Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2021, 08:08 AM   #496
criscros
criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Clara
Here are a few settings I really like.

This is great, saves wear and tear on the usb connection when I'm trying out tweaks - turns on and off.

Code:
menu_item :main :USB Connect :nickel_misc :force_usb_connection
I iike these because it's sometimes easier than pushing the button.

Code:
menu_item :main :Sleep :power :sleep
menu_item :main :Reboot :power :reboot
menu_item :main :Shutdown :power :shutdown
I also put sleep in the book menu for quick access.

Code:
menu_item :reader :Sleep :power :sleep
And to change the icon name:

Code:
experimental:menu_main_15505_label: whateveryouwanthere
And if you want to change the icon:
Code:
experimental :menu_main_15505_icon: /mnt/onboard/.adds/nm/icon/youricon.png
I have so many little tweaks I've picked up in the oddest places, it would be nice to have a 'newbie' thread to share them.
criscros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:12 PM   #497
DJDarren
DJDarren began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I second the idea of a Newbie thread. I’ve not yet had my Kobo a week, so I don’t know what I do and do not want it to do, but if I could see a list of tweaks I might realise what I’m missing.
DJDarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2021, 03:20 PM   #498
-stepan-
-stepan- began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini, Pocketbook 360, Pocketbook 515
Sorry, couldn't find it in this topic. When i I turn off Kobo Mini (last FW and NM - 4.26...) with NickelMenu, then at display i see the frame with the inscription "Shutting Down..." remains on the screen saver. It's ok? This at 2 my Mini device. can i remove this from my screensaver?

P.S. Sometimes when sending the device to sleep, the screen saver (book cover) first appears with the old screen prints (text, menu items), and then after 20 seconds or even a minute, the e-ink is already updated. When sending to sleep through the button, I did not seem to notice this. All this time the device is doing something, working?
-stepan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:21 PM   #499
BaronMoe
BaronMoe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
How do I add invert/dark mode to nicklemenu?
BaronMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:44 PM   #500
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronMoe View Post
How do I add invert/dark mode to nicklemenu?
This line inverts the screen when reading an eBook.

Code:
menu_item :reader  :Invert Screen       :nickel_setting :toggle :invert
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2021, 07:52 AM   #501
BaronMoe
BaronMoe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This line inverts the screen when reading an eBook.

Code:
menu_item :reader  :Invert Screen       :nickel_setting :toggle :invert
Thanks!
BaronMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:17 AM   #502
extrarice
extrarice began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by -stepan- View Post
Sorry, couldn't find it in this topic. When i I turn off Kobo Mini (last FW and NM - 4.26...) with NickelMenu, then at display i see the frame with the inscription "Shutting Down..." remains on the screen saver. It's ok? This at 2 my Mini device. can i remove this from my screensaver?
I have a Kobo Clara and I run into the same problem. I just installed NickelMenu today and a Google search led me to this comment It looks like this on my device. Hoping someone knows how to turn the message off (and I'm very sorry if this has been answered before but I missed it).
extrarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 01:13 PM   #503
Mansoul
Mansoul is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mansoul is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mansoul is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mansoul is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mansoul is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mansoul is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mansoul is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mansoul is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mansoul is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mansoul is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mansoul is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
I'm launching the browser:

Code:
menu_item :main :Browser :nickel_browser :
Which works but then I don't see a way of quitting the browser and getting back to the main menu, there's no X in the top right of the screen.

Edit: silly me, added modal

Last edited by Mansoul; 05-24-2021 at 01:20 PM.
Mansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:44 AM   #504
DevonHess
Can't actually read
DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDarren View Post
I second the idea of a Newbie thread. I’ve not yet had my Kobo a week, so I don’t know what I do and do not want it to do, but if I could see a list of tweaks I might realise what I’m missing.
I would recommend using your Kobo a little more before modifying it. That will give you a better understanding of what you like and dislike about the device.

I'm not against someone creating a more accessable guide to Kobo tweaking, especially an up to date list of tweaks. However, I think there's probably a reason there aren't a lot of in depth guides.

Most tweaks, like NickelMenu, have pretty good documentation already. If new users aren't savvy enough to follow them, or are just too lazy to, then they probably have no business modifying their device.

A lot of users here are happy to help troubleshoot, but aren't interested in handholding.
DevonHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:01 PM   #505
WormGod
WormGod began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Do you mean something like nickel_setting:toggle_refresh:<num_pages> which would toggle [Reading].numPartialUpdatePageTurns between 4294967295 and num_pages?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@geek1011: A simple setter sounds good, yeah. Can easily be scripted as a toggle since the value is readable in the config.

But if you really want to make it a toggle in NM, allow setting both "sides" of the toggle directly (with, err, perhaps something more human-readable than the underflowed -1 ;p).
Was it ever determined if this were feasible?

Also, is there a way to force a screen refresh?

Thanks!
WormGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:07 PM   #506
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
Was it ever determined if this were feasible?

Also, is there a way to force a screen refresh?

Thanks!
A tap at the bottom of the screen to bring up the menu and another tap to dismiss the menu will refresh the screen.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:03 PM   #507
WormGod
WormGod began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A tap at the bottom of the screen to bring up the menu and another tap to dismiss the menu will refresh the screen.
Ah yes. I observed that some menu actions caused the refresh, but I did not make the connection that they *all* did. Thanks!
WormGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:53 AM   #508
vietchovui
Connoisseur
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1, Kobo Forma 8G, Kobo Libra H2O
Can the items in menu be configured by modifying the doc file? I don't know how to do it. I see there are many menu items in the screenshots in post #1, but they are missing in my device (i.e. reboot, USB connection, screenshot, web browser...). Could you explain how to make it appear in details?
vietchovui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:15 PM   #509
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by vietchovui View Post
Can the items in menu be configured by modifying the doc file? I don't know how to do it. I see there are many menu items in the screenshots in post #1, but they are missing in my device (i.e. reboot, USB connection, screenshot, web browser...). Could you explain how to make it appear in details?
Please take a look at the doc file installed as part of the NickelMenu install. It has the documentation and sample actions all in one package. You will notice many of the lines in that file start with a #. That makes those lines a comment. For example:

Code:
#   menu_item :library :Import books       :nickel_misc        :rescan_books_full
#   menu_item :browser :Invert Screen      :nickel_setting     :toggle :invert
To enable the Import books item in the library view, simply remove the # from that start of that line. To enable the toggle invert screen in the browser, remove the # from the start of that line.

What I started with was a copy of the doc file, call it myconfig, since the doc file can and will be overwritten by a NickelMenu update. That file is where I added and removed items to personalize NickelMenu for the actions I wanted and the locations I wanted them in. If you look through the posts in this thread, you can find quite a few actions that are copy/pastable into your config file.

And just a a friendly reminder, double posting is frowned upon. Either post in this thread or in the How to install NickelMenu on a Kobo in 2021 thread but not virtually identical messages in both.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:47 PM   #510
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The How to install NickelMenu in 2021 thread is rubbish. Do not follow the directions there.

Tags
kobo, launcher, ldpreload, nickel