Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-27-2017, 07:57 PM   #31
gabbia
gabbia began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Any progress on this topic? Do any tools work with 32gb version?
Not sure if i should get it in case i get a chance...
gabbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:25 PM   #32
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbia View Post
Any progress on this topic? Do any tools work with 32gb version?
Not sure if i should get it in case i get a chance...
If you are comfortable using the serial port to install the jailbreak and anything else that you want to use.

We do not have a jailbreak file for the PW3-32 (no one has volunteered the file).

Even if we did have that file, we can not (yet) re-package any of our update_*.bin packages until KindleTool is updated.
And the maintainer of KindleTool is still away at school.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2017, 06:22 AM   #33
gabbia
gabbia began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If you are comfortable using the serial port to install the jailbreak and anything else that you want to use.

We do not have a jailbreak file for the PW3-32 (no one has volunteered the file).

Even if we did have that file, we can not (yet) re-package any of our update_*.bin packages until KindleTool is updated.
Thanks very much!
A further issue: if i were to give some things a try and the device "bricked", would i usually be able to bring it back to life?
gabbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:22 AM   #34
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbia View Post
Thanks very much!
A further issue: if i were to give some things a try and the device "bricked", would i usually be able to bring it back to life?
With only a few exceptions, nothing except the update_*.bin packages are model number sensitive.
And that is only the packaging.

The few things that are firmware version specific will either work or not work.

Nothing, except the system backup routines (which we no longer use) are sensitive to the memory layout.
Well, except the one I am working on now, that one determines the memory layout so that it will always work.

Plus, with serial port access you have easy access to booting the device into the alternate operating system installation.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #35
Wingsnail
Wingsnail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite3 Manga Version
Quote:

Hi there, I just got a new kpw3 32g version from amazon jp. I wanna have it jailbroken to be able to read epub files, so I keep it as brand new just in case if there is any step must be done before booting it up first time.

Is there any update on the jailbreak of kpw3 32g version now, or anything I can help with the jailbreak progress?
Wingsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #36
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsnail View Post
Hi there, I just got a new kpw3 32g version from amazon jp. I wanna have it jailbroken to be able to read epub files, so I keep it as brand new just in case if there is any step must be done before booting it up first time.

Is there any update on the jailbreak of kpw3 32g version now, or anything I can help with the jailbreak progress?

If you have not turned it on for the first time, please keep it that way for today. there is something useful I think that we can do on the first boot up.

I have a custom made software update that I believe will make the kpw3 32g capable of jailbreaking. Because it is custom made, there is a risk that it would brick your device.

I do not believe that it will brick your device, but until I have someone try, I can't say for sure either way.

If you would be willing to test this, I will get you the file and instructions.

While you decide, please read through the main software jailbreaking thread. My file will replace the "factory firmware" step. all other steps will take place as if you were using a PW3 ( so ignore comments about like " if you are using PW2 skip this" ) , but will all also need specific files not listed in that thread.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:14 PM   #37
Wingsnail

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
If you have not turned it on for the first time, please keep it that way for today. there is something useful I think that we can do on the first boot up.

I have a custom made software update that I believe will make the kpw3 32g capable of jailbreaking. Because it is custom made, there is a risk that it would brick your device.

I do not believe that it will brick your device, but until I have someone try, I can't say for sure either way.

If you would be willing to test this, I will get you the file and instructions.

While you decide, please read through the main software jailbreaking thread. My file will replace the "factory firmware" step. all other steps will take place as if you were using a PW3 ( so ignore comments about like " if you are using PW2 skip this" ) , but will all also need specific files not listed in that thread.
Yes the device is not turned on yet and will remain so. I woulk like to give it try to see if it works, just give me sometime to read and understand the thread above.

I will let you know as soon as I'm ready.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:06 PM   #38
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
honor to brave and risky people!
hius07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #39
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes the device is not turned on yet and will remain so. I woulk like to give it try to see if it works, just give me sometime to read and understand the thread above.

I will let you know as soon as I'm ready.

Thanks Wingsnail, if you have not found the link, the main thread for software jailbreak is this.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877

When we have figured out what we want you to try to check for us on first boot, here are the details of the changes you need to make form that thread.

Steps 1 - 3 are what we are working on now in this thread

Step 4 is the part where you install my custom package, and I expect it to work, but this is the place where it may not work.
I have tested this in various combinations on my own device, so I believe it is safe, but there's always a small chance when you are the first to try on real pw3-32.

The normal comments on here that these factory release are not meant to be used for day-to-day purposes are even more important for you using this custom, you will want to make sure you get to step 7 quickly.

Step 4 can normally take 10-20 minutes where the screen doesn't change, so don't panic yet.

