Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2021, 02:41 PM   #76
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
To answer the second part of your question about which template takes precedence, it seems to work this way: When you first send a book to the Kobo and disconnect, NickelSeries uses the subtitle (text column as in my previous post) template. When you later reconnect, the template in the driver is used.

How do I know this? (I'm no expert with this stuff.) You can see in my previous attachment that "Pages" is capitalized. But in the driver, using the same format, "pages" is NOT capitalized.

The first time I disconnect after sending a book, I can search for the book on the Kobo and see the subtitle as "xxx Pages. The next time I connect and look at the same book, I see "xxx pages".

I believe this performing exactly as intended. In the end, all I know is -- it works!
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:35 PM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by criscros View Post
Hoping for a little help, if possible.

I am trying to make a column built from other columns to use the Count Pages column. I would like 'Pages:' before the count to show and right now I only get the count numbers.

I do pretty well with the tech stuff, but I'm dyslexic and my syntax sux. If I see an example, I can usually modify it to do what I want. I've been trying to read the calibre template pages and it's been difficult. I can only be grateful that calibre is so forgiving, because I probably have some really whacked out code in my setup.

Also, if the metadata/subtitle in the KoboTouch driver is set to {#pages:|Pages: |}, which one takes precedence?

Thanks for such a great feature!!
You don't actually need another column.

My column is named Pages and in the book details view which includes the description, I get Pages: and then the page number.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cslibre.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	187005
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:24 PM   #78
criscros
Fulltime reader
criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
It sounds like you are trying to do what I did here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=64

You need a Text column to pull the number from the page Count column and add the text "Pages".

I used the same template in the driver.
How elegantly simple! I kept trying to put variables in for some reason.
This is what I needed to see!
Thanks!
criscros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:32 PM   #79
criscros
Fulltime reader
criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
To answer the second part of your question about which template takes precedence, it seems to work this way: When you first send a book to the Kobo and disconnect, NickelSeries uses the subtitle (text column as in my previous post) template. When you later reconnect, the template in the driver is used.

How do I know this? (I'm no expert with this stuff.) You can see in my previous attachment that "Pages" is capitalized. But in the driver, using the same format, "pages" is NOT capitalized.

The first time I disconnect after sending a book, I can search for the book on the Kobo and see the subtitle as "xxx Pages. The next time I connect and look at the same book, I see "xxx pages".

I believe this performing exactly as intended. In the end, all I know is -- it works!
That's funny!! My kind of dysfunctional coding!
I try every combo of stuff I run across until I see it appear the way I want it on the reader or in calibre.
I did find an HTML tryit editor online to test, so that helps too.
In the end, just getting it to work is all I can hope for!
Old 01-06-2022, 04:01 PM   #80
Grimaud
Guru
Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS-650
Hello,

Does the length of series’ name has an upper limit?

I have a couple of books from series with really long name. Using NickelSeries and side-loading kepubs on my Elipsa with MacOS Finder, those books (and only those books) don’t have their series' name shown on the library’s page.

Every other books, with shorter series’ name, created using the same tool, side loaded following the same steps have their series correctly shown by the Elipsa.

I conducted some tests and if a series’ name is 31 characters long or more, the Elipsa don’t show those series and they also don’t appear when using the series tab or looking at the information page of each book (other metadata is correctly shown).

If it’s 30 characters long or less, NickelSeries is working great and all the books have their series shown on the library screen, the information page of each book and the corresponding series are created and visible when using the series tab.

The title of each book is created as ‘Name of the series [place of that book in the series]’ (so The Lord of the Ring*1, The Lord of the Ring*2, etc.) and regardless of the length of a series' name, the Elipsa is always showing the title (no limit around 30 characters).
Grimaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:35 PM   #81
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaud View Post
Hello,

Does the length of series’ name has an upper limit?

I have a couple of books from series with really long name. Using NickelSeries and side-loading kepubs on my Elipsa with MacOS Finder, those books (and only those books) don’t have their series' name shown on the library’s page.

Every other books, with shorter series’ name, created using the same tool, side loaded following the same steps have their series correctly shown by the Elipsa.

I conducted some tests and if a series’ name is 31 characters long or more, the Elipsa don’t show those series and they also don’t appear when using the series tab or looking at the information page of each book (other metadata is correctly shown).

If it’s 30 characters long or less, NickelSeries is working great and all the books have their series shown on the library screen, the information page of each book and the corresponding series are created and visible when using the series tab.

The title of each book is created as ‘Name of the series [place of that book in the series]’ (so The Lord of the Ring*1, The Lord of the Ring*2, etc.) and regardless of the length of a series' name, the Elipsa is always showing the title (no limit around 30 characters).
Just looking at my devices, the longest series name I can see is 99 characters long. That is on a book from Kobo. The longest sideloaded is 48 characters. Both of these are displaying, but, the names are truncated. The exact length displayed depends on where it is.

I don't use NickelSeries. The series info for sideloaded books is set by calibre. I assume that NickelSeries is not handling the longer series names. Or for some reason they are not in the book when it is put on the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:59 PM   #82
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I guess back in Aug 2021, there was a commit that fixed the parsing of epub3s but the posted release binary never got updated. I can confirm that problematic epub3s that I had now import correctly with this fix, and luckily AppVeyor recently rebuilt it, so before it disappears again, here is the binary for those who were in the same boat.
Attached Files
File Type: zip NickelSeries-0deffca.zip (70.5 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by rtiangha; 05-25-2022 at 08:03 PM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:28 AM   #83
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
This is really a timer-saver, I always hate that when I add a new book but I have to replug Kobo device with Calibre to make the series info of the book to be displayed into the Kobo device.

Just tried it, works very well, thank you.

EDIT:

It just works for epub/kepub, if it works for series for all files such as cbz, it would be much better.

Last edited by codychan; 07-03-2022 at 11:08 AM.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:57 PM   #84
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I just installed it too and it's great. No more having to connect twice each time you want to add book(s). Thank you for this.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:54 AM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can use NickelMenu to also prevent having to plug in twice to update metadata.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 08:12 AM   #86
criscros
Fulltime reader

I had to refer back to this thread after making some changes to my Clara. It seems to get buried in the forum and I wonder how many people miss it.

This is such a great time saver, and so easy to install. I just wanted to thank geek1011 again for working on NickelSeries and providing it for us!!

Old 11-16-2022, 08:16 AM   #87
criscros
Fulltime reader

Funny, I just noticed the Old Thread Warning:

This thread is quite old and may contain outdated information. We recommend that you begin a new discussion if you like to talk about a similar topic. Of course, you may also proceed and reply here.

The thread may be old, but NickelSeries works better than when it was new!
But, I'm old too, so I may be biased.

Old 12-17-2022, 12:10 PM   #88
Scrath
Scrath began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Hi,
I'm currently trying to get this to work properly on a newly bought kobo clara 2e running firmware version 4.35.20400.

Sometimes when I plug the device in to my computer via USB it freezes and reboots after a a couple seconds.

Is this a known issue?

I'm trying to use Autoshelf along with this to organize multiple series into a single collection. I don't think this is causing the issue though as I've also encountered it while just using NickelSeries alone when I was troubleshooting.

I also can't get the metadata to parse at all. All I'm doing is copying a couple of folders of books over to the kobo and then disconnecting the USB cable.

I've attached the content.opf file from one of my books that I used for testing.
Attached Files
File Type: opf content.opf (18.4 KB, 53 views)
Scrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 12:58 PM   #89
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrath View Post
Hi,
I'm currently trying to get this to work properly on a newly bought kobo clara 2e running firmware version 4.35.20400.

Sometimes when I plug the device in to my computer via USB it freezes and reboots after a a couple seconds.

Is this a known issue?

I'm trying to use Autoshelf along with this to organize multiple series into a single collection. I don't think this is causing the issue though as I've also encountered it while just using NickelSeries alone when I was troubleshooting.

I also can't get the metadata to parse at all. All I'm doing is copying a couple of folders of books over to the kobo and then disconnecting the USB cable.

I've attached the content.opf file from one of my books that I used for testing.
This might be the reason 4.35 was pulled. I don't believe it is NickelSeries causing it, but I'll confirm later. You could always try uninstalling NickelSeries and seeing if it still fails (your existing metadata will be left as-is).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 02:09 PM   #90
Scrath
Scrath began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
This might be the reason 4.35 was pulled. I don't believe it is NickelSeries causing it, but I'll confirm later. You could always try uninstalling NickelSeries and seeing if it still fails (your existing metadata will be left as-is).
What do you mean with pulled? Did kobo "unrelease" this firmware version because it was buggy? Since the initial setup I've kept my reader with wifi off since I prefer the longer battery life and won't get bothered by update notifications.

The issue seems to be caused by NickelSeries. It does not happen when NickelSeries is not installed. In stock configuration or with just Autoshelf installed everything works fine.

If I can assist with any logs I'd be glad to do so. Just note that I'm very new to the kobo system and don't know what logs there are and how to get them ;D
Scrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, ldpreload, nickel, series, seriesmeta