient Greek and Roman history is one of my hobbies(not that either are very accurate from a historical basis), but nudity and guys in loin clothes was a bit over the top. I'm sure others enjoy it, though.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:53 AM   #179
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

(Although, I see the attraction of KPop for younger folks.)

I'm also sitting here envisioning a remake with a 65-y.o.-plus Crockett and Tubbs, trying to hoist their arthritic, chubby asses out of a hot car...dyin' here...

Hitch
With their nurses and walkers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:57 AM   #180
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Uh, they did remake Miami Vice:

It was done by Michael Mann, who created the original show. I love Michael Mann as a director and both leads are very talented. But I wasn't crazy about the movie and partly I think it's because the episode it was based on (Smuggler's Blues) also isn't one of my favorites.
CHiPs was remade as a movie and it was terrible.

The Fantasy Island movie is also terrible. It was made into a horror movie.

One movie that may be terrible (I've not seen) is the Banana Splits movie. It was made into some sort of slasher movie.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote