Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-04-2021, 04:12 AM   #946
SirBeardAlot
Member
SirBeardAlot began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 17
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2019
Device: Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
try

John Madsen, wordcount=42,182
Attachment 186921

Christian Casey, wordcount= 37,777
Attachment 186922
Thank you very much! I will test them!
SirBeardAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:36 AM   #947
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
anacreon's Avatar
 
Posts: 824
Karma: 954342
Join Date: May 2012
Location: France
Device: Clara, Forma, Libra
U / V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
try

John Madsen, wordcount=42,182
Attachment 186921

Christian Casey, wordcount= 37,777
Attachment 186922
Thank you very much.
From what little I've checked, both have practically the same definitions. And like my Gaffiot 2016 Latin-French dictionary (unfortunately a big PDF, not one which I can call up from the book, or read from the Libra - I have to use the Forma), they distinguish Us and Vs, so do not recognize "uersibus" for instance.
And I am annoyed with my few latin books, which substitute most Vs with Us, while when they annex a vocabulary, they use Vs like the dictionaries do.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2021, 06:23 AM   #948
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 650
Karma: 221101
Join Date: Jun 2016
Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
And like my Gaffiot 2016 Latin-French dictionary (unfortunately a big PDF, not one which I can call up from the book, or read from the Libra - I have to use the Forma)
uncomfortable

try
dicthtml-la-fr.zip
Dictionnaire Latin-Français par Félix Gaffiot (Lat-Fra)
wordcount=68,584
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:12 AM   #949
Owl_
Addict
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 316
Karma: 3860889
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Italy
Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Dictionaries' list

AlPe, I think the dictionaries' list at the first page is now updatable
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:48 AM   #950
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
anacreon's Avatar
 
Posts: 824
Karma: 954342
Join Date: May 2012
Location: France
Device: Clara, Forma, Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
uncomfortable

try
Attachment 186942
Dictionnaire Latin-Français par Félix Gaffiot (Lat-Fra)
wordcount=68,584
Thank you very much!
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2021, 04:04 AM   #951
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Cootey's Avatar
 
Posts: 491
Karma: 2947688
Join Date: Apr 2017
Device: 2 Clara HDs, Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4, iPad 6, and an iPhone Xs
Index of Custom Dictionaries for Kobo eReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Do you have firmware 4.24.15676 installed? If so, dictionary stuff has changed quite a lot in preparation for the new Kobo dictionaries due to be released tomorrow Oct 1st.

You might like to consider this approach:
  • Connect Kobo to PC via USB
  • Move all your custom dictionaries out of subdirectory .kobo/dict and into subdirectory .kobo/custom-dict
  • Rename your custom Chambers dictionary to dicthtml-Chambers.zip
    Rename your custom Websters dictionary to dicthtml-Websters.zip
  • Safely disconnect Kobo and reboot. The reboot is important.

After the reboot you'll have 2 new entries in the dictionary drop-down:
- dicthtml-Chambers.zip
- dicthtml-Websters.zip
and you'll never need to worry again about your custom dictionaries being overwritten during a sync.
Hello,

I've been procrastinating making my custom dictionaries work since last Fall, and finally got around to it today. My dictionaries were sitting in .kobo/custom-dict with their original archive names. They never imported, so I followed your naming convention exactly and rebooted. Now I see the dictionaries listed as you describe, but they don't work. "No definition found. Try another dictionary". They're even listed in the "Manage dictionaries" page in Settings. I've examined the zip files and they're nested dicthtml.zip files with html docs inside. They don't seem corrupt. I can't see what I could be doing wrong. Got any suggestions?

~Dˢ


Last edited by Cootey; 05-12-2021 at 04:13 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:08 AM   #952
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 5,751
Karma: 14391668
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Device: Kobo: H2O, GloHD, KA1, ClaraHD, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Hello,

I've been procrastinating making my custom dictionaries work since last Fall, and finally got around to it today. My dictionaries were sitting in .kobo/custom-dict with their original archive names. They never imported, so I followed your naming convention exactly and rebooted. Now I see the dictionaries listed as you describe, but they don't work. "No definition found. Try another dictionary". They're even listed in the "Manage dictionaries" page in Settings. I've examined the zip files and they're nested dicthtml.zip files with html docs inside. They don't seem corrupt. I can't see what I could be doing wrong. Got any suggestions?
You did do the reboot (power off/power on) as specified in the bolded instructions in your link, didn't you?

Which dictionary did you have selected when you took that screenshot? My copy of the Chambers1908 free English dictionary doesn't include the word brownstone so your screenshot isn't surprising, if that's the one you had selected.

