Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-05-2021, 07:31 PM   #31
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
That's gotta be awkward to use considering the Nexus 6 was too big.
Not sure whom such a sized device would appeal to. Too big to comfortably fit into most pockets and thus not the most practical phone. Too small to replace a tablet or larger ereading device for those times when one needs greater screen real estate such as when reading a PDF.

I actually would have been happier if they had produced a device smaller than the A5. Just as well they didn't, otherwise I might have been tempted to part with more money.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:27 PM   #32
binaryhermit
Wizard
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen, so-called "All-New Kindle" (AKA 10th gen)
Then again, I have put a 6 inch e-reader into a pants pocket.

And it does seem that phone manufacturers think bigger is better
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2021, 05:15 AM   #33
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 5, Likebook 4, Tolino 7
Quote:
Man, the Hisense A7 is bigger than the Nexus 6 albeit thinner than the Nexus 6 is at its thinnest point... That's gotta be awkward to use considering the Nexus 6 was too big.
On the one hand it is much too big and too heavy for me:
- for my smartphone applications - mainly phone calls, mobile hotspot, GPS - I use a 100g smartphone with a 3 inch screen, which I can comfortably have with me in my shirt pocket.

On the other hand too small:
- I prefer devices from 8 inches (4: 3 - 8: 5).

I only take my Boox Poke 3 with me when I want to read on the go.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:35 AM   #34
epaper
epaper began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
Do you mean the size? The A7 is supposed to have a higher resolution screen with 300 ppi instead of the 273 (?) ppi of the A5. I don't know if this translates into a big difference in practice, though. I'll have to compare the A5, when it arrives, to my 300 ppi e-readers - hopefully it's not too much of a downgrade in resolution (on the other hand the popular Note Air has even lower ppi).

I find it amusing that in some of these videos, when the presenter holds up the phone it's almost bigger than the size of their head! It just seems massive.

Still hoping it becomes a huge hit to increase the chances of a global release. Maybe they are waiting for the colour version to be released first. But as for now it looks like there won't be anything other than a Chinese version.
900+ reviews in a week. I think thats huge enough. especially for an eink device. Cmon Hisense, go global.
epaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:25 PM   #35
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Then again, I have put a 6 inch e-reader into a pants pocket.
But was it comfortable? Was it convenient?

I, too, have been able to do the same because I tend to wear rather baggy clothes. However, even then, there are times when it can be a bit of a stretch, making it awkward to retrieve or put away the reader. In such instances, a smaller device is both more convenient and comfortable.

When I know that I'll be needing a device with more screen real estate, I usually carry around a shoulder bag or knapsack. And if I'm going to do that, then chances are I'll want to carry around something even larger than 6 inches in size.

But I'm not everyone, and I suppose there must be a market for such sized devices. I just hope that they don't forget that there is also a market for smaller sized devices as well.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2021, 09:55 PM   #36
epaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
But was it comfortable? Was it convenient?

I, too, have been able to do the same because I tend to wear rather baggy clothes. However, even then, there are times when it can be a bit of a stretch, making it awkward to retrieve or put away the reader. In such instances, a smaller device is both more convenient and comfortable.

When I know that I'll be needing a device with more screen real estate, I usually carry around a shoulder bag or knapsack. And if I'm going to do that, then chances are I'll want to carry around something even larger than 6 inches in size.

But I'm not everyone, and I suppose there must be a market for such sized devices. I just hope that they don't forget that there is also a market for smaller sized devices as well.
the a7 will be easier to put in one's pocket than a 6inch ereader because it has a slimmer body. the A7 is about the same length as the kindle paperwhite but with a smaller width
Old 01-06-2021, 10:03 PM   #37
epaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
No news yet about a global release, which is a bit of a letdown. I'm still hoping for one. but not holding my breath.

