Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad, Librie, REB1100, GEB2150, GEB1150, etc
BookDesigner update

iLiad and Sony Reader owners

Due to the user's requests the following options allowing for more flexible pdf creation have been added to BookDesigner program (make eBooks -> iLiad).

1. User-defined page size ("page size, mm")

2. The MS Word bug related to the "custom page size" has been fixed. Now the pdf's made with the option "pdf printer -> PDFCreator" have correct page sizes (as they chosen in "page size, mm").

3. A possibility to use the inner pdf printer of Open Office ("pdf printer -> Open Office"). This option is recommended for iLiad owners: the pdf's are created faster and they are much more smaller than those ones made with PDFCreator.

4. A possibility to use the pdf printer chosen by the user ("pdf printer -> user: Open Office"). This option is recommended for Sony Reader owners (with PrimoPDF printer). But try to find a proper page size in "page size, mm" (I cannot do it because I have no Sony Reader yet).

The more detailed instruction can be seen pressing the "help" button in "Make iLiad file" window.

Who already has BookDesigner installed.
1. Download and unpack to Program Files/ Book Designer 4.0 directory the last update
http://www.the-ebook.org/e107/e107_f...2006_09_13.zip

Who has no BookDesigner installed.
1. Download and install the main program
http://www.the-ebook.org/e107/e107_f...Designer40.zip
2. Download and unpack to Program Files/ Book Designer 4.0 directory the last update
http://www.the-ebook.org/e107/e107_f...2006_09_13.zip
vvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Thank you! Will try it tonight.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2006, 06:38 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
This is extremely intriguing, but I have to admit that I'm not sure what it is/does... can you (or someone else that's tried it) give us a little summary that is understandable to us who are a little slower to catch on? Thanks!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:42 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Aha, I found some infohere.

From a really quick scan, my guess is that (in the context of Sony and iRex owners) it's a gui application that uses the MS Word binaries to convert from any format that MS Word can read (like HTML, rtf, txt) into a pdf that is formatted to work on Sony Reader or Iliad. I didn't notice if the appropriate settings were clear in that thread or not, but am I close?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:13 PM   #5
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvv
iLiad and Sony Reader owners

Due to the user's requests the following options allowing for more flexible pdf creation have been added to BookDesigner program (make eBooks -> iLiad).
Woo, thanks! I was jealous of the Iliad owners for being able to use BookDesigner.

Have you given any thought to making a BBeB target format in BookDesigner? I realize it's not a trivial request, but I was just curious. Sony Reader handles BBeBs very well (unsurprisingly).
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2006, 07:31 PM   #6
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
This is extremely intriguing, but I have to admit that I'm not sure what it is/does... can you (or someone else that's tried it) give us a little summary that is understandable to us who are a little slower to catch on? Thanks!
Here there is a short program description and some pictures
http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=418
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&page=1&pp=15

Last edited by vvv; 10-05-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:36 PM   #7
vvv
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle
Have you given any thought to making a BBeB target format in BookDesigner? I realize it's not a trivial request, but I was just curious. Sony Reader handles BBeBs very well (unsurprisingly).
A possibility to make books in lrf format was added about one year ago (make eBooks -> Sony Librie, make eBooks -> BookImage -> device:Sony Librie) . However if you will use this option to make lrf books for Sony Reader, bear in mind the following things:
1. For lrf books, Sony Reader understands the western europe languages only (contrary to Librie, which understands everything).
2. For make eBooks -> Sony Librie. Maybe your will need to adjust "page width". Also, if they use not Iwata fonts in Sony Reader, the hyphenations will not work.
3. make eBooks -> BookImage -> device:Sony Librie. Supports any language. But for Sony Reader the "page width" and "page height" have to be adjusted.