However brownstone is included in both the default Kobo English and my copy of the custom free Websters1913 dictionary. See below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dict_kobo.png
Views:	59
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	187085   Click image for larger version

Name:	dict_webster.png
Views:	55
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	187086  
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:25 PM   #953
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Cootey's Avatar
 
Posts: 491
Karma: 2947688
Join Date: Apr 2017
Device: 2 Clara HDs, Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4, iPad 6, and an iPhone Xs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
You did do the reboot (power off/power on) as specified in the bolded instructions in your link, didn't you?
Indeed. Power off. Power On.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Which dictionary did you have selected when you took that screenshot? My copy of the Chambers1908 free English dictionary doesn't include the word brownstone so your screenshot isn't surprising, if that's the one you had selected.

However brownstone is included in both the default Kobo English and my copy of the custom free Websters1913 dictionary. See below.
That is funny! But a fluke. Words like failure, future, and life are also not found with both Webster & Chambers. I don't recall which of the two side-loaded dictionaries was selected at the time of the screen shot, but it wasn't the default English dictionary.

Considering that I had these dictionaries working before the internal dictionary engine was updated last Fall, there must be something configured incorrectly? I have Nickel Menu installed. Ultra Manga Reader… Images in the screensaver folder… I don't know what else to say. The dictionaries show up installed in Settings. If I disable them, my Kobo properly removes them from the custom-dict folder. However, they don't work on any book that I've tried.

Update:
I uninstalled Nickel Menu, but no luck. Got any other suggestions?

Last edited by Cootey; 05-13-2021 at 12:01 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:00 AM   #954
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 5,751
Karma: 14391668
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Device: Kobo: H2O, GloHD, KA1, ClaraHD, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Update:
I uninstalled Nickel Menu, but no luck. Got any other suggestions?
I don't think NickelMenu is the problem. I, and many others, also use it but no-one's ever reported their custom dictionaries no longer work.

Other thoughts...
  • Is the Kobo default English dictionary working correctly?
  • Does your Kobo directory structure look something like the attached screenshot? I use Windows.
  • What format is the book? epub, kepub, other? What's your Kobo firmware version?
  • Is it possible the book you're using is stuffed full of soft hyphens? That would stop both dictionary and search functions from working properly. Try a different epub or kepub.
  • Have your custom dictionaries become corrupt? Have you ever un-zipped then re-zipped them? If you send me a link to your Chambers/Webster zips I could try them on my Kobo to rule that out. And/or I could send you a link to the Chambers/Webster zips that I'm using and you could try those.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dict_dir_struct.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	187103  
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:43 AM   #955
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Cootey's Avatar
 
Posts: 491
Karma: 2947688
Join Date: Apr 2017
Device: 2 Clara HDs, Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4, iPad 6, and an iPhone Xs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I don't think NickelMenu is the problem. I, and many others, also use it but no-one's ever reported their custom dictionaries no longer work.
Interesting. Since I saw no change in behavior with the removal of NickelMenu (as posted in my update), then it's probably not at fault.

A lot of these were already answered in my original and follow up posts, but here they are in one place:
  • Is the Kobo default English dictionary working correctly? YES
  • Does your Kobo directory structure look something like the attached screenshot? I use Windows. YES (I use MacOS, but the Kobo linux directory structure is the same)
  • What format is the book? epub, kepub, other? What's your Kobo firmware version? I TRIED EPUB AND KEPUB 4.26.16704
  • Is it possible the book you're using is stuffed full of soft hyphens? That would stop both dictionary and search functions from working properly. Try a different epub or kepub. I TRIED MULTIPLE EBOOKS.
  • Have your custom dictionaries become corrupt? Have you ever un-zipped then re-zipped them? If you send me a link to your Chambers/Webster zips I could try them on my Kobo to rule that out. And/or I could send you a link to the Chambers/Webster zips that I'm using and you could try those. THEY DIDN'T SEEM CORRUPT WHEN I UNARCHIVED THEM THE OTHER DAY, BUT YOUR LAST SUGGESTION IS A GOOD ONE. I'LL TAKE YOU UP ON IT.

I've noticed other issues, however. For instance, I had screenshots enabled before I removed NM, but now I cannot disable that setting. I've loaded the config and set it to false twice since removing NM, verified that the setting is set back to false, but upon reboot screenshots are still set to true.

I've deleted books remotely, which always worked before, but ghosts of them remain on my Kobo. I've corrected my account twice, but that doesn't touch sideloaded books. When I select one of these vestigial ebooks, the Kobo Clara crashes. Even though the books are not there, I still have to carefully select the three dots to remove them (otherwise the book is selected and kaboom).

I'm thinking of nuking it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

If after a factory reset, I *still* have problems with the dictionary, I'll definitely have you look over those files and try out yours.