If step 4 fails, stop and come back here to describe the symptoms. Don't try to reboot the kindle or anything else.

Step 5 will work the same once you did step 4 - this is the step that lets the jailbreak stay when you update to normal software.

Step 6 you will need the updated version that I have in another thread, I can link you to that later.

Step 7, this is where you install a normal software on your device. I would recommend version 5.8.7, as it appears to have full support for pw3-32gb, and it is packaged in a way that if it does not, it won't hurt your kindle. this is also the most recent version where you can start over at step 4 easily.

Step 8 - Once you have done step 7, this is the same as any other PW3, though some people packages may not be built to include the PW3-32GB device types, I can show you how to re-package them so they work.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:17 PM   #40
knc1
Going Viral

If any PW3-32 owner is planning on opening the case - -
We do not have any pictures of the board.

And it would be nice to know the part number of the eMMC being used, but that is probably hiding under the RFI shields.

If the shields are soldered in place on this device, do not risk harm to your device by trying to remove them.
We can probably get that part number with a little bit of u-boot reverse engineering.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:24 PM   #41
Wingsnail

Quote:
Thanks Wingsnail, if you have not found the link, the main thread for software jailbreak is this.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877

When we have figured out what we want you to try to check for us on first boot, here are the details of the changes you need to make form that thread.

Steps 1 - 3 are what we are working on now in this thread

Step 4 is the part where you install my custom package, and I expect it to work, but this is the place where it may not work.
I have tested this in various combinations on my own device, so I believe it is safe, but there's always a small chance when you are the first to try on real pw3-32.

The normal comments on here that these factory release are not meant to be used for day-to-day purposes are even more important for you using this custom, you will want to make sure you get to step 7 quickly.

Step 4 can normally take 10-20 minutes where the screen doesn't change, so don't panic yet.

If step 4 fails, stop and come back here to describe the symptoms. Don't try to reboot the kindle or anything else.

Step 5 will work the same once you did step 4 - this is the step that lets the jailbreak stay when you update to normal software.

Step 6 you will need the updated version that I have in another thread, I can link you to that later.

Step 7, this is where you install a normal software on your device. I would recommend version 5.8.7, as it appears to have full support for pw3-32gb, and it is packaged in a way that if it does not, it won't hurt your kindle. this is also the most recent version where you can start over at step 4 easily.

Step 8 - Once you have done step 7, this is the same as any other PW3, though some people packages may not be built to include the PW3-32GB device types, I can show you how to re-package them so they work.
Thank you for the clear instruction. As it is my first kindle device, I really need to do some more research about the steps without knowing what the process would be actually like. I think I could understand what you mention here and in the message so far, and I will keep going on that.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:07 PM   #42
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Thank you for the clear instruction. As it is my first kindle device, I really need to do some more research about the steps without knowing what the process would be actually like. I think I could understand what you mention here and in the message so far, and I will keep going on that.
take your time, until you think you are comfortable. I will put these links here

Step 6: Custom "hotfix" package that should work on pw3-manga:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...7&d=1501804774

Step 7: Amazon's 5.8.7 download link:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...hite_5.8.7.bin

Step 8: If you want to install the 'usbnet' package, you can use this one.

http://downloads.ficfeed.com/Kindle/...1N_scratch.bin
Old 08-07-2017, 11:43 PM   #43
Wingsnail

Quote:
If any PW3-32 owner is planning on opening the case - -
We do not have any pictures of the board.

And it would be nice to know the part number of the eMMC being used, but that is probably hiding under the RFI shields.

I will check on that later. The device is not with me at the moment.

What would the number do to help the process?

Quote:
take your time, until you think you are comfortable. I will put these links here

What is the usbnet package supposed to do in the process?
Old 08-08-2017, 12:05 AM   #44
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
It would be nice to be able to tell people how to find the serial port connections.
Without seeing pictures of the board, I can not say they are the same as the lower capacity PW3.
Quote:
Nothing.
But the information is vital to other things that we do here on newly released models.
Quote:
It installs both ssh and telnet daemons.
Either of which gives command line access, either over USB cable or over Wifi.
Having command line access to the system is vital for learning about the internals of a new model.

Note:
You can also get command line access using kTerm on the Kindle.
But of course, it is real hard to use the GUI for kTerm at the same time you are testing how the GUI works or how an application makes use of the GUI.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:26 AM   #45
coplate
Guru

Quote:

like knc said, the usbnet package is one of the things you can install after you are jailbroken. It lets you ssh or telnet into your own kindle, so you can play around with it more.

If you are just looking for epub support ( KOreader? ) then you don't need to install usbnet, its just something I use a lot, and so I re-packaged it for other.

Last edited by coplate; 08-08-2017 at 12:29 AM.