Last edited by vvv; 10-05-2006 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:52 PM   #8
vvv
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
From a really quick scan, my guess is that (in the context of Sony and iRex owners) it's a gui application that uses the MS Word binaries to convert from any format that MS Word can read (like HTML, rtf, txt) into a pdf that is formatted to work on Sony Reader or Iliad. I didn't notice if the appropriate settings were clear in that thread or not, but am I close?
A little bit close

If "keep original format" is chosen in Settings, BD uses Word libraries to process some files. But not always, depending on the input file structure. For example, txt, pdf, and fb2 input files are always processed with the own BD converters.

However if somebody does not want to install MS Word, it is enough to check "re-format completely", and the files will be converted with the inner BD converters. But the initial formatting will be completely reconsidered. Sometimes it is better than with Word, sometimes worse...
Old 10-05-2006, 08:14 PM   #9
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

As soon as I get a block of time to experiment, I'll give it a try!
Old 10-05-2006, 09:39 PM   #10
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvv
A possibility to make books in lrf format was added about one year ago (make eBooks -> Sony Librie, make eBooks -> BookImage -> device:Sony Librie) . However if you will use this option to make lrf books for Sony Reader, bear in mind the following things:
1. For lrf books, Sony Reader understands the western europe languages only (contrary to Librie, which understands everything).
2. For make eBooks -> Sony Librie. Maybe your will need to adjust "page width". Also, if they use not Iwata fonts in Sony Reader, the hyphenations will not work.
3. make eBooks -> BookImage -> device:Sony Librie. Supports any language. But for Sony Reader the "page width" and "page height" have to be adjusted.
Wow, I guess I was using a very old version.

Is there a difference between the *.lrf for Librie and for Reader? I thought I read somewhere that the BBeB specs had changed...

I'll experiment and let everyone else know what I discover :-)
Thanks, VVV!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #11
vvv
Zealot

Quote:
Is there a difference between the *.lrf for Librie and for Reader?
I have no Reader yet, so I can conclude about the differences from the user's reports only.

It seems they have changed nothing in the format itself. But the rackals have restricted the unicode support in the Reader: it understands the first 255 symbols only . What for - who knows, I cannot see any reason...

I do not know yet if they changed the inner fonts in the Reader (Librie has the Iwata ones). But if you have the Reader, you can check it yourself. Just load some short English book in BD, activate the hyphenation support in the Librie module, set a proper page width (I think ~ 500), make the e-book, and load it to the Reader. If the right text edge is more or less straight, so they kept Iwata fonts.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:01 PM   #12
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvv
It seems they have changed nothing in the format itself. But the rackals have restricted the unicode support in the Reader: it understands the first 255 symbols only .
What makes you think so? I doubt they removed unicode altogether, considering that text in LRF is encoded in UTF-16. The Reader probably just has fonts with only Western characters.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 02:04 PM   #13
bingle
Addict

Quote:
I'll experiment and let everyone else know what I discover :-)
I put the results of my initial experiments with the LRF creation here, for anyone who is interested.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:27 PM   #14
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Importing a MS-Word formatted into BD gives problems, as styles are not correctly reproduced (re-format completely does not work either). For instance "Normal+Bold" works fine, but "italic1" does not keep the italics in BD. Don't tell me how I got to "italic1" instead of "Normal+Italics", I just did. That's why Word should not be used for complex documents: it thinks ahead of the user when it should not. Easy does not mean good.

Opening and saving RTF file with Wordpad solves this problem, but it also looses footnotes. Will have to check Abiword / Openoffice.org to see what happens.

Importing a CSSed HTML file into BD also gives problems. Apparently the HTML has been formatted following OEB standards 1.0.1, so there are no regular HTML tags for bold / italics. Instead, everything is formatted with span tags.

It looks as if BD cannot understand what a format looks like, only how it is expressed. Funny, copying text from IE into Word keeps visual formatting, but not from Firefox. Again, easy does not mean good.

Anyway, BD looks like a powerful tool. Thanks for a good job, I will keep on learning.
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:14 PM   #15
vvv
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvetinari2
Importing a MS-Word formatted into BD gives problems, as styles are not correctly reproduced.
Send me please some input files with such problems (pointing out where formatting errors appear).

Tags
bookdesigner