I've never had a Kobo misbehave quite so badly before. Something must be corrupt. Frankly, I blame Ultimate Manga Reader which crashed my Kobo so numerously last weekend, I had to disable it so that I didn't accidentally select it again.

Last edited by Cootey; 05-14-2021 at 01:45 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 02:54 AM   #956
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 21,871
Karma: 38564799
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Interesting. Since I saw no change in behavior with the removal of NickelMenu (as posted in my update), then it's probably not at fault.

A lot of these were already answered in my original and follow up posts, but here they are in one place:
  • Is the Kobo default English dictionary working correctly? YES
  • Does your Kobo directory structure look something like the attached screenshot? I use Windows. YES (I use MacOS, but the Kobo linux directory structure is the same)
  • What format is the book? epub, kepub, other? What's your Kobo firmware version? I TRIED EPUB AND KEPUB 4.26.16704
  • Is it possible the book you're using is stuffed full of soft hyphens? That would stop both dictionary and search functions from working properly. Try a different epub or kepub. I TRIED MULTIPLE EBOOKS.
  • Have your custom dictionaries become corrupt? Have you ever un-zipped then re-zipped them? If you send me a link to your Chambers/Webster zips I could try them on my Kobo to rule that out. And/or I could send you a link to the Chambers/Webster zips that I'm using and you could try those. THEY DIDN'T SEEM CORRUPT WHEN I UNARCHIVED THEM THE OTHER DAY, BUT YOUR LAST SUGGESTION IS A GOOD ONE. I'LL TAKE YOU UP ON IT.
Did you try a search of the dictionary? I don't think you mentioned this, but, can be done without opening a book. Tap the search icon, choose dictionary and the desired dictionary and search for a word. If that doesn't work, then it probably is the dictionary file.
Quote:
I've noticed other issues, however. For instance, I had screenshots enabled before I removed NM, but now I cannot disable that setting. I've loaded the config and set it to false twice since removing NM, verified that the setting is set back to false, but upon reboot screenshots are still set to true.
I don't know how NickelMenu does this. I know there is also a patch, so maybe it is happening in some way like that.
Quote:
I've deleted books remotely, which always worked before, but ghosts of them remain on my Kobo. I've corrected my account twice, but that doesn't touch sideloaded books. When I select one of these vestigial ebooks, the Kobo Clara crashes. Even though the books are not there, I still have to carefully select the three dots to remove them (otherwise the book is selected and kaboom).

I'm thinking of nuking it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

If after a factory reset, I *still* have problems with the dictionary, I'll definitely have you look over those files and try out yours.

I've never had a Kobo misbehave quite so badly before. Something must be corrupt. Frankly, I blame Ultimate Manga Reader which crashed my Kobo so numerously last weekend, I had to disable it so that I didn't accidentally select it again.
All that sounds like a corrupt database. By "corrected my account", do you mean the "Repair your Kobo account" in settings? That is mainly fixing issues with purchased books. I shouldn't go near sideloaded books. And it probably doesn't do anything if the database is corrupted. Or it might, but, the fixes probably won't get saved to the database properly.

Signing out of the account and back in usually fixes it. That recreates the database. And factory reset should definitely fix it, but, is usually overkill. Though you sound like you might be in the mood to do just that If you do a factory reset, do it from the Developers options or the external method. These wipe the root partition and reinstalls the factory firmware. The method from the Device information doesn't do that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:11 AM   #957
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Cootey's Avatar
 
Posts: 491
Karma: 2947688
Join Date: Apr 2017
Device: 2 Clara HDs, Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4, iPad 6, and an iPhone Xs
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Did you try a search of the dictionary? I don't think you mentioned this, but, can be done without opening a book. Tap the search icon, choose dictionary and the desired dictionary and search for a word. If that doesn't work, then it probably is the dictionary file.
I wish I had thought to do that before. It's not something that occurred to me. In my factory reset Clara HD, I searched for the word "book", which the default English dictionary defined with aplomb, but the two imported dictionaries declared "No definition found". I suppose the dictionary files could be damaged, even though they seem to be compressed correctly. I unzipped them and there's not much to them except a dicthtml folder with html files inside.

Quote:
I don't know how NickelMenu does this. I know there is also a patch, so maybe it is happening in some way like that.
I uninstalled NM by following the directions and sticking a file called "uninstall" in the NM folder, but NM remained installed. I had to resort to turning off the Kobo in the middle of booting to force uninstall NM. Something was hinky.

