Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-16-2018, 04:14 AM   #1
pinky62
Zealot
pinky62 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paper white
Question How to match book library to that on dropbox

I wish to pose two quick questions. 1 How can I ensure the book titles and data match excatly that on drop box. Should I delete all and then upload? 2. Which is best way to back up library to move to another laptop?
pinky62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:09 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
1. I use GoodSych to synchronise all my data, including calibre library folders, to a commercial FTP service, file names are preserved. Goodsync interoperates with a number of Cloud Services including Dropbox.

2. See How do I move my calibre data from one computer to another?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2018, 02:32 AM   #3
pinky62
Zealot

Question how can I ensure that new additions to dropbox match?

hi I want dropbox to reflect the calibre library exactly. I almost always edit a book after adding, to add my own tags etc. The dropbox does not reflect changes and shows books as originally added and they dont match how can I resolve the issue?tia
Old 10-17-2018, 02:43 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Use a file syncing program to mirror the changes to the Dropbox folder (one-way sync). I use FreeFileSync, there are others.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:48 AM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Wait a moment, is your Calibre library already in the Dropbox folder? If so, scratch my previous post. If it isn't and you have a copy in Dropbox which you want to be in sync, then use FreeFileSync or its alternatives.

If the library is in Dropbox, but the changes made in Calibre don't register, then there is something else going on.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2018, 08:34 AM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Calibre normally just stores changes in its database. You need to manually run Embed metadata or Polish to update the metadata inside the actual books. Those commands aren't shown by default so you'll need to add them yourself to either toolbar or context (right click) menu.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:48 AM   #7
pinky62
Zealot

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
1. I use GoodSych to synchronise all my data, including calibre library folders, to a commercial FTP service, file names are preserved. Goodsync interoperates with a number of Cloud Services including Dropbox.

2. See How do I move my calibre data from one computer to another?

BR
I don’t understand why do I need another software to sync doesn’t Dropbox sync files automatically??
Old 10-17-2018, 12:17 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky62 View Post
I don’t understand why do I need another software to sync doesn’t Dropbox sync files automatically??
Active (while Calibre is running) sync is deadly to Library integrity.

You might read the whole FAQ section (it is not huge) and glean some of the issues.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
hi I want dropbox to reflect the calibre library exactly. I almost always edit a book after adding, to add my own tags etc. The dropbox does not reflect changes and shows books as originally added and they dont match how can I resolve the issue?tia
Changing the metadata in Calibre does not automatically update the metadata stored inside the ebook file (it merely updates the Calibre database). If you want updated metadata to be stored inside the ebook file stored in the Calibre library you use the “embed metadata” plugin and run it on the book(s) after making changes in the Calibre GUI.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Active (while Calibre is running) sync is deadly to Library integrity.

You might read the whole FAQ section (it is not huge) and glean some of the issues.

@pinky62 - here's the long form of my rationale.

I don't like the idea of having to stop a program (Dropbox) before I run another program (calibre), and when I close a program (calibre) having to restart another program (Dropbox).

Yes I know I could do it within a command script, but then I have to maintain and manage that script as I would any other program. I start calibre from many places:

taskbar,
'desktop' shortcut,
command line,
file explorer open with,
file explorer send to,
from xplorer²,
from Evernote.
from OneNote

It would necessitate sprinkling symlinks to the command script in multiple locations (assuming they would work everywhere), which is more stuff to maintain and manage.

By using a separate tool to do the synchronised backups I don't have all that hassle. And I can use the same tool with the same settings to maintain an additional backup on a local USB disk. And if I wanted I could have others elsewhere, e.g. Amazon Cloud etc. Dropbox and most similar services are narcissistic - they only know about themselves

And some of the folder/file sync tools, such as GoodSynch, offer sensible alternatives for dealing with hard and symbolic links. I'm not sure that Dropbox, OneDrive etc offer that.

And I don't want different backup solutions for different types of data. A shelf of books == a pile of photo albums == a heap of videos == a stack of music == a jumble of invoices etc.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-17-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Moderator Notice
I merged this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=311565 into here

@pinky62 - please don't post the the same issue multiple times - read the rules in the Guidelines (link at bottom of most pages).

BR
Old 10-18-2018, 09:24 PM   #12
pinky62
Zealot

Thanks BetterRed, Ducks one last question it seems if I do embed metadata plugin after I do changes shouldn't then I should be able to do away with need for a filesync program?
Old 10-18-2018, 10:41 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks BetterRed, Ducks one last question it seems if I do embed metadata plugin after I do changes shouldn't then I should be able to do away with need for a filesync program?
Only if you don't plan on making any additions or changes.

Cloud storage is not a replacement for local storage. The NET does go down, become inaccessible. (There was 3 hours a few days ago that I could not get my YouTube fix , the dread 500 error)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:31 AM   #14
pinky62
Zealot

thanks a mllion
Old 10-19-2018, 12:38 AM   #15
pinky62
Zealot

By the way what is the difference between embedding metadata and polishing a book? A