In the meantime, here's a video in Chinese where a guy compares the A5 to the A7. You can clearly see the difference in size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmPzxgJAtiU
I know. I was so excited for the a7cc because of the global release rumor.
thanks for the link. Looking at the specs (A5 vs A5pro vs A7) I think the A5 pro would be the best. its an upgraded version of the A5 without a huge price increase. 6gb ram with 128gb storage, plus android 10- this would make it relevant for at least 510 years if you dont mind the b/w screen. for me personally i really want the a7cc- mainly because the screen looks to be clearer than the a5cc

Last edited by epaper; 01-06-2021 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:43 AM   #38
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by epaper View Post
I know. I was so excited for the a7cc because of the global release rumor.
thanks for the link. Looking at the specs (A5 vs A5pro vs A7) I think the A5 pro would be the best. its an upgraded version of the A5 without a huge price increase. 6gb ram with 128gb storage, plus android 10- this would make it relevant for at least 510 years if you dont mind the b/w screen. for me personally i really want the a7cc- mainly because the screen looks to be clearer than the a5cc
I am curious to know, what do you need all that storage for?
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:43 AM   #39
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 5, Likebook 4, Tolino 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by norweger View Post
The storage can become scarce, for example, with Kiwix Wikipedia (40 GB) and several Comix (cbr, cbz), each of mine has an average of 200 MB
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:27 AM   #40
kandwo
Connoisseur
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I intend to use it as my main phone, so music, podcasts, offline wiktionary, etc. My current phone has 64GB, which is too little. The more, the better, really. I don't know whether reading comics would be feasible at all on such a small screen, but they also take up quite a bit of space.

Why wouldn't you want more space?
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:30 AM   #41
epaper

Quote:
i plan to use it (a7cc or a5cc) as my main phone. so I'll be installing quite a few apps, take a lot of photos (and if possible) watch movies and anime on it.
And also music. I have a huge collection and the internet is not so fast here so I tend to download/store my content instead of streaming it.
Still I think I'll be using less than half of that though :-D but its nice to have a lot to spare.
Old 04-06-2021, 01:10 PM   #42
layt
layt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 8th Gen (5.13.3 jailbroken)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Exactly so.

Checking a few paperbacks and hardbacks I have to hand, the text blocks inside the books are:

15cm x 8.5cm = 15.9:9
17cm x 9.8cm = 15.6:9
16.5cm x 9.6cm = 15.5:9
15.7 x 8.8cm = 16:9

So a 16:9 screen seems t match the text block aspect ratio of traditionally published books much more than the 4:3 of most ebook readers.
However, 'text block' size/format ratio is not the same as 'page' size/format ratio because you are discounting the left and right margins.

I believe the white space of the margins has an effect on the reading experience, making the process of moving the eyes' focus from one line to the next (or scanning through a paragraph or page while searching for a particular word or phrase) easier, as there is more 'space' for the eyes to roam and get their bearings without the distraction of the vertical (most often dark) border created by the screen bezel being jammed in right up against the edge of the text.

This would not necessarily be a conscious distraction, but there nevertheless.

The (deep-) reading experience involves a complex but much-studied and now quite well understood eye-brain process which is demonstrably sensitive to, and affected by changes in the delivery of the text - e.g. screen (transmitted light) vs paper (reflected light) or the absence/presence of serifs.

The easier it is for the eye-brain to 'see' the text, the greater the ease of reading and also the greater the comprehension of the subject matter. This has been proven time and time again in controlled studies of how much readers retain, and how well they understand what they have just read after reading from a screen vs reading from a book or printed page. The presence of serifs is also proven to ease and therefore aid the process of deep reading.

I have not seen any studies on reading from e-readers (e-ink) but I suspect the ease of deep reading and effect on ability to concentrate etc. lies somewhere between screen and traditional paper. E-ink is certainly less tiring on the eyes - I think that much is generally agreed upon here.
layt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:02 PM   #43
armanleftarm
armanleftarm began at the beginning.

Device: KPW1
It's been two weeks and I'm loving my A7 CC tbh, but wish I could get notifications from native and cloned apps. I don't get any from either. The only certain way to reach me now is by phone, and I'm being shown some SMS's don't come through.

Last edited by armanleftarm; 04-08-2021 at 03:04 PM.
armanleftarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:30 PM   #44
armanleftarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by armanleftarm View Post
It's been two weeks and I'm loving my A7 CC tbh, but wish I could get notifications from native and cloned apps. I don't get any from either. The only certain way to reach me now is by phone, and I'm being shown some SMS's don't come through.
This fixes the SMS problem I was having: https://old.reddit.com/r/eink/commen...g_sms/gskhdj6/
Old 04-12-2021, 09:58 AM   #45
armanleftarm

Desparately need notification services working on this phone. Anybody?