Quote:
All that sounds like a corrupt database. By "corrected my account", do you mean the "Repair your Kobo account" in settings? That is mainly fixing issues with purchased books. I shouldn't go near sideloaded books. And it probably doesn't do anything if the database is corrupted. Or it might, but, the fixes probably won't get saved to the database properly.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I tried it (twice), but as I stated above I didn't expect it to touch the sideloaded books. You have confirmed what I observed since the Kobo was misbehaving so badly, I couldn't be certain what was happening.

Quote:
Signing out of the account and back in usually fixes it. That recreates the database. And factory reset should definitely fix it, but, is usually overkill. Though you sound like you might be in the mood to do just that
Haha Yes, I realized I could do that, but figured something was corrupt on my Kobo, so I wanted to be thorough, and there wasn't even a need to launch into orbit.

Quote:
If you do a factory reset, do it from the Developers options or the external method. These wipe the root partition and reinstalls the factory firmware. The method from the Device information doesn't do that.
Now this is interesting. I didn't know this. I (obvi.) used the method from device information. I didn't realize the dev factory reset was a deeper reset. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Last edited by Cootey; 05-14-2021 at 06:28 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:36 AM   #958
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Cootey's Avatar
 
Posts: 491
Karma: 2947688
Join Date: Apr 2017
Device: 2 Clara HDs, Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4, iPad 6, and an iPhone Xs
Index of Custom Dictionaries for Kobo eReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
  • Have your custom dictionaries become corrupt? Have you ever un-zipped then re-zipped them? If you send me a link to your Chambers/Webster zips I could try them on my Kobo to rule that out. And/or I could send you a link to the Chambers/Webster zips that I'm using and you could try those.


After doing a factory reset from the developer options, I set my Kobo Clara HD up, logged into Overdrive, and downloaded my books from Kobo. Then I redownloaded the dictionary files from here ☞ https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...bster%27s+1913



Next, I renamed them with dicthtml- as a prefix and stuck them in the custom-dict directory.



Then I powered my Kobo off, then powered it back on.



Websters 1913 and Chambers 1908 show up as dictionaries in the dictionary settings and when searching for a word using the magnifying glass on the home page. Neither dictionary can find any words.



I'm going to bed. I may launch my Clara HD into space next.

Last edited by Cootey; 05-14-2021 at 06:49 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:01 AM   #959
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 5,751
Karma: 14391668
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Device: Kobo: H2O, GloHD, KA1, ClaraHD, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
After doing a factory reset from the developer options, I set my Kobo Clara HD up, logged into Overdrive, and downloaded my books from Kobo. Then I redownloaded the dictionary files from here ☞ https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...bster%27s+1913

Next, I renamed them with dicthtml- as a prefix and stuck them in the custom-dict directory.
I downloaded both the custom dictionaries from your above link and installed them. Both of them work OK for me.

This is a bit of a long shot, but in the interest of leaving no stone unturned...

I did notice that both downloaded files are a "zip inside a zip". The actual dictionary is the inner dicthtml.zip file. This inner zip is the one which needs to be extracted then renamed then installed.

I only mention this because you said you were using a Mac. Now I must confess I know less than zero about how Macs work but over the years I have read various posts on MR which imply that Macs do "strange auto-unzipping things".

P.S. I'm now officially out of ideas.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:11 PM   #960
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Cootey's Avatar
 
Posts: 491
Karma: 2947688
Join Date: Apr 2017
Device: 2 Clara HDs, Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4, iPad 6, and an iPhone Xs
Index of Custom Dictionaries for Kobo eReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I did notice that both downloaded files are a "zip inside a zip". The actual dictionary is the inner dicthtml.zip file. This inner zip is the one which needs to be extracted then renamed then installed.

I would normally say that Macs don’t automagically unzip things unless you set them up that way, but recently I discovered that Apple Files (the iCloud file viewer app for iOS) automagically unzips files if I double tap them. Hmm. Convenience, meet Security Flaw.

However, that aside, I never unzipped the dictionary files and renamed the inner dicthtml.zip. In fact, the original files sat in my custom-dict directory as downloaded from that link ages ago. For years they worked just fine as nested zip files, but from what you’re saying, since the dictionary update, they can no longer be nested? I’ll try it out. Thank you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Cootey; 05-14-2021 at 07:26 PM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
kobo dictionaries

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New custom English dictionaries ShellShock Kobo Developer's Corner 166 09-22-2020 02:48 PM
Kobo desktop loading dictionaries brudigia Kobo Reader 1 07-16-2014 12:55 PM
Touch building custom dictionaries, especially Japanese-English tshering Kobo Reader 0 07-12-2012 06:00 PM
Custom dictionaries for 350/650? 1drey Sony Reader 5 12-28-2010 12:49 PM
non-English dictionaries in eReader on iPod Touch? ficbot Reading and Management 1 10-11-2008 09:04 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:44 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.