Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-03-2021, 11:23 AM   #196
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8'', Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Real pirates just screen capture and OCR, or more often use an ARC of the paperback, chop spine, scan, OCR.
Not any more. Now they just deDRM retail copies and upload them. Scanning and OCR-ing is still done with PDF, but no longer with ordinary ebooks.

Before you ask how I know, yes, I've visited a couple of well-organized pirate sites, because it's easy to see new and interesting releases sorted by genre there, with synopsis and all. Much easier than on any regular bookstore sites. Of course I then go and buy the books, once I've found something to my liking. Some of those webpages don't even store the files themselves, only link to them on various shady file-sharing sites. But I like the way they organize their releases.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:00 AM   #197
Josieb1
Wizard
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis2, LibraH20, Voyage, ClaraHD, PW4,
I upgraded from 4.23 to 5.17 yesterday, added the new tools, and everything works fine. I just hope it stays that way.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:33 PM   #198
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Not any more. Now they just deDRM retail copies and upload them. Scanning and OCR-ing is still done with PDF, but no longer with ordinary ebooks.
I think the point we agree on, is what ever the popular mechanism of the moment is to defeat DRM, the actual DRM most inconveniences ordinary people and is no barrier to criminals.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:05 PM   #199
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I think the point we agree on, is what ever the popular mechanism of the moment is to defeat DRM, the actual DRM most inconveniences ordinary people and is no barrier to criminals.
Unfortunately, inconveniencing ordinary people who would like to share their books with friends and relatives provides justification for most publishers and sellers to keep DRM around, even if it does nothing to block criminals.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:09 AM   #200
Reader2021
Reader2021 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I won't need KFX going forward. I had a few dozen books from Amazon on my Kindle Paperwhite. When I bought books, I sent them directly to the Kindle. But now I want all my books to be device independent so I used Caliber "Save to Disk" to copy them all to my PC. They are in KFX format. It would have been easier and quicker if I could convert them from KFX to EPUB on Calibre. Since it wouldn’t work, I had to download them all from Amazon in AZW3 format first then convert to EPUB. It was only a “one time” task.

So, if I ever buy any more books from Amazon, I’ll download them in AZW3 format to PC first, then convert and load to Kindle or another device. 😊
Reader2021 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